• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart...

eman926

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
... but if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain." -- Winston Churchill

... but if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain." -- Winston Churchill

Well, that's torn it. Now I have to vote for the fake conservative with 25 sexual assaults to his name many of which were rapes, who bragged about walking in on naked minors, and whose lies/denials/incompetence has gotten over 182,000 Americans killed that needn't have died.

:roll:

903511233-funny-Winston-Churchill-quote-democracy1.jpg

Why are we having this discussion?

I doubt Churchill was any less a conservative at 20 than he was at 40. In fact he spent his youth as a loyal tool of the Empire and may have become more moderate towards the end of his career.

When I was 20 I was a conservative Republican yet at 25 I was a liberal, ie, I grew up and matured.

And now I've seen that the older Republicans-Conservatives get the more they like Putin & Trump.

And as Churchill testified the less they like democracy.

Or....you just gave up.

That was my experience as i watched others go through this as I avoided it.

You have kids, buy a house and you just can't go all out for things you believe in because you have too much to lose and have become aware of your mortality.

In my experience it is much more a herd behavior than some kind maturing process. Peer pressure, keeping up with the Joneses and whatnot.

And then there's the constant beat of "everybody can get rich!". Which is a patently a false statement. Some can get rich. There isn't enough money and stuff for all of us to be rich. Sports and music and such are not career arcs, they're lotteries, holding out the promise of making it, making a life of not making it more bearable but only a tiny few of those who try can ever make it and have making it still mean anything so it is pie in the sky nonsense.

Upon which fortunes are made. By those who didn't do an hour of training or possess a gram of talent.

And when people finally realize they are never going to make it they knuckle down and take their place on the treadmill.

And then they become conservative.

Of course conservatism has metastasized into a bunch of selfish venal nonsense and bears little resemblance to the basically conservative perspective I have.

I still am on the side of the dirt farmer or the sheep rancher and not the railroad or cattle baron.

Modern conservatism definitely works for the latter.

When I was 20 I was a conservative Republican yet at 25 I was a liberal, ie, I grew up and matured.

And now I've seen that the older Republicans-Conservatives get the more they like Putin & Trump.

My daughter was a republican at 22. My husband and I were perplexed due to how she was raised. But alas she finally saw the light and now she is a fighter for justice for all. I am so proud.

Well, in todays world Conservatives are a vanishing species, there used to be some in the GOP but they got kicked out or absorbed by the trump borg cult.

Meaningless platitude falsely attributed to Churchill. Conservatives are consistently anti-science, anti-fact, anti-intellectual.

Meaningless platitude falsely attributed to Churchill. Conservatives are consistently anti-science, anti-fact, anti-intellectual.

I don’t need to be lectured on “science” or “facts” or “intellect” by the side that claims that there are “infinite genders”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, in todays world Conservatives are a vanishing species, there used to be some in the GOP but they got kicked out or absorbed by the trump borg cult.

Care to explain then why many hippies grew up to be conservatives?

That’s only five years and most people know that when you are 25 you still have a lot of growing up to do. Talk to me when you’re 35, 40, 60, and so on. The left even supports promiscuity, and not waiting until marriage, so that tells me something.

Care to explain then why many hippies grew up to be conservatives?

My wife did not grow up to be a conservative, though she does have some conservative ideals but leans Liberal. I wasn't a hippie, motorcycles and military. It works great.

Or....you just gave up.

That was my experience as i watched others go through this as I avoided it.

You have kids, buy a house and you just can't go all out for things you believe in because you have too much to lose and have become aware of your mortality.

In my experience it is much more a herd behavior than some kind maturing process. Peer pressure, keeping up with the Joneses and whatnot.

And then there's the constant beat of "everybody can get rich!". Which is a patently a false statement. Some can get rich. There isn't enough money and stuff for all of us to be rich. Sports and music and such are not career arcs, they're lotteries, holding out the promise of making it, making a life of not making it more bearable but only a tiny few of those who try can ever make it and have making it still mean anything so it is pie in the sky nonsense.

Upon which fortunes are made. By those who didn't do an hour of training or possess a gram of talent.

And when people finally realize they are never going to make it they knuckle down and take their place on the treadmill.

And then they become conservative.

Of course conservatism has metastasized into a bunch of selfish venal nonsense and bears little resemblance to the basically conservative perspective I have.

I still am on the side of the dirt farmer or the sheep rancher and not the railroad or cattle baron.

Modern conservatism definitely works for the latter.

Excellent post. I think that describes most people who vote republican. They gave up. As you have pointed out but the right doesn't seem to get, one in a million might become a millionaire the rest are mostly wage slaves who don't make enough to live a halfway comfortable life.

That’s only five years and most people know that when you are 25 you still have a lot of growing up to do. Talk to me when you’re 35, 40, 60, and so on. The left even supports promiscuity, and not waiting until marriage, so that tells me something.

I'll be 76 in October.

Let's talk again then.

I've lived through a quarter of my country's history so ask me anything you'd like. Almost anything anyway. Such has how Republicans-Conservatives spent decades as closet fascists until Trump make it okay for 'em to come out. Guys like Buffalo Bob Barr to name but one. And how Republicans-Conservatives became what we fought against throughout the 20th century. How and why this needs to be addressed with efficacy, ie, finality.

I don’t need to be lectured on “science” or “facts” or “intellect” by the side that claims that there are “infinite genders”.

Your lack of understanding of that discussion further proves my point. Describing it as "infinite genders" means you have no idea what people are actually arguing.

When I was 20 as to day, I believed in God, family, Country, the Constitution, personal responsibility, and work ethic.

The left even supports promiscuity, and not waiting until marriage, so that tells me something.

The right has changed to supporting promiscuity before and after marriage as witnessed by their support for Trump.

When I was 20 as to day, I believed in God, family, Country, the Constitution, personal responsibility, and work ethic.

Believe in God, but reject everything Jesus stood for. Believe in family, but doing everything possible to destroy families of immigrants and prevent LGBT from being recognized as family. Believe in Country, but reject what it's supposed to stand for. Believe in the constitution, just not for other people. Believe in personal responsibility, but only for others. Believe in work ethic, but pretend privilege doesn't exist.

Believe in God, but reject everything Jesus stood for. Believe in family, but doing everything possible to destroy families of immigrants and prevent LGBT from being recognized as family. Believe in Country, but reject what it's supposed to stand for. Believe in the constitution, just not for other people. Believe in personal responsibility, but only for others. Believe in work ethic, but pretend privilege doesn't exist.

It’s late. So I’ll get to every piece of nonsense you wrote in the morning. I’m typing on my phone and too tired to type any more. But I’ll get to my Mac in the morning.

That was true back when getting older actually meant getting wealthier. That’s not true anymore.

Nixon soured me on the GOP for life. I could not vote for a party that harbored a criminal who lied about having an end for the Vietnam war. Little did I know that he would only be the first of several criminals the GOP put in the Whitehouse ending with the biggest criminal of them all D.J.Trump.

Back
Top Bottom