• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ignore function - Moderators and other administrators

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I've just tried to put a person who shall remain nameless on my "ignore list" so that I don't have to view his/her posts in the future but I was precluded from doing so by the program because the person is a moderator/administrator.

Since most moderator actions of any consequence are posted by way of private message in your email box and other administrators, such as in the basement, don't really have much in the way of power other than to ban you from their "place of business", why isn't it possible to put them on ignore when your experience with them has mostly been negative and unproductive?

If a moderator posts a warning in a thread, it's my business to ensure I see it and adhere to it, so missing it by using the ignore function doesn't affect anyone but me and not seeing what they post on a regular basis does benefit me.

If putting someone on ignore removes their ability to send a private email message, then I appreciate that would be a problem - otherwise, what's the big deal?

Good question. IMO, moderator functions should be separated from normal forum conversations.

Placing a member on ignore ALSO blocks you from recieving any of their PM's. I actually learned this one the hard way.

Additionally, this has been brought up before and I believe the response was basically software wise we don't have a very good work around for allowing ignoring of staff members posts.

I understand the sentiment, and would be absolutely fine with it if it was possible to be done without much fuss and muss...but to my understanding that's not the case.

One of the problem with this is that in-threads would be blocked from your view. There isn't a way for the software to split a mod's post as a poster and a mod's post as an official mod action. So this simply isn't possible.

Placing a member on ignore ALSO blocks you from recieving any of their PM's. I actually learned this one the hard way.

Additionally, this has been brought up before and I believe the response was basically software wise we don't have a very good work around for allowing ignoring of staff members posts.

I understand the sentiment, and would be absolutely fine with it if it was possible to be done without much fuss and muss...but to my understanding that's not the case.

Thanks for the clarification - I figured I wasn't the first to bring it up but being relatively new here I couldn't find any reference to it so I thought I'd ask.

One of the problem with this is that in-threads would be blocked from your view. There isn't a way for the software to split a mod's post as a poster and a mod's post as an official mod action. So this simply isn't possible.

Thank you as well for the additional info. I'm not so worried about the in-thread warnings because if I see one posted in the thread title I look and if it's one from someone I have blocked, I can always unblock and view that one message without having to see everything else - besides, if I choose to miss the warning and I get dinged for it, that's my problem.

Thank you as well for the additional info. I'm not so worried about the in-thread warnings because if I see one posted in the thread title I look and if it's one from someone I have blocked, I can always unblock and view that one message without having to see everything else - besides, if I choose to miss the warning and I get dinged for it, that's my problem.

You may understand that but I guarantee you there would be those who would say it's the mods' job to somehow warn them despite them having the mod(s) on ignore. In fact, this reliance on in thread warnings (and the notification in the title) is relatively new. Back when I first started, an infraction was an infraction whether or not there was a warning in thread.

Kids today are so spoiled.

Last edited:
You may understand that but I guarantee you there would be those who would say it's the mods' job to somehow warn them despite them having the mod(s) on ignore. In fact, this reliance on in thread warnings (and the notification in the title) is relatively new. Back when I first started, an infraction was an infraction whether or not there was a warning in thread.

Kids today are so spoiled.

Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate that too - I received an infraction once, for my first post in a thread, not realizing that a warning had been given about 100 posts back not related to me and I didn't know about the thread title referencing and I hadn't reviewed all of the 100's of post before me, before I posted. The mod who busted me pointed the feature out and I've been paying close attention to it ever since.

Back
Top Bottom