• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you were President...

P

politicalgeek

how would you fix the mess we're in? Many people criticize government, but seldom provide any alternatives. Even those who think the government is going doing a fine job often times have they're own opinions on how to do it even better.

The main issues I'm thinking of are US issues, but any country is welcome to give their opinion either how to fix the US or their own country. Topics might include ways to fix the economy, create jobs, reduce the deficit, sustainability, corruption, over-consumption, under-production, trade-barriers, war, poverty, education, states rights, government size, good governance, individual rights, the constitution, the environment, Just to name a few. These were just conversation starters, so feel free to mention any particular issue where you have an alternative solution.

Let's hash how some alternatives here. Reference any political doctrines that are applicable, and list sources where appropriate. It's time we started coming up with our own solutions so we can be prepared to tell our "leaders" the most intelligent way to lead.

All nations and ideologies welcome. Just be prepared to argue your point for your respective situation.

The main question to answer....If you were president, what would you do?

The main question to answer....If you were president, what would you do?

I would make a national speech educating the public that not Everything is the fault of the President, and nor does the President have the political powers necessary to address every problem, and if the American people wishes to blame the President for Everything then he should be given the political powers to do so, and thus make the office of the President a legal temporary dictator and to abolish Congress and the Supreme Court since they no longer serve any relevant functions as organs of government.

I would abolish all sin taxes.

I wouldn't want to be President, but if I had temporary powers to do whatever I pleased that fell within the Constitution or the notations/writings of the founders I would do the following:

Eliminate the Senate and expand the HoR.
Rewrite the Constitution, which is tolerated by Jeffersonian ideals (who says that it would have to happen every half century-ish)
-Get rid of the 14th and 17th amendments to put the states back in legal power.
-Get rid of Federal Courts and take away the power of judicial review (which this wouldn't need to be expressed because losing the 14th amendment would do this) from the Supreme Court and give it to State Courts.

just among other things...

I wouldn't want to be President, but if I had temporary powers to do whatever I pleased that fell within the Constitution or the notations/writings of the founders I would do the following:

Eliminate the Senate and expand the HoR.
Rewrite the Constitution, which is tolerated by Jeffersonian ideals (who says that it would have to happen every half century-ish)
-Get rid of the 14th and 17th amendments to put the states back in legal power.
-Get rid of Federal Courts and take away the power of judicial review (which this wouldn't need to be expressed because losing the 14th amendment would do this) from the Supreme Court and give it to State Courts.

just among other things...

... I don't think you really understand the consequences of repealing the 14th amendment.

If you get rid of the power of judicial review, what is the point of the Federal Supreme Court? A rubber stamp? lol.

If you get rid of the power of judicial review, what is the point of the Federal Supreme Court? A rubber stamp? lol.

If you're addressing that to my post, I said I would abolish the Supreme Court as well as Congress. I would ask that the office of the President be a total dictator with total legislative and judicial powers along with the usual executive powers.

I would have term limits for both houses of Congress

I would completely scrap the new healthcare bill and start over

The supreme court has basically rendered itself useless as an entity to decide on constiutionality because so many rulings are based on anything but these days. They should no longer have the final say on matters. Maybe we can let the House vacate their decisions with a 2/3 vote. Something because right now they have too much authority.

More Later.

I would have term limits for both houses of Congress

I would completely scrap the new healthcare bill and start over

The supreme court has basically rendered itself useless as an entity to decide on constiutionality because so many rulings are based on anything but these days. They should no longer have the final say on matters. Maybe we can let the House vacate their decisions with a 2/3 vote. Something because right now they have too much authority.

More Later.

Translation: The supreme court makes decisions based on a constitutional interpretation I don't share, therefore they should lose this ability.

You know those decisions are the reason we have a supreme court, right?
No, Texas, you can't have your anti-sodomy laws back.

If I were President, I would first invade both Mexico and Canada and annex both into the US. Then I would blow the ME to hell and once the smoke cleared, take the oil for the American people, not oil companies. I would abolish about 80% of government programs, thus taxes could be lowered and jobs created. Science would be funded highly, and social issues would become state by state. This would insure that conservative states could stay in the dark ages on social and scientific matters and be happy, and progressive states could progress as they wish in both areas.

I would make a national speech educating the public that not Everything is the fault of the President, and nor does the President have the political powers necessary to address every problem, and if the American people wishes to blame the President for Everything then he should be given the political powers to do so, and thus make the office of the President a legal temporary dictator and to abolish Congress and the Supreme Court since they no longer serve any relevant functions as organs of government.

I would also mention that most of these issues are above my pay grade.

Translation: The supreme court makes decisions based on a constitutional interpretation I don't share, therefore they should lose this ability.

You know those decisions are the reason we have a supreme court, right?
No, Texas, you can't have your anti-sodomy laws back.

You are assuming I am talking about only decisions by liberal judges. I am not. I hear plenty of complaints from liberals about decisions some conservative judges make too. Of course I don't share some of their interpretations. Do you agree with them all?

You are assuming I am talking about only decisions by liberal judges. I am not. I hear plenty of complaints from liberals about decisions some conservative judges make too. Of course I don't share some of their interpretations. Do you agree with them all?

I disagree with some of their decisions, yes, but that's not the point. The point is that what you describe pretty much defeats the purpose of having a supreme court in the first place. Congress and the executive need checks and balances. The court has them: presidential appointment and congressional approval.

A 2/3 override means a party with 2/3 support could literally do anything they wanted. Like ban all guns forever or reinstate slavery, because there would not exist an entity with the power to stop them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom