• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois police share 'ridiculous' driver's triple-digit speeding ticket on snowy road ...

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX News

Illinois police share 'ridiculous' driver's triple-digit speeding ticket on snowy road to warn others

A driver caught going 80 miles per hour over the speed limit on a slushy Illinois road was not only pulled over and arrested Sunday night — she was publicly scolded by the Illinois State Police for the "ridiculous" act.

Illinois State Police slammed the careless driver in a Facebook post on Monday morning, warning others on snowy streets to drive carefully and watch out for others who are not following the rules of the road.

"If you think we don’t patrol in town, you’re mistaken. And if you think you won’t get in a bad crash in town because the speed limits are low and you’re a good driver, think again. Just remember there are people like this driving next to you," police advised in the post, which has since been shared nearly 2,000 times.

COMMENT:-

Under Illinois laws, "Speeding 35 mph over the speed limit: Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a year in jail and up to $2,500 fine".

Do you think that that is sufficient in a case of "Gross Exhibition of Incredible Stupidity While Driving Like An Idiot"?

Or am I overreacting?

From FOX News

Illinois police share 'ridiculous' driver's triple-digit speeding ticket on snowy road to warn others

A driver caught going 80 miles per hour over the speed limit on a slushy Illinois road was not only pulled over and arrested Sunday night — she was publicly scolded by the Illinois State Police for the "ridiculous" act.

Illinois State Police slammed the careless driver in a Facebook post on Monday morning, warning others on snowy streets to drive carefully and watch out for others who are not following the rules of the road.

"If you think we don’t patrol in town, you’re mistaken. And if you think you won’t get in a bad crash in town because the speed limits are low and you’re a good driver, think again. Just remember there are people like this driving next to you," police advised in the post, which has since been shared nearly 2,000 times.

COMMENT:-

Under Illinois laws, "Speeding 35 mph over the speed limit: Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a year in jail and up to $2,500 fine".

Do you think that that is sufficient in a case of "Gross Exhibition of Incredible Stupidity While Driving Like An Idiot"?

Or am I overreacting?

I was actually convicted on a like charge.

A misdemeanor.

Judge took mercy on me and gave me $150.00 fine, two points on the driving recond (four points in a year = loss of license) and 9 months probation.

I was dressed in modified Marine Dress Blues so I think that influenced his decision.

Now every time I apply for a job I cop to a misdemeanor conviction.

People who purposely drive like assholes in this weather should have their license yanked for 1 year. They are a danger to society and don't deserve the right to drive.

she was doing 115 in a 35. on an icy road that would have put everyone at risk including herself and anyone else in the area.
she should have been arrested. I see her getting her license revoked for a while.

I was actually convicted on a like charge.

A misdemeanor.

Judge took mercy on me and gave me $150.00 fine, two points on the driving recond (four points in a year = loss of license) and 9 months probation.

I was dressed in modified Marine Dress Blues so I think that influenced his decision.

Now every time I apply for a job I cop to a misdemeanor conviction.

I've never managed 85mph over the limit, but I have been tagged at 50+ on two occasions.

The first one was at around 0200 and the only cars on the road were me, the drunk that I had decided that it would be a REALLY good idea to get away from and the police car that I didn't see (because he came onto the freeway right after I passed the entrance). That time the police officer wrote me up for 39 over the limit (at 40 and above over the limit they impound your driver's licence and keys - it's up to you to figure out how you are going to get home after that [this was in the prehistoric past BEFORE cellphones]). The reason that the police officer gave for only writing me up for "39 over" was that I had gone through the series of "S" bends without once touching tire to white line so he was pretty sure that I had actually known how to drive safely (even if a "tad" fast).

The second was when the police officer decided that he couldn't put my actual speed on the ticket for fear that the Judge would laugh at the very idea that the type of car that I was driving could possibly go that fast AND he wasn't about to lie (so I didn't even get a ticket out of that one - I just had to wait for over a half hour while the police officer figured out what he was going to do). Fortunately the police officer never asked what modifications had been done to the car that I was driving. If he had I would have had to tell him that the engine, ignition system, exhaust system, carburettors, and suspension system had all been "upgraded" to "professional racing standards", BUT, since he didn't ask I didn't have to complicate his day - did I?

PS - "Speeding" (qua "speeding per se") is NOT a criminal offence in Canada.

PPS - In the part of BC where I live (Lower Fraser Valley) the "speed limit" signs are generally regarded as "suggested consumer guidelines" and driving at 125 k/hr (~78 mph) in a 90 k/hr (~55 mph) zone is "the norm".

I've never managed 85mph over the limit, but I have been tagged at 50+ on two occasions.

The first one was at around 0200 and the only cars on the road were me, the drunk that I had decided that it would be a REALLY good idea to get away from and the police car that I didn't see (because he came onto the freeway right after I passed the entrance). That time the police officer wrote me up for 39 over the limit (at 40 and above over the limit they impound your driver's licence and keys - it's up to you to figure out how you are going to get home after that [this was in the prehistoric past BEFORE cellphones]). The reason that the police officer gave for only writing me up for "39 over" was that I had gone through the series of "S" bends without once touching tire to white line so he was pretty sure that I had actually known how to drive safely (even if a "tad" fast).

The second was when the police officer decided that he couldn't put my actual speed on the ticket for fear that the Judge would laugh at the very idea that the type of car that I was driving could possibly go that fast AND he wasn't about to lie (so I didn't even get a ticket out of that one - I just had to wait for over a half hour while the police officer figured out what he was going to do). Fortunately the police officer never asked what modifications had been done to the car that I was driving. If he had I would have had to tell him that the engine, ignition system, exhaust system, carburettors, and suspension system had all been "upgraded" to "professional racing standards", BUT, since he didn't ask I didn't have to complicate his day - did I?

PS - "Speeding" (qua "speeding per se") is NOT a criminal offence in Canada.

PPS - In the part of BC where I live (Lower Fraser Valley) the "speed limit" signs are generally regarded as "suggested consumer guidelines" and driving at 125 k/hr (~78 mph) in a 90 k/hr (~55 mph) zone is "the norm".

I was the high side of 100 over. The road went from 55 to 45 to 25 in quick progression. I was 125+ coming into the 25.... I bled off speed and sought a side road to hide. No luck. Finally I see a side road, slink into it. The CHP flew around the corner fishtailing and nearly side swiping parked cars... He lit me up and I put on the most saccharin sweet "yes sir, no sir" routine... I am VERY polite even when the officer was literally tearing the interior looking for something to bust me for.

A K9 unit showed up and they dogged the car. Nothing.

Finally they wrote a few tickets and sent me away because they got a request to assist a pursuit...

California Highway Patrol has a guideline. At 15 over they are required to take action. Action ranges from a flash of the lights to pull you over and write tickets. I have had CHP simply flash their lights to slow down. I have had one pull up next to me after I slowed from 85 to 55 and say over the PA "Now I know your speedometer works." as he passed me.

Used to drive 800-1000 miles a week and no citations.

I was the high side of 100 over. The road went from 55 to 45 to 25 in quick progression. I was 125+ coming into the 25.... I bled off speed and sought a side road to hide. No luck. Finally I see a side road, slink into it. The CHP flew around the corner fishtailing and nearly side swiping parked cars... He lit me up and I put on the most saccharin sweet "yes sir, no sir" routine... I am VERY polite even when the officer was literally tearing the interior looking for something to bust me for.

A K9 unit showed up and they dogged the car. Nothing.

Finally they wrote a few tickets and sent me away because they got a request to assist a pursuit...

California Highway Patrol has a guideline. At 15 over they are required to take action. Action ranges from a flash of the lights to pull you over and write tickets. I have had CHP simply flash their lights to slow down. I have had one pull up next to me after I slowed from 85 to 55 and say over the PA "Now I know your speedometer works." as he passed me.

Used to drive 800-1000 miles a week and no citations.

My experience has been that (generally) as long as you aren't doing stupid stuff, the police tend toward the "flash lights and get them to slow down" end of the scale and that if you ARE doing stupid stuff, the police tend toward the "pull them over and write them up" end of the scale (with the appropriate adjustments for whether or not your vehicle has "in state plates" or not.

Quite frankly I don't have any real issue with that approach.

I do, however, make a real attempt to stay within the +/-10mph range that seems to be generally accepted (except in Upper East Speedtrap __[fill in the blank]__).

I was pulled over in Arizona once for 75 in a 65 zone.

"Where you going in such a hurry?" the cop inquired.

"I'm on my way to a business meeting and I'm late," I replied.

"What kind of business you in?" was the next question.

"I'm a drug dealer," was not the answer he was expecting.

"Really! You got any drugs in the car?" he asked with his eyebrows raised.

"Yes sir, I do. Lots of drugs."

The look on his face was priceless. At that point, I handed him my business card, which identified me as a pharmaceutical sales rep. He busted a gut laughing.

"You had me going there for a minute!" he said after regaining his composure.

Handing back my card and driver's license, he said "Just try to slow down a bit. Have nice day." He walked back to his cruiser shaking his head.

I was pulled over in Arizona once for 75 in a 65 zone.

"Where you going in such a hurry?" the cop inquired.

"I'm on my way to a business meeting and I'm late," I replied.

"What kind of business you in?" was the next question.

"I'm a drug dealer," was not the answer he was expecting.

"Really! You got any drugs in the car?" he asked with his eyebrows raised.

"Yes sir, I do. Lots of drugs."

The look on his face was priceless. At that point, I handed him my business card, which identified me as a pharmaceutical sales rep. He busted a gut laughing.

"You had me going there for a minute!" he said after regaining his composure.

Handing back my card and driver's license, he said "Just try to slow down a bit. Have nice day." He walked back to his cruiser shaking his head.

Love it!

But I don't like to think of what the reaction would be today.

Cops just don't have the same sense of humour that they used to have.

A state cop in an unmarked car chased me for 6 or 7 miles one night. He didn't light me up until I slowed down and signaled a turn. I immediately parked.

I took my helmet off when he approached and said, "That was a pretty good race we had there, wasn't it?"

He laughed.

I laughed.

We went back to his cruiser and he wrote me a ticket for 117 in a 55 zone.

A state cop in an unmarked car chased me for 6 or 7 miles one night. He didn't light me up until I slowed down and signaled a turn. I immediately parked.

I took my helmet off when he approached and said, "That was a pretty good race we had there, wasn't it?"

He laughed.

I laughed.

We went back to his cruiser and he wrote me a ticket for 117 in a 55 zone.

Sounds like a good place for the "I had no idea who was following me and I was afraid that they were going to try and rob me if I stopped, so I was only fleeing from what I believed to be criminals." defence.

I've heard of even stranger ones working (including the young lady who cast doubts on the police officer's veracity due to the fact that he testified that he had followed her through several downtown blocks before turning on his lights when she was stopped at a red light - at which time (according to him) she ran the red light (and then, according to him, stopped on the other side of the intersection and waited for him to come over to her car). For some reason the Judge didn't believe that the police officer was telling "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".

Back
Top Bottom