• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you were a black person, would you open carry if your state allowed you to?

Martin Luther King applied for an open carry permit and was denied by the "great" state of Mississipi.

In a biography I read of him it is frequently mentioned how is home had a giant weapons arsenal.

Southern states fought for a long time to restrict weapons from black people.

And if I were a US African American, aware of the history of my ancestors being brought here as slaves, the generations of slavery, the generations of injustice, the threat of the Southern white supremisist and other mistreatments that people of my kind have encounterd.

I would certainly insist on open carry.

WTF no poll
hmmm

anyway 2 choices:
yes or no.

Yes. Why would I not do so if I had a CCW permit and my state allowed me to do so, or even if my state allowed open carry without CCW.

I know some here in my own community that do so. Both under a CCW and some as just open carry.

Constitutional rights are color blind. If we don't seize our rights and exercise them, we will surely loose them.

Martin Luther King applied for an open carry permit and was denied by the "great" state of Mississipi.

In a biography I read of him it is frequently mentioned how is home had a giant weapons arsenal.

Always an important thing to bring up.

What does color have to do with open carry? NH allows open carry and yes, even black people carry guns here.

Eh.

I wouldn't. Seems to me, it would increase my odds of getting shot.

Methinks there might be some unintentional dishonesty here.

No I wouldn't.

But then I wouldn't open carry as a caucasian either, so maybe it's not the best answer.

Anybody who thinks that in general a black man open carrying is seen in the same light by society as a white man open carrying is a little bit deluded IMO. Rights may be colorblind by society is not. Whether this would lead to actual action towards the colored person differing I don't know, but they would certainly be viewed in a different light.

Yes. Why would I not do so if I had a CCW permit and my state allowed me to do so, or even if my state allowed open carry without CCW.

I know some here in my own community that do so. Both under a CCW and some as just open carry.

Constitutional rights are color blind. If we don't seize our rights and exercise them, we will surely loose them.
Treating This Fascist Document Like It's Some Kind of Magical Bible That We All Must Worship

Self-protection is a natural right; don't give credit to an anti-democratic manifesto written behind closed doors by lawyers for the 1%. The Second Amendment, which wasn't in the Constitution the Founding Fodder tried to sneak past us, does not protect your gun rights. Only your gun protects your gun rights, or else the SCROTUS would have taken them away long ago.

Nope.. Don't open carry, or carry at all for that matter. I think it would attract negative attention. I don't understand the purpose of open carrying anyway. All your doing is telling everyone you have a firearm so that anyone that wants to attack you will surprise attack you instead of attack you face to face. I would think a concealed carry would be better for self defense purposes.

Nope.. Don't open carry, or carry at all for that matter. I think it would attract negative attention. I don't understand the purpose of open carrying anyway. All your doing is telling everyone you have a firearm so that anyone that wants to attack you will surprise attack you instead of attack you face to face. I would think a concealed carry would be better for self defense purposes.

Depends on the target. If you are a scrawny little youngster, not paying attention to your surroundings, open carry could be a problem. However, if you show situational awareness any one open carrying could present to would-be thug - not a good idea/target.

Open carry has many purposes, readily available, comfort, and many more.

Hell if I know. I wouldn't be me if I'd been born and grew up black, and I can't imagine how I'd be different.

Now, if I went to bed tonight as me, and woke up tomorrow morning as black me... hell yes I'd OC, and I'd still listen to power metal, and I'd still worship the Aesir, because I'd still be me.

And if I were a US African American, aware of the history of my ancestors being brought here as slaves, the generations of slavery, the generations of injustice, the threat of the Southern white supremisist and other mistreatments that people of my kind have encounterd.

I would certainly insist on open carry.

Wrong.

King applied for a concealed carry permit and was refused.

Not being black, I have to wonder if it would be presumptuous of me to try to answer that.

There is no getting around it though; there IS a perception of blacks (especially black men) as being more inclined to criminality. Some of this is fueled by stereotypes and bias, some by legitimate statistics and experiences.

If I were a black man, I think I'd be hesitant to open carry and would probably prefer concealed carry. Now I may be showing my own bias since I prefer concealed anyway... but yeah I think I'd be concerned about being profiled for OCWB (Open Carry While Black).

What does race have to with OC? It's all about how you carry yourself and act around others when you OC that matters.

What's the problem? All barrels pointing down, not a single finger on the triggers.

He's just worried that the rifles might rust given the weather

He's just worried that the rifles might rust given the weather

What to do, what to do. Got to keep it open carry but damn it's raining.

If its your preference to open carry melenin is not a factor.
or YES

First if they were carried outside the pocket they would be stolen by others like purse snatchers do.

Studies of criminals find that one of the biggest deterrents to crime is that the potential victim has a firearm. In fact.. I think a good percentage of criminals actually stated that not only did they think it was a reason to not rob someone.. they stated that in the past they HAD passed on potential victims simply because they thought they were armed.

the reality is that we carry concealed because of the negative attention we unfortunately get. It would be much better from a safety standpoint to carry openly.

Blacks don't ever carry guns of any kind any where, ever.

Back
Top Bottom