• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois Governor Signs Puppy Lemon Law.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Surrounded by dog lovers and their four-legged friends, Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation Saturday he said would help protect consumers who buy a dog or cat and then learn the animal is seriously ill.

The so-called "puppy lemon law" also has another goal: putting pressure on pet stores that get dogs from overcrowded puppy mills.

"This law ... is all about protecting our pets and protecting our families who love their pets," Quinn told supporters gathered for the ceremony at Chicago's Wiggly Field dog park. "We don't want those who are conducting these puppy mills anywhere in the United States to get away with what they're doing. That's our real mission."

Illinois is the 21st state to pass a lemon law that applies to pets.

Source: Quinn Signs 'Puppy Lemon Law' | NBC Chicago

I am all for this.....these animals become more than just some pet to people. People that get them need to understand they are part of them and they are their family. They feel and have emotions. You save a life.....you take responsibility for that life. No matter good or bad.

Myself I have paid out money for a surgery that my one cat had to have. HAD.....otherwise she would have died in hours. We have had her since she was a baby kitten. Less than 2 and half years old. Its like the Vet was going to give us some time to think about it. For me there was nothing to think about. She needed the surgery and I was going to make damn sure she was going to be taken care of. She was already freaked out with what was happening to her. No way we were walking away. Which the surgery was successful and she did heal. So she is home where she belongs.

Still this leaves the question as to what to do with the Puppy mills that do sell sick pets to Stores? For both cats and dogs. Already we have an over abundance of both all roaming wild across the country. Perhaps there should be like some time limit as to not let what these mills have, to breed. So many years. Work on scooping up all those kittens and puppies that are running around free and wild. Or abandoned by douchebags.

What else could be done.....as just killing them outright isn't happenin!

CatRunAcross.gif

Surrounded by dog lovers and their four-legged friends, Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation Saturday he said would help protect consumers who buy a dog or cat and then learn the animal is seriously ill.

The so-called "puppy lemon law" also has another goal: putting pressure on pet stores that get dogs from overcrowded puppy mills.

"This law ... is all about protecting our pets and protecting our families who love their pets," Quinn told supporters gathered for the ceremony at Chicago's Wiggly Field dog park. "We don't want those who are conducting these puppy mills anywhere in the United States to get away with what they're doing. That's our real mission."

I am all for this.....these animals become more than just some pet to people. People that get them need to understand they are part of them and they are their family. They feel and have emotions. You save a life.....you take responsibility for that life. No matter good or bad.

Myself I have paid out money for a surgery that my one cat had to have. HAD.....otherwise she would have died in hours. We have had her since she was a baby kitten. Less than 2 and half years old. Its like the Vet was going to give us some time to think about it. For me there was nothing to think about. She needed the surgery and I was going to make damn sure she was going to be taken care of. She was already freaked out with what was happening to her. No way we were walking away. Which the surgery was successful and she did heal. So she is home where she belongs.

Still this leaves the question as to what to do with the Puppy mills that do sell sick pets to Stores? For both cats and dogs. Already we have an over abundance of both all roaming wild across the country. Perhaps there should be like some time limit as to not let what these mills have, to breed. So many years. Work on scooping up all those kittens and puppies that are running around free and wild. Or abandoned by douchebags.

CatRunAcross.gif

Sounds like a full employment for vets and lawyers law to me. Like anything else bought or sold, the terms of sale and any warranty (expressed or implied) is a tricky affair. I suppose that a three week warranty is fairly harmless (and useless) but, once again, the nanny state comes to the "rescue" and professionals (vets and lawyers) are added to the "solution".

Sounds like a full employment for vets and lawyers law to me. Like anything else bought or sold, the terms of sale and any warranty (expressed or implied) is a tricky affair. I suppose that a three week warranty is fairly harmless (and useless) but, once again, the nanny state comes to the "rescue" and professionals (vets and lawyers) are added to the "solution".

Yeah unfortunately that's how it will play out here. Even though 20 other states have done the same. Would be nice to see those involved all do the Right thing in the first place. But we know this isn't going to happen either.

Which still leaves these puppy mills passing along animals that could become sick and leave one with thousands in medical bills. Even if covered under some insurance.

So why not just write a law that goes directly for the puppy mills instead of the consequences of what they create?? What a backasswards way of trying to rectify a grotesque practice.

I find that if you tie a dead puppy around the neck of the offending puppy mill owner for a week, it breaks them of that bad habit. 8)

So why not just write a law that goes directly for the puppy mills instead of the consequences of what they create?? What a backasswards way of trying to rectify a grotesque practice.

Heya Tess.
hat.gif
Well it is Illinois which is ran by those on the left. Regulation comes automatically into any play here. But the Puppy Mills say they want Stores to be able to sell Healthy puppies too. That Store owners, some already pay themselves for animals that get sick.

Although this activist group want to see all stores that sell puppies banned. That's their Ultimate goal.

The law allows pet owners to get a full refund or replacement if they buy a pet from a store and it dies within 21 days. Pet owners also could get a replacement pet or be reimbursed for the cost of veterinary care if they keep the animal and a veterinarian determines it was sick or diseased when it was sold.

The law also requires pet stores to report any outbreak of diseases to the state Department of Agriculture and to inform customers if outbreaks of certain illnesses have occurred at their store.

Opponents said the bill was too far-reaching and anti-business. But supporters, including the Humane Society, said their push for the legislation was inspired in part by a 2012 outbreak of canine distemper at a Chicago-area pet store chain. The Humane Society says an investigation found the stores obtained the dogs from puppy mills, where dogs were being kept in cramped cages and not receiving proper care.

I know they say it's anti business. My problem with that is.....describe how it is. Don't just say it.

I find that if you tie a dead puppy around the neck of the offending puppy mill owner for a week, it breaks them of that bad habit. 8)

Did you see that pic.....I am wondering how much Quinn spends in buying Pens. :lol:

I agree, but I think it needs to be done as a practical matter.

I have never purchased a dog or cat. I really don't see why people would given the number available for free. That said, it is trendy to have all these weird mixed breeds like the Labradoodle which may be creating health issues in the pets all on their own regardless of their living conditions.

I have never purchased a dog or cat. I really don't see why people would given the number available for free. That said, it is trendy to have all these weird mixed breeds like the Labradoodle which may be creating health issues in the pets all on their own regardless of their living conditions.

That's what ALL breeds are, a selective mixing of desired traits to create a desired combined end result. In the past more for a specific purpose and need, more so than today. Many of these breeds are prone to certain health issues because of how they were bred. Bassets are prone to back issues. Labs are prone to hip displasia (sp?). The list is endless. That really hasn't changed.

That's what ALL breeds are, a selective mixing of desired traits to create a desired combined end result. In the past more for a specific purpose and need, more so than today. Many of these breeds are prone to certain health issues because of how they were bred. Bassets are prone to back issues. Labs are prone to hip displasia (sp?). The list is endless. That really hasn't changed.

Bassets are also prone to glaucoma. Mix breed dogs are usually genetically superior. I suspect they might be breeding some that are genetically inferior, but hey, as long as it looks good in my faux alligator bag

I paid for my shelter dog. He was found stray and shows very obvious signs of having been abused. I'd gladly have paid 10x what the shelter charged to know I was completely changing his life.

I paid for my shelter dog. He was found stray and shows very obvious signs of having been abused. I'd gladly have paid 10x what the shelter charged to know I was completely changing his life.

Interesting. Our shelter just charges you for the cost of their shots/fixing/dog tags, not for the animal itself. We have donated to a special trust fund that helps people who adopt older and sickly pets with their medical bills. Most of ours came to us as a way to avoid them going into the shelter in the first place as those folks are hard to get you to let them adopt a pet--strays people we know found but could not keep, neglected, a few that people had to get rid of them due to their living situation changing, the latter being the only reason we ended up with the world's dumbest pitbull as our local shelter won't adopt those back out.

Bassets are also prone to glaucoma. Mix breed dogs are usually genetically superior. I suspect they might be breeding some that are genetically inferior, but hey, as long as it looks good in my faux alligator bag
True. And for house pets that is a big consideration. Back in the day... which rarely applies anymore, granted... mix breed dogs weren't capable of performing specific duties for which selective breeds were. Or, at least, not a well.

Interesting. Our shelter just charges you for the cost of their shots/fixing/dog tags, not for the animal itself. We have donated to a special trust fund that helps people who adopt older and sickly pets with their medical bills. Most of ours came to us as a way to avoid them going into the shelter in the first place as those folks are hard to get you to let them adopt a pet--strays people we know found but could not keep, neglected, a few that people had to get rid of them due to their living situation changing, the latter being the only reason we ended up with the world's dumbest pitbull as our local shelter won't adopt those back out.
All shelters I have dealt with... which includes a huge sample size of about 5 :2razz:... all charged a fee, but only enough to cover their costs. Food, shelter, vet care (including neutering/spaying, etc.). In most of those the people volunteered their time, but the other stuff had legitimate costs to them. The electric company isn't donating electricity, for example. Two numbers stick out in my memory, $60 and $100.

All shelters I have dealt with... which includes a huge sample size of about 5 :2razz:... all charged a fee, but only enough to cover their costs. Food, shelter, vet care (including neutering/spaying, etc.). In most of those the people volunteered their time, but the other stuff had legitimate costs to them. The electric company isn't donating electricity, for example. Two numbers stick out in my memory, $60 and $100.

Our primary shelter is a community-based organization with volunteers and such, and lots of donations, but its overhead operating cost is covered by a yearly grant from the local government. There are some other places popping up like non-profits that will do animal rehab or people who run private non-profit no-kill shelters for things like pit-bulls that they try to network into homes nationwide, subject to space availability, or will take in neglected animals others cannot handle like horses, pigs, and the like.

What if someone does want a sick puppy though to nurse it back to health? My concern is that breeders will just put down puppies they suspect may be sickly since they now face fines and stores face fines if the puppy has some kind of complication after sale. I fear that some of these animals will be put down as a preemptive measure to cut on costs instead of giving them a shot at life.

To curb puppy mill issues why not just make such actions directly illegal and have breeders be subject to audits to prevent such practices?

What if someone does want a sick puppy though to nurse it back to health? My concern is that breeders will just put down puppies they suspect may be sickly since they now face fines and stores face fines if the puppy has some kind of complication after sale. I fear that some of these animals will be put down as a preemptive measure to cut on costs instead of giving them a shot at life.

To curb puppy mill issues why not just make such actions directly illegal and have breeders be subject to audits to prevent such practices?
I am normally very leery of government licensing requirements. For example, government has no legitimate interest in licensing interior decorators, as is being done in some states. But, animal operations like this is something I would approve. I would have no problem requiring licenses for commercial puppy/kitten operations, and that proof of license must be on file for any sales between providers and retail outlets.

Shelters, especially those which specialize in sick/neglected/abused animals should be exempt. As would sales between private parties.

True. And for house pets that is a big consideration. Back in the day... which rarely applies anymore, granted... mix breed dogs weren't capable of performing specific duties for which selective breeds were. Or, at least, not a well.

Lokey's adoption fee was $85. It included a full exam, getting him current on all shots, and having him altered. I'm sure there was some mark-up in his fee to cover his care while at the shelter...but I really don't mind what I paid, and I'd have paid much, much more for him. He's my boo-dog...my little fur baby...and even if he had an amazing life before me, he's DEFINITELY got an amazing life now. Plus, he makes me happier than I would have been without him...so it's a win-win.

CatRunAcross.gif

You know, as a consumer you have an option. It is called the ASPCA. They are normally overcrowded with animals looking for a home, and often have to turn away needy animals and put to sleep animals they have because there is no one there to adopt. Puppy mills are capitalism at work. They cheapluy breed dogs so that people can pay less for their breed. The reason they exist is because of demand for the animals, and if people were going for free and needy animals instead of buying their pets from places which increase profits by getting cheap puppies which creates demand for puppy mills those people would find something else to make money on. But capitalism and freedom means choice, and some people want a specific breed. This created demand and that demand will create a cheap market for those who cannot afford the best quality. It is just one of the weaknesses of capitalism. I am not claiming other systems do not have their problems, but that this is just one of the problems associated with capitalism.

The law is not terrible, just really hard to carry out as the governments of the US are cutting funding to investigative services that would be the ones enforcing these laws which undermines the effectiveness of the strategy. You have to fund things like this or they are just symbolic and only catch things that fall into their lap. That means raising taxes. If you want it you have to pay for it, and the way you pay for it is through taxes.

I think that would be a good idea, but with states facing huge budget problems how are they going to afford to pay the investigators and their staff without raising revenue through taxes? I am just thinking realistically that such an undertaking would involve lots of work and you have to pay people for that. That means we all have to shrug our shoulders and say oh well when taxes go up.

Yeah unfortunately that's how it will play out here. Even though 20 other states have done the same. Would be nice to see those involved all do the Right thing in the first place. But we know this isn't going to happen either.

Which still leaves these puppy mills passing along animals that could become sick and leave one with thousands in medical bills. Even if covered under some insurance.

Well it's an animal and any animal can get sick. If the contention is against puppy mills, then make a law against that. If someone spends thousands of dollars on an animal, that's on them.

Well it's an animal and any animal can get sick. If the contention is against puppy mills, then make a law against that. If someone spends thousands of dollars on an animal, that's on them.

Yeah.....I would be ticked if I spent a lot of money and the animal died within a few days. Course, around here.....I would get money back one way or another. :lol:

Yeah.....I would be ticked if I spent a lot of money and the animal died within a few days. Course, around here.....I would get money back one way or another. :lol:

Perhaps, but I don't see how this law will impact puppy mills and such. The most I think it could do would be to make puppy mills put down animals they suspect of being sick.

Perhaps, but I don't see how this law will impact puppy mills and such. The most I think it could do would be to make puppy mills put down animals they suspect of being sick.

You know what.....your Right there. That's a possibility, they would resort to something like that. Well we know someone would.

Back
Top Bottom