• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you were over age 70, broke and with no family, where would you go and why?

Coos Bay, Ore.

It's a coastal town, but a cheap one because it's far from major cities and all its industries were boarded up in the 80s.

So I can live on the ocean for my social security.

My wife and I go camping up there every summer. Great little spot.

The reason I framed it that way was for people to consider where they would live when their earning power done for.

I understand. I was just teasing a little.

It all depends on whether my "junk" still worked or not.
And this is a "hypothetical me" because my Social Security and pension is all worked out, and I am very happily married.

So, assuming that the "hypothetical me" found himself 70, alone and stuck on that fixed income, and my junk still worked, I would take off for a third world location* and screw myself to a happy ending with some local mature widowed senorita who wanted to take it easy with an old geezer for the rest of her life.

(*Most likely an expat community somewhere in MX)

The reality is, I will most likely do much the same thing right here at home.
If the fit hits the shan I'll take my own lovely senorita (Mrs. Strangler) with me and the both of us will be geezer and geezerette together instead, which for me is much more preferable since she kinda likes this old gringo for some strange reason.

And I would continue to vote liberal seeing as how the right is hell bent on trying to take away pensions and Social Security.

It all depends on whether my "junk" still worked or not.
And this is a "hypothetical me" because my Social Security and pension is all worked out, and I am very happily married.

So, assuming that the "hypothetical me" found himself 70, alone and stuck on that fixed income, and my junk still worked, I would take off for a third world location* and screw myself to a happy ending with some local mature widowed senorita who wanted to take it easy with an old geezer for the rest of her life.

(*Most likely an expat community somewhere in MX)

The reality is, I will most likely do much the same thing right here at home.
If the fit hits the shan I'll take my own lovely senorita (Mrs. Strangler) with me and the both of us will be geezer and geezerette together instead, which for me is much more preferable since she kinda likes this old gringo for some strange reason.

And I would continue to vote liberal seeing as how the right is hell bent on trying to take away pensions and Social Security.

From a completely cynical point of view, there's a New England expression: Earn it in Massachusetts and spend it in New Hampshire (the "sweet spot" is working REMOTELY for a MA company while living in NH because it's exempt from state income tax). There's actually a purpose to NH being more conservative and MA being more liberal. Liberal policies cost opportunity. However if you have no opportunity, there's nothing to lose. Unfortunately MA is an unusual case. They actually try to distribute the spoils of big government to constituents. California and Illinois are the opposite. The money goes to pad the pockets of the politically connected and build political power. Very little of it makes to constituents.

Last edited:
Unfortunately MA is an unusual case. They actual try to distribute the spoils of big government to constituents. California and Illinois are the opposite. The money goes to pad the pockets of the politically connected and build political power. Very little of it makes to constituents.

Au contraire.
I am much better off financially and in every other way after having moved back to California, and the same applies to my wife and family.
We're no longer scared to death about our kids being able to maintain health care coverage, we're enjoying a constantly improving infrastructure, our legal protections are vastly better, and our kids have been enjoying a better and more balanced education, too.

Our mortgage payment is cheaper comparatively than what we paid on the house in Texas that we used to own, and our carbon footprint is greatly reduced. We live in Whittier (next to Norwalk) and next week I have to be in downtown Los Angeles. I will be taking the Metro from Norwalk all the way downtown, paying less and beating traffic all the way there and back.
We are definitely getting a lot more for our tax value here than we did in Texas.

Food and gas are more expensive, but we don't have to drive as far, and you haven't seen produce till you've seen California produce, so it's well worth it because there's nothing else that compares ANYWHERE else in the country.

Our biggest problem here is that over-gentrification and wildcat real estate speculation have driven the cost of RENTS to ridiculous levels.
If you're a conservative property owner, the increasing value of your real estate is something to cheer about if you plan to sell soon.
If you're a poor working stiff just starting that can't get into the housing market as an owner, it sucks pretty bad on the coast so you're most likely being squeezed into the Valley or the Inland Empire.
But we ain't rich by any stretch. We got in during a slight lull and pulled some clever refinance options right after we bought and dramatically lowered our mortgage. Yes, the 2400 sq ft house cost $475K BUT our mortgage is only $2000 a month, which is cheaper than a LOT of apartments which are a little more than HALF that size.
And the speculation cannot go on forever either. People who bought real estate either in the 80's and 90's or during the recent economic downturn aren't feeling the squeeze.

It's the newcomers who are feeling the pinch.
Well, guess what, we were newcomers once, too. We lived as a new young family in a trailer home in Jonesboro, Arkansas, then we moved to Texas, then we moved here.
The only difference is, both the wife and I used to live here in L.A. before we got together. If I had stayed here and brought her and her kids out instead of moving to Arkansas to be with her, we would probably have paid off our L.A. house by now and we'd be sitting even prettier than we are now, but we're doing just fine anyway.

Oh yeah, we're remodeling the kitchen soon. The contractor handed us papers that deal with ARBITRATION.
In Texas, if a business is asking you to use arbitration, they're not really asking you, they are TELLING you, because it's a take it or leave it proposition down there thanks to Texas consumer law in most counties.
We turned down the arbitration, because in California no one can force you to either take arbitration or walk away.

If liberal policies fail, it's not always because they are in and of themselves liberal, sometimes it's because failed liberals are just as commonplace as failed conservatives.
Bad law can be written by people on both sides, and poor implementation of good law happens on both sides all the time.
Some people are just incompetent, or crooked, that's all.
When common sense conservative policies are properly applied they generally work, and when common sense liberal policies are properly applied, they work, too.

Besides, maybe you're being a little TOO cynical ;)
New Hampshire conservatism is, for the most part, a pretty good form of conservatism. The recent wave of extremism and obstructionist behavior on the right have weathered and rusted it some but at its core, it is still New England style conservatism which is a more grounded way of thinking.
Good liberals are able to find tons of common ground with the hardy conservatives of New Hampshire more often than not and it's not uncommon to see people on opposing sides of the political spectrum enjoying something of an "arm punching" type of friendship with their peers.

I know New Englanders on both sides who are old and crusty codgers who have been enjoying their odd friendships like that for decades.
I even know old married couples like that, one is liberal and the other is conservative, but like the old nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat and his wife, they "lick the platter clean".

"Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean.
But together betwixt the two of them,
They licked the platter clean."

I'm over seventy. I'm not broke. I don't get Social Security and I'm not eligible for Medicare. I have two children. I live in Mexico.

We get a lot of Americans here who are trying to live on Social Security payments or Supplementary Social Security, SSI.

I live in Mexico because I enjoy the people here, it reminds me of America 60 years ago, and there is no where I would rather live. I love both my children and don't intend to live with either one.

Until a huge tsunami hits,eh?

OUCH!
You know, last time I lived in SoCal, I was livin large on the Westside...Culver City, Topanga, Santa Monica, Venice.
For a while I even had a place right on the boardwalk.

I don't know about Coos Bay but I suspect it's probably very easy to jump in a car with your bug out suitcase and do 90 mph in an easterly direction for a good long while.
Earlier I was crowing about how well we're doing now that we're back in good ole Cali but I admit that no way can I afford to live right on the water anymore like I did in my youth.

But hey, tsunamis ARE a reality, and if there's one thing you can count on in SoCal, it's the fact that if we get a tsunami warning, that 90 mph streak is going to last all of five seconds as every paved surface will be clogged with people who had the same damn idea.
So in Southern California, da folks on da coast are gonna be sitting ducks, plain and simple.
Unless you have a heli or a motor-sickle, you ain't gettin out, no way, no how.
We now live in Whittier.

I can assure myself with great confidence that even one of the largest tsunamis imaginable isn't going to get close to the I-605 freeway.
Neither will the coastal flooding which might happen if climate change takes an "OH SHEE-IT!" turn for the absolute worst.
We might end up with quasi beachfront property, or downtown L.A. might.
Ees hokay homie. We are East of downtown, mang. ;)cool.gif

I live in the Third World and am friends with many retirees who live on just their SS benefits and live pretty comfortably. Its definitely an option because cost of living is much lower.

Quite a few Texas legislators would love to secede from the US. So if our witty Texas Legislators succeed, Texas will most likely become the newest 3rd world country.

Now it might take a few years to gain that recognition, but I imagine about the time our genius legislators figure out that they've peed in their peanut butter, things will have started to get pretty cheap here in the lone star state of insanity. :lol:

Quite a few Texas legislators would love to secede from the US. So if our witty Texas Legislators succeed, Texas will most likely become the newest 3rd world country.

Now it might take a few years to gain that recognition, but I imagine about the time our genius legislators figure out that they've peed in their peanut butter, things will have started to get pretty cheap here in the lone star state of insanity. :lol:

I agree with you entirely Remove.
If they did secede, they'd suddenly have to pay all the freight on their extreme right wing views, which they've managed to nurture because the entire country has allowed them to get away with it for so long.

And Mexico would suddenly become very important and very dear to Tejas once again.

I agree with you entirely Remove.
If they did secede, they'd suddenly have to pay all the freight on their extreme right wing views, which they've managed to nurture because the entire country has allowed them to get away with it for so long.

And Mexico would suddenly become very important and very dear to Tejas once again.

Texas must be terrible. Liberals are moving there to find work.

I'm over seventy. I'm not broke. I don't get Social Security and I'm not eligible for Medicare. I have two children. I live in Mexico.

We get a lot of Americans here who are trying to live on Social Security payments or Supplementary Social Security, SSI.

I live in Mexico because I enjoy the people here, it reminds me of America 60 years ago, and there is no where I would rather live. I love both my children and don't intend to live with either one.

I really, really like your post. Several people have warned me not to cross into Mexico with my new four wheel drive. Are they full of crap? I want to make a road trip down your way and was going to buy an old beater just for that purpose. Is buying an old clunker for the express purpose of a Mexico road trip an overreaction or good common sense?

I really, really like your post. Several people have warned me not to cross into Mexico with my new four wheel drive. Are they full of crap? I want to make a road trip down your way and was going to buy an old beater just for that purpose. Is buying an old clunker for the express purpose of a Mexico road trip an overreaction or good common sense?

Send me and email and we can chat.

I'm referring to states and cities, as well as places within those states and cities.

I would go as crazy as gary busey claims to be in his movies, live in a bus in blm land far enough away no rangers venture, then hunt animals, eat their meat, then sell their hides on craigslist to afford the phone to post things on craigslist.

It would be a vicious cycle I had not thought out well.

Coos Bay, Ore.

It's a coastal town, but a cheap one because it's far from major cities and all its industries were boarded up in the 80s.

So I can live on the ocean for my social security.

If you're going to live on the OR Coast, head for Brookings. It's warmer, nicer, cleaner...

I'm referring to states and cities, as well as places within those states and cities.
I would go to Seattle or Hawaii and live like a king on state benefits.

Would YOU want to be in a jail, prison or mental institution? Think of the post in terms of making the best of a bad situation.

if i'm 70, broke, in poor health and no one to take care of me...better than living alone

i mean SSI would provide what $700/mo and medicaid, so go to states with those and find the cheapest rent imaginable and live off rice, or maybe medicaid will cover assisted living idk

If you're going to live on the OR Coast, head for Brookings. It's warmer, nicer, cleaner...

Or Breitenbush. Hot springs and plenty of old folks.

I'd head into the three sisters myself with a sack of peyote and an ounce of pot. Pitch my tent somewhere nice. They can dig me out of the snow bank come spring.

Or Breitenbush. Hot springs and plenty of old folks.

I'd head into the three sisters myself with a sack of peyote and an ounce of pot. Pitch my tent somewhere nice. They can dig me out of the snow bank come spring.

Don't you go littering up my mountains with your dead body!!!!

:mrgreen:

Define "broke".....
Over 70 means eligible for Social Security and medicare.
And that means health care and at least pocket money.

My late uncle had nothing, was an emotional cripple thanks to his mother treating him like a baby nearly his whole life.
When his parents died, he was 50. His only living relative was my mother, who cared nothing for him. His entire working
career consisted of 2 years in the merchant marine during WW2.
That made him eligible for VA benefits and got him into a nursing home where he literally sat and waited for death.
He lasted 10 years....

That is a truly tragic story.

Depends on my health. If healthy, I'd grab a bicycle and start pedaling til I hit water. Kind of do a Forrest Gump thing: turn around and pedal again until I hit more water.

If sick....I'd probably just eat me a bullet.

I would go to Seattle or Hawaii and live like a king on state benefits.

If youre looking purely for state benefits then Alaska would be it- they have an oil revenue sharing program going.

If youre looking purely for state benefits then Alaska would be it- they have an oil revenue sharing program going.
Hawaii has fairly high social support levels, and the climate is tons better....

Jail

Commit a few misdemeanors crimes and go to jail.

Preferably in a state with good min security prisons. (Not Arizona )

Back
Top Bottom