• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You Were A Member Of Congress Would You Allow Private Citizens To Pay For The Wall?

If You Were A Member Of Congress Would You Allow Private Citizens To Pay For The Wall?

• Total voters

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Came across this article today and it inspired me to create yet another poll on the wall. Assuming the gofundme wall campaign collected the total amount necessary to build the wall from private funds (OK, probably not going to even reach the 5 billion figure let alone more), if you were a member of Congress, would you vote to allow the wall to be built? Even if the account was not enough to pay the entire cost would you vote to allow the privately raised money as a down payment on the wall to maybe at least start a small section in a strategic area?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/border-wall-fundraiser-already-among-015143068.html

Put up on public land, with no required government budget for maintenance sure why not

Came across this article today and it inspired me to create yet another poll on the wall. Assuming the gofundme wall campaign collected the total amount necessary to build the wall from private funds (OK, probably not going to even reach the 5 billion figure let alone more), if you were a member of Congress, would you vote to allow the wall to be built? Even if the account was not enough to pay the entire cost would you vote to allow the privately raised money as a down payment on the wall to maybe at least start a small section in a strategic area?

We need to be very careful; money already permeates our political system to the people’s detriment.

This topic... :doh

i'd vote for it if the ego wall was built by public employee union labor with full pension benefits paid for by the private fund. they should get at least fifty or so "steel slats" erected. then we can repurpose them as guard rails for highways or for wind farms.

As long as it's also maintained by private funding. Something like they have with the "adopt a highway" program where private citizens and companies pick up trash.

If I were a member of Congress I wouldn't allow private citizens to make public policy. Private citizens can raise all the money they want but it doesn't mean they can spend it however they wish.

Of course.

I'm not of a mind to stop fools from parting with their money.

For all we know, couldn't our adversaries be funding the wall ?

:thinking

If I were a member of Congress I wouldn't allow private citizens to make public policy. Private citizens can raise all the money they want but it doesn't mean they can spend it however they wish.

Well, in the event this insane plan actually worked out for them, they wouldn’t be making policy. They would just be donating money to help the executive branch carry out its policy. It would be the executive branch of our government actually taking the money and carrying out the project per the direction of the President of the United States.

The judiciary will still certainly be weighing in because there are going to be a LOT of imminent domain cases being challenged.

You know what? I would have to wonder since the expressed purpose of this go fund me campaign is to enable the fulfillment of a campaign promise made by a political candidate who has already made it clear that he will run as a candidate in 20220 if any monies distributed from it would be subject to federal election campaign finance and political donation law.

Quite frankly its disgusting that such has to even happen. Our federal governments main purpose is to secure our nations borders and yet they are refusing to do just that.

And no, I don't care for The Wall. I think its a stupid idea. But our federal government is not doing anything else to secure our border.

All that said...9 million from a gofundme page is NOT an insignificant amount. The reason I say that is not simply because of the amount, but because most donations to gofundme are from small donations. Which means lots of people put their money where their mouths were and shows that not a small amount of Americans want the wall built.

Quite frankly its disgusting that such has to even happen. Our federal governments main purpose is to secure our nations borders and yet they are refusing to do just that.

And no, I don't care for The Wall. I think its a stupid idea. But our federal government is not doing anything else to secure our border.

All that said...9 million from a gofundme page is NOT an insignificant amount. The reason I say that is not simply because of the amount, but because most donations to gofundme are from small donations. Which means lots of people put their money where their mouths were and shows that not a small amount of Americans want the wall built.

How do you know they are Americans ?

i'd vote for it if the ego wall was built by public employee union labor with full pension benefits paid for by the private fund. they should get at least fifty or so "steel slats" erected. then we can repurpose them as guard rails for highways or for wind farms.

One of the dumbest comments written in a while. At least the money would be gained for a cause much more honestly than our taxes are currently extracted from us and here you suggest purposefully wasting it.

One of the dumbest comments written in a while. At least the money would be gained for a cause much more honestly than our taxes are currently extracted from us and here you suggest purposefully wasting it.

i'd prefer to spend the money on our decaying infrastructure. however, that doesn't seem to be important to Trumpists who want to shut down the government in order to give their cult leader his ego slats.

i'd prefer to spend the money on our decaying infrastructure. however, that doesn't seem to be important to Trumpists who want to shut down the government in order to give their cult leader his ego slats.

It doesn't matter what you prefer. It's money voluntarily given by private citizens, beyond and outside of the tax code, for a specific thing. Again, you comment is utterly dumb, reeks of small-minded pettiness, and poor ethics.

It doesn't matter what you prefer. It's money voluntarily given by private citizens, beyond and outside of the tax code, for a specific thing. Again, you comment is utterly dumb, reeks of small-minded pettiness, and poor ethics.

thanks for sharing your opinion. enjoy pounding your money down a rat hole, though i doubt that you will actually pony up and donate more than a pittance to the gofundme. either way, moot point, right? Mexico is going to pay for the wall and enjoy it!

unless that's another blatant lie, of course.

Thread: If You Were A Member Of Congress Would You Allow Private Citizens To Pay For The Wall?

Who the **** else do you expect to have paid? Mexico?

thanks for sharing your opinion. enjoy pounding your money down a rat hole, though i doubt that you will actually pony up and donate more than a pittance to the gofundme. either way, moot point, right? Mexico is going to pay for the wall and enjoy it!

Videos like that strengthen my lack of hope for the human race.

I can only hope that the best of us continue to do such things as temper the worst, but I don't think the worst are getting any better themselves. Bunch of fools and cravens, for the most part.

Who else is going to fund the wall? Mexico? :lamo

Maybe Russians or whoever else wants to throw a wrench into works.

I asked "how do you know they are Americans" ?

Guess you don't really care if Russians or other nations fund the wall ?

If people want to waste their money on things it is the government's job to do? Let me.

Maybe Russians or whoever else wants to throw a wrench into works.

I asked "how do you know they are Americans" ?

Guess you don't really care if Russians or other nations fund the wall ?

Yeah, I'm sure that Russia is really going to donate a bunch of small amounts to raise a wall. :roll: Currently the site has 218,427 donations made to it for a total of 13,319,056 dollars raised. That's an average of 61 dollars per donation. Do you really think that any country is going to waste that much amount of time and resources?

Until such time as you prove that Russians or any other country did what you posit then I'll assume that Americans made the donations since it is an American issue. Believe it or not, not everything that you are against and yet still gets support is the scary Russians poking their noses in.

Videos like that strengthen my lack of hope for the human race.

I can only hope that the best of us continue to do such things as temper the worst, but I don't think the worst are getting any better themselves. Bunch of fools and cravens, for the most part.

hard to know. i don't like the alternate reality bubble thing that this Trump debacle has caused. if someone that you like lies constantly, it's better if you at least acknowledge that. i know that it's uncomfortable, but still.

It's an opinion, but an observation. I didn't give any money to it because there's basically zero chance it will be able to be used for the wall, would be throwing it away. All the rest of your blah, blah, blah, post is dismissed. My point has been made.

Back
Top Bottom