• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If...

GetVictd

Reaction score
(I hope I get this right ;) )

If Iraq becomes a democracy/like the United States, will they also be required to separate Church from State?

When I was in college I remember there was a floor with a room where followers of Islam were allowed to go and pray. I went to a City College and was wondering if maybe this is because the government/society does not believe (give proper respect to) in Christianity. I would have liked a place to congregate and pray.

I doubt it; I mean how can a country that is completely faith based be expected to scratch their beliefs...

Well, if you look at the interim Iraqi constitution you'll see the following:

A) Islam is the official religion of the State and is to be considered a source of legislation. No law that contradicts the universally agreed tenets of Islam, the principles of democracy, or the rights cited in Chapter Two of this Law may be enacted during the transitional period. This Law respects the Islamic identity of the majority of the Iraqi people and guarantees the full religious rights of all individuals to freedom of religious belief and practice.

SNIP

All Iraqis are equal in their rights without regard to gender, sect, opinion, belief, nationality, religion, or origin, and they are equal before the law. Discrimination against an Iraqi citizen on the basis of his gender, nationality, religion, or origin is prohibited. Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the security of his person. No one may be deprived of his life or liberty, except in accordance with legal procedures. All are equal before the courts.

So it looks like the laws will be Sharia-based, what happens when that conflicts with things like gender equality or religious freedom is going to be an interesting debate.

At best Iraq will turn out like Turkey (where an Islamic government now as power.)

Islam has not had it's renaissance yet like, Christainity and Judaism has. Christains and Jews debate whether or not their scripture is correct or not (Judaism more so). Things like abortion, homosexuality etc are debated in churchs and synagoge (spelling).
People in Islam do not debate whether the Koran is true or not, they think all of it is true.
Woman are lower beings than men in Islam, Iraq unfortunatly won't be any different. Islam is a harsh religion.

GarzaUK said:
At best Iraq will turn out like Turkey (where an Islamic government now as power.)

Islam has not had it's renaissance yet like, Christainity and Judaism has. Christains and Jews debate whether or not their scripture is correct or not (Judaism more so). Things like abortion, homosexuality etc are debated in churchs and synagoge (spelling).
People in Islam do not debate whether the Koran is true or not, they think all of it is true.
Woman are lower beings than men in Islam, Iraq unfortunatly won't be any different. Islam is a harsh religion.

Before you term Islam as a harsh religion, i'd like you to point out these observations in muslim socieities present in modernized countries. In the US, most muslims are very laid back and not "blind" believers. I really doubt muslims in iraq or iran would have time or luxury to debate issues ike homosexuality and abortion.
Why Islam in these countries has come to support such abhorring customs like cutting off the hands of thieves, the demeaning of women, etc. can be answered by the regimes that used Islam to support their own agendas. Ironically, although Iraq was a dictatorship, it was not a theocracy, and in terms of Islam, it was one of the most modern Islamic states in the region. Hussein's terrible rule actually kept internal islamic extremists at bay and out of power in Iraq.
Islam itself is a great religion on par with its Judeo-Christian counterparts. Its just that its led itself to be used by inept regimes and extremists in horrible ways.

welcome2.gif
nkgupta80!

Islam itself is a great religion on par with its Judeo-Christian counterparts. Its just that its led itself to be used by inept regimes and extremists in horrible ways.
It is unfortunate that the extremists are the ones that get talked about and define the groups. Good things they do are seldom noticed by the main stream media.

Squawker said:
welcome2.gif
nkgupta80!

It is unfortunate that the extremists are the ones that get talked about and define the groups. Good things they do are seldom noticed by the main stream media.

That depends on what one considers extreme, doesn't it? For example, I think the religious far right got a lot of mainstream media coverage with the last election, Terry Schiavo, etc.. Since politics have become so polarized, it seems that the moderates are the ones lacking in media coverage.

Back
Top Bottom