• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois Conceal Carry...

Black Dog

King Of The Dog Pound
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Interesting...

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

So I can carry a loaded, concealed weapon in my car in Illinois, because I have my Florida CCW. What if I need to transfer why weapon to my say hotel room? Can I use a carry case with the weapon unloaded? Or is that even allowed for out of state residents?

Confusing, but hell I can hang with that law as it is for now. Looks like I will have to just pay the $300.00 for my Illinois out of state carry permit.

Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law.

If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

What if I need to transfer why weapon to my say hotel room? Can I use a carry case with the weapon unloaded? Or is that even allowed for out of state residents?

I think what you quoted answers your questions. I haven't read the law but the above is from the IL State Police website. The way I read it, you have to leave your weapon secured in your vehicle if you don't have an IL permit. It's interesting that it is legal to leave the weapon in a locked vehicle OR in a locked container in the vehicle. So, you're legal if it's in a lock-box in an unlocked vehicle - keeps you from carrying but easy enough for a thief to steal the box and carry as soon as he breaks the lock. Course you're probably going to lock your vehicle in any case, but that is a loophole in the law.

Keep in mind IL is issuing permits only because they were forced to. There are those in the legislative and executive who wanted the law even more restrictive. I'm surprised they're issuing non-resident permits at all.

I do not know IL law, but suppose its similar to the anti's in California that write things up they clearly do not comprehend or understand. In CA there have been cases thrown out by judges where gun owners took extra ordinary steps to try and comply with legal restrictions and were beyond safe even though anti gun (San Francisco, Santa Cruz like) district attorney's tried desperately to get a gun conviction on a person. One such case, I will try to look it up, in San Francisco involved a security agent (private) for an Israeli business man who always traveled with body guards and had hired such guards while in NY and traveled with them to SF. The agent flew with his firearm properly in a case in checked luggage and upon retrieving his bag at SFO moved the locked case to a carry bag and never holstered or concealed the weapon. When he was stopped in SF on the street the officer thought they looked like "body guards" and wanted to know why they weren't armed; and they explained they had them in locked cases in their bags and they were cited for having carried into the state firearms that are not on our approved roster list. We have a list of guns the state "allows" us to purchase and there are many firearms not on the list - particularly if they allow for hi capacity magazines. The men also possessed such magazines and were all cited - case tossed.

Moral of the story - do your best - be absolutely safe - and try to comply as best you can with the law. If the law if vague its in your favor.

Interesting...

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

So I can carry a loaded, concealed weapon in my car in Illinois, because I have my Florida CCW. What if I need to transfer why weapon to my say hotel room? Can I use a carry case with the weapon unloaded? Or is that even allowed for out of state residents?

Confusing, but hell I can hang with that law as it is for now. Looks like I will have to just pay the $300.00 for my Illinois out of state carry permit.

And the anti-gun camp always complaining about "how easy" it is for people to get weapons. Is it because they construct so many pockets in between point a to b that you have no choice to leave it behind in a vehicle where the only way to ensure it's not getting stolen is to drive an armored truck? I suppose you could bolt down a gun safe but if you have a small front wheele drive car like me, the drive wheels will be off the ground. Seems it would be all around safer for everybody if we just were allowed to keep guns strapped to our side at all times.

And the anti-gun camp always complaining about "how easy" it is for people to get weapons. Is it because they construct so many pockets in between point a to b that you have no choice to leave it behind in a vehicle where the only way to ensure it's not getting stolen is to drive an armored truck? I suppose you could bolt down a gun safe but if you have a small front wheele drive car like me, the drive wheels will be off the ground. Seems it would be all around safer for everybody if we just were allowed to keep guns strapped to our side at all times.

Yep. If Illinois decides reciprocity with Florida is not acceptable, I will have no choice but to pay the $300.0 every 5 years as I go between both. My Florida licence is good in every other state on the way there. In fact my Florida CCW is good everyplace but Hawaii, Minnesota, Wisconsin, out west and the NE of the US.

Since you are not a law-breaker, I give you permission to come to my state and CC. Be careful below the 40th parallel where they still don't understand the brothers and avoid the intersection of I-39 and I-80.
Yep. If Illinois decides reciprocity with Florida is not acceptable, I will have no choice but to pay the $300.0 every 5 years as I go between both. My Florida licence is good in every other state on the way there. In fact my Florida CCW is good everyplace but Hawaii, Minnesota, Wisconsin, out west and the NE of the US.

That's what I really hate about all of these gun free zones, the most dangerous places I have to walk through is between the parking lot and my building I work. I don't like to be without protection but feel more uncomfortable about leaving weapon in car. always considering taking a chance and bringing weapon concealed anyway - why not the thugs don't seemed deterred by laws.

That's what I really hate about all of these gun free zones, the most dangerous places I have to walk through is between the parking lot and my building I work. I don't like to be without protection but feel more uncomfortable about leaving weapon in car. always considering taking a chance and bringing weapon concealed anyway - why not the thugs don't seemed deterred by laws.

Open carry would do more to deter crime than any concealed carry law. I just don't understand why lawmakers don't see that open carry is a far better deterrent, and in the long run safer. Yet they complain about the Trayvon Martin thing. Do you honestly think Trayvon would have confronted Zimmerman if he knew he had a gun?

or just Google "14 IL counties won't wait for CC permits"
qfind.net

Interesting...

Last edited:
This from Dan Moran, in the Illinois shooter, a publication of the Illinois State Rifle Association. Moran, ISRA president, stated we still are a long way off from implementation. We are back to litigating it further as far as the time period that was legislated.

Motions were filed by the ISRA in federal court in the Southern Illinois District within days of the Legislature overturning the governor's amendatory veto. It's asking for injunctive relief from the nine-month time frame the Illinois State Police say it will take to implement the new laws.

One thing we do know now is the charge of unlawful use of weapons is unconstitutional. The new law will be put in place as a "shall issue" state. Some states have a "may issue" clause in their language , which means that if an applicant is disliked by someone on the police department, a permit can be denied, even if the applicant has never had a record.

The above was by Fred Krause, writing his Outdoors column for the Ottawa Times.

This from Dan Moran, in the Illinois shooter, a publication of the Illinois State Rifle Association. Moran, ISRA president, stated we still are a long way off from implementation. We are back to litigating it further as far as the time period that was legislated.

Motions were filed by the ISRA in federal court in the Southern Illinois District within days of the Legislature overturning the governor's amendatory veto. It's asking for injunctive relief from the nine-month time frame the Illinois State Police say it will take to implement the new laws.

One thing we do know now is the charge of unlawful use of weapons is unconstitutional. The new law will be put in place as a "shall issue" state. Some states have a "may issue" clause in their language , which means that if an applicant is disliked by someone on the police department, a permit can be denied, even if the applicant has never had a record.

The above was by Fred Krause, writing his Outdoors column for the Ottawa Times.

Well it looks like there is a good chance they will accept Florida CCW due to the stringent background checks and it being a "shall issue" state. So I will be keeping an eye on ti.

Back
Top Bottom