• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you were over age 70, broke and with no family, where would you go and why?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm referring to states and cities, as well as places within those states and cities.

I'm referring to states and cities, as well as places within those states and cities.
It would be easy to say a person who meets your criteria, has made a few bad life choices,
putting that aside, a trip to the public library to research which states provide the best
senior care packages, and line that up with lowest costs of living.
https://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm
If the persons health is good, work gives a person purpose, (and income).
The truly destitute may be able to qualify for medicaid, at an assisted living facility.

Coos Bay, Ore.

It's a coastal town, but a cheap one because it's far from major cities and all its industries were boarded up in the 80s.

So I can live on the ocean for my social security.

Colorado. I'd find as many roommates as it took to live comfortably and grow marijuana.

Broke would imply a place within reach of a bus ticket from selling one's meager assets. I would suppose that means a place which offers a free live in shelter because no place is apt to allow free camping for very long. Is this 70 year old now working or good at hunting, fishing or pan handling?

Define "broke".....
Over 70 means eligible for Social Security and medicare.
And that means health care and at least pocket money.

My late uncle had nothing, was an emotional cripple thanks to his mother treating him like a baby nearly his whole life.
When his parents died, he was 50. His only living relative was my mother, who cared nothing for him. His entire working
career consisted of 2 years in the merchant marine during WW2.
That made him eligible for VA benefits and got him into a nursing home where he literally sat and waited for death.
He lasted 10 years....

Jail, prison and mental institutions come to mind, unlike many social programs they are fairly easy to apply for and free. ;)

Define "broke".....
Over 70 means eligible for Social Security and medicare.
And that means health care and at least pocket money.

My late uncle had nothing, was an emotional cripple thanks to his mother treating him like a baby nearly his whole life.
When his parents died, he was 50. His only living relative was my mother, who cared nothing for him. His entire working
career consisted of 2 years in the merchant marine during WW2.
That made him eligible for VA benefits and got him into a nursing home where he literally sat and waited for death.
He lasted 10 years....

That sounds like an end one would want to avoid. I see two alternatives if bad luck puts one in that position. Harry Guerrilla's idea of "going cheap", passing time searching for seashells, then perhaps grabbing a "seniors bus" to visit the zoo or something. Another idea is going to a high social service area like Massachusetts. I'm unsure which of the two is better.

Jail, prison and mental institutions come to mind, unlike many social programs they are fairly easy to apply for and free. ;)
A bit of research, might still be necessary to determine which states have the best facilities.

Would YOU want to be in a jail, prison or mental institution? Think of the post in terms of making the best of a bad situation.

That sounds like an end one would want to avoid. I see two alternatives if bad luck puts one in that position. Harry Guerrilla's idea of "going cheap", passing time searching for seashells, then perhaps grabbing a "seniors bus" to visit the zoo or something. Another idea is going to a high social service area like Massachusetts. I'm unsure which of the two is better.
My youngest brother lives in a run down shack. He is 67, getting a VA pension in lieu of social security as he was too stupid/lazy to get his 10th year of credit toward being eligible. The first 9 years he was in the Navy. All he needed was one more year.....
He was a momma's boy as well, just not as bad as our uncle. He inherited the shack, otherwise would be homeless. He manages on his piddling income, but just barely. He has a car, doubtful he has liability insurance on it. He manages to pay for electricity, gets his water for free from a neighbor's well and a garden hose.
He has a phone and internet. His circumstances are not unique. If there weren't so many ways to get things free, we would have thousands dead in the streets.

This guy did it till he was in his 80s I believe.

Would YOU want to be in a jail, prison or mental institution? Think of the post in terms of making the best of a bad situation.

As opposed to living under a bridge - yes. So long as I am physically and mentally able I will continue not to be broke by working. The options appear to be quite limited for those totally dependent on others.

I live in the Third World and am friends with many retirees who live on just their SS benefits and live pretty comfortably. Its definitely an option because cost of living is much lower.

As opposed to living under a bridge - yes. So long as I am physically and mentally able I will continue not to be broke by working. The options appear to be quite limited for those totally dependent on others.

For the sake of this discussion, let's suppose you go blind.

I live in the Third World and am friends with many retirees who live on just their SS benefits and live pretty comfortably. Its definitely an option because cost of living is much lower.

Going third world was gonna be my 2nd choice.

The uncle I referred to in earlier post....grandma died first, so grandpa and uncle lived under a bridge in east Texas, literally. During the milder months, they caught catfish and sold the meat to a local grocery store. Their money went for beans, wieners, cigarettes, and beer. During the colder months, they had an arrangement with someone who owned a fishing camp, they acted as caretakers while the owner traveled. Once grandpa died, the uncle entered the nursing home. With my mother being their only relative, they had no choice.

That would be bad news indeed. I would hope that my current reduced SS retirement (I am now 62) could be enhanced to the disabled level. I am not sure if that is possible but that should enable me to get into a decent assisted living facility.

Going third world was gonna be my 2nd choice.

The worst problems that retirees have over here seems to be boredom. I've known at least two seniors who drank themselves to death.

That came to my mind, too. lol Geritol Jihad!!

Throw in crippled, deaf, psychotic and with leprosy. In that case, I think I'd go hang out at a public swimming pool in a speedo.

Throw in crippled, deaf, psychotic and with leprosy. In that case, I think I'd go hang out at a public swimming pool in a speedo.

The reason I framed it that way was for people to consider where they would live when their earning power done for.

Back
Top Bottom