• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illegal tried to kill Trump !

OK, here's a specific breakdown from the source of why those "not in the labor force" aren't working or trying to work:

People who are not in the labor force: why aren't they working? : Beyond the Numbers: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

As of 2014: total 87 million

Ill or disabled - 16 million
Retired - 39 million
Home responsibilities - 14 million
School - 16 million
Other - 3 million

Counting in Tennessee ! :lamo How many are there in USA today ? Do they count the illegals hiding in all those sanctuary Cities . You do realize they don't count discouraged unemployed .

LOL, sorry I should have mentioned that "due to rounding...." but you knew that. :roll:

And of course there are 3 million "other" which could include those just choosing to live off the public teat, and if you've followed the actual issues you'd know a lot of folks who would work if there were jobs available are going on disability because that is their only option for paying the rent and feeding them and family. Also those nearing retirement age and not able to find jobs have simply retired early, before they would otherwise, because of lack of jobs or lack of decent jobs. Same with people staying in school, and moms and dads choosing to stay at home with kids - there are no jobs so they are forced to do that, and will likely return to the workforce when/if jobs situation improves.

Point is there are lots of legitimate concerns about the growing "not in labor force" figure, but you can't begin to discuss them if you ignore that the VAST majority are out of the workforce (and included in that 96 million number) because they do not WANT, or NEED a job or cannot work because of legitimate disabilities.

But, sorry, here I am discussing the issue seriously. The other side just wants to repeat BS right wing talking points so I apologize for inserting rational discussion backed by data and evidence into this.... ;)

You're trying to discuss the issue seriously but unfortunately you're trying to discuss it in a thread filled with the most idiotic posts imaginable. All I see on here is "Derp! :lamo Herp! :lamo: Mexicans bad! :lamo"

Stop wasting your time. Your posts are way too intelligent for the recipient level.

Counting in Tennessee ! :lamo How many are there in USA today ?

94,708 See: Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Do they count the illegals hiding in all those sanctuary Cities.

Employment Situation Frequently Asked Questions

2. Are undocumented immigrants counted in the surveys?

It is likely that both surveys include at least some undocumented immigrants. However,
neither the establishment nor the household survey is designed to identify the legal
status of workers. Therefore, it is not possible to determine how many are counted in
either survey. The establishment survey does not collect data on the legal status of
workers. The household survey does include questions which identify the foreign and
native born, but it does not include questions about the legal status of the foreign
born. Data on the foreign and native born are published each month in table A-7 of
The Employment Situation news release.

You do realize they don't count discouraged unemployed .

You are getting your talking points confused. The BLS defines "Discouraged Workers."

Discouraged workers (Current Population Survey)
Persons not in the labor force who want and are available for a job and who have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months (or since the end of their last job if they held one within the past 12 months), but who are not currently looking because they believe there are no jobs available or there are none for which they would qualify.

And they're not included in U-3 (the 'official' unemployment rate) but are counted as "unemployed" for purposes of U-4 through U-6. See, Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Any other questions?

Someone tried to kill Trump?

Only one?

If you want Trump gone, just let him shoot himself...with his mouth.
Would you be this cavalier if he was gay or an illegal immigrant? I doubt it.

PC rules your heart and mind. Death to those who disagree with me? How utterly compassionate.

You're trying to discuss the issue seriously but unfortunately you're trying to discuss it in a thread filled with the most idiotic posts imaginable. All I see on here is "Derp! :lamo Herp! :lamo: Mexicans bad! :lamo"

Stop wasting your time. Your posts are way too intelligent for the recipient level.

LOL, that's true enough and thanks. But I'm only engaging because what I'm otherwise doing is revising a paper and it's a nice diversion. And for some reason that particular talking point (96 million not working!!) bothers me more than most, maybe because it's so obviously nonsense, and easily proved to be BS...

Counting in Tennessee ! :lamo How many are there in USA today ? Do they count the illegals hiding in all those sanctuary Cities . You do realize they don't count discouraged unemployed .

I highly doubt it.

I guess those who have not looked in 12 months are REALLY discouraged and need a new category.

You do understand this guy was British right?
That doesn't keep him from being illegal. He also would not be stopped with a fence since he overstayed his VISA, a common method of becoming illegal. Only a functioning immigration burocracy would catch this.

I guess those who have not looked in 12 months are REALLY discouraged and need a new category.

They're part of that number - "Not in the labor force" - since they're neither employed or 'unemployed' which according to the definitions requires that they have at least applied for one job in the previous year.

No doubt there are many individuals who do at some level 'want' a job but have given up looking and aren't in any of the measures of unemployment. But the problem is finding a way to measure them that doesn't make our understanding worse instead of better. My sister in law is a former nurse and could get a job easily when/if she decides to return to work, but we shouldn't count her in any of the unemployed figures because she really does NOT at this moment want a job. And if you want to count someone else who does 'want' to work but has given up, it has to be an objective test - and the one they've settled on is roughly, "have you taken any steps at all in the previous year to find a job?" If "no" then can you really say that person wants to work and is "unemployed"? Not really, or at least they're not wanting a job enough to even send out ONE application, so they're not counted as in the labor force or unemployed. 12 months is admittedly arbitrary, but there has to be some objective time period and a year seems reasonable to me.

94,708 See: Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Employment Situation Frequently Asked Questions

You are getting your talking points confused. The BLS defines "Discouraged Workers."

And they're not included in U-3 (the 'official' unemployment rate) but are counted as "unemployed" for purposes of U-4 through U-6. See, Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Any other questions?

Stop with the liberal BS ! Total population of 323,730,000 and the number of people ages 18 to 65 is 61% of that number ….so do the math how many are of “working age “ . take your shoes off if you must .

Stop with the liberal BS ! Total population of 323,730,000 and the number of people ages 18 to 65 is 61% of that number ….so do the math how many are of “working age “ . take your shoes off if you must .

What does that have to do with anything? Let's go back to the beginning where you said this #245: "we have 96 million LEGAL Americans OUT OF WORK..." That number represents every person 16 years of age or older who is not in the workforce. I cited the source for that number - BLS - and with a link to the latest total of about 95 million. I also cited an analysis BLS did of that figure when the total was around 88 million. And what the EVIDENCE shows is that the vast, vast majority of those 'out of work' as you call them are retired, students, stay at home parents or other caregivers, and the disabled.

So, yes, it's absolutely true that about 100 million adults do not have a job! The problem is that for the vast, vast majority of those "not in the labor force" no one should care even a little - they don't want or need a job, or cannot hold a job because of legitimate disability....

What does that have to do with anything? Let's go back to the beginning where you said this #245: "we have 96 million LEGAL Americans OUT OF WORK..." That number represents every person 16 years of age or older who is not in the workforce. I cited the source for that number - BLS - and with a link to the latest total of about 95 million. I also cited an analysis BLS did of that figure when the total was around 88 million. And what the EVIDENCE shows is that the vast, vast majority of those 'out of work' as you call them are retired, students, stay at home parents or other caregivers, and the disabled.

So, yes, it's absolutely true that about 100 million adults do not have a job! The problem is that for the vast, vast majority of those "not in the labor force" no one should care even a little - they don't want or need a job, or cannot hold a job because of legitimate disability....

I'll go real slow , Tennessee style , there are 323,730,000 and 61% are 18 to 65 years old = 197,475,300 are ages 18 to 65 !

323,730,000 population all ages
197,475,300 ages 18 to 65
101,716,000 working
95,759,300 NOT working ages 18 to 65

I'll go real slow , Tennessee style , there are 323,730,000 and 61% are 18 to 65 years old = 197,475,300 are ages 18 to 65 !

323,730,000 population all ages
197,475,300 ages 18 to 65
101,716,000 working
95,759,300 NOT working ages 18 to 65

I notice you didn't provide a link for that "working" figure. And, well, you're close! As of May 2016, there were 151,030,000 employed so you're only off by 50 million or so, or about 50%. But nice try! You get a cookie!

I notice you didn't provide a link for that "working" figure. And, well, you're close! As of May 2016, there were 151,030,000 employed so you're only off by 50 million or so, or about 50%. But nice try! You get a cookie!

I told you take off your shoes . :lamo Deny , deny , deny !!!!!

You're wasting your time. Every single month the Cons here trot out that 93 mil people not working number, and every single month it is proven to them the 93 mil number is bogus because most of that number, as you point out, counts the disabled, 16 year old kids in high school, the retired, etc. And economists tell us that no matter who is in the WH that number will continue to grow over the next 10 years or so because millions and millions of boomers will be retiring.

But they never learn. It is sad, but true. Or they are trolling. Either way it is a waste of time showing them the facts of the 93 mil number.

Back
Top Bottom