• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you have had both vaccination shots or COVID

I comprehend just fine. I can still get Covid. I don't want to get it again. I live in a state where it is rampant.

Don't go off making personal insults about how others can't comprehend the gaslighting shit you are stirring.
hypocrisy-remember your comments to me were the start of insulting
We have both had Covid, and my GF had her first shot last week. We had Covid back in June of 2020.

Yes, we both wear masks. For our protection, and for others, and because we aren't the anti-science assholes that go around not wearing masks.

It has a value, and, like I said, I am not going into a grocery store that has a mask mandate and not wear a mask like some right wing anti-science asswipe. I am past the 6 month period of immunity, I could catch it again. I plan on getting the vaccination when it is available to me.

I think its funny that you pretend to be a Covid expert.

hypocrisy-remember your comments to me were the start of insulting
If you want to go out and pretend that you are safe, go for it. I didn't insult you, I insulted the anti maskers who are out there pretending that they can get away without masking.

The responsible adults will stick to the science, and not be assholes to society.

I don't have a full enough understanding, but:

There's a period of time when infected persons are contagious because they are shedding(?) the virus, which I believe means they have the virus in their mouth, nose, and throat. That's why they recommend an isolation period of 10 (14?) days for two reasons: If you test positive; if you know you were near someone who tested positive.

Combine the above with ~scientists not knowing if the vaccines nor recovery prevents the above in 100% of infected persons 100% of the time.

~Scientists don't know if vaccines nor recovery result in immunity for 100% of infected persons, nor how long immunity lasts.

So, there's a risk of being contagious and a risk of catching it more than once; these two things ~interact because the contagious period is before symptoms present, if they present. Those risks mean it's prudent to take the safety precautions even after being vaccinated or recovering so you don't get sick again nor give it to someone else.

I don't understand the shedding part for two reasons. Does shedding mean the virus is replicating in your body, not just exhaling what you inhaled? That sounds correct. And why do you only shed for a week or so, even if you're sick for longer? As in, why can't the virus be exhaled after that period?

I imagine this will be over at some point. The 100% above would be the ideal scenario.

Sorry for the long comment and if I'm spreading misinformation.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to wear a mask other than to keep the paranoid members of the public less uneasy?

Yes - because,

1] There's no such thing as guaranteed or perfect immunity

2] Immunity doesn't last forever

3] We don't know what we don't know about the above two

All in my humble opinion, of course . . .

Is there any reason to wear a mask other than to keep the paranoid members of the public less uneasy?
There might be. It's too early to tell. Two months after your vaccine regimen, you might still be re-catching and shedding virus while you remain completely asymptomatic. There might be enough data on the total impact of the vaccine by mid-summer. What's the hurry?

well yes, if a private business demands a mask and you want to go in, then you should wear one. Same with the government in your state. I think its funny you are unable to understand easily comprehended posts. As to vaccinations, I do too. Lets see how fast senile Joe can speed things up. If he does a good job, I will give him credit. Right now, in Ohio, 85+, doctors, health care workers, some first responders are the only people who are getting the vaccines now. Its way behind schedule
Current data says the first dose doesn’t begin to kick in for two weeks while the second dose not fully kick in for 12 days after getting it.

Calling Biden senile after the epically catastrophic response of Trump to Covid is what we sadly expect from his supporters.

Your state and every other state is ‘way behind schedule’ because Trump and his admin lied to all of them about having a ‘reserve’ of vaccines.

States are behind due to Trump’s refusal to institute the DPA across the board on 1/23/2020 when the Trump admin learned of the dangers of Covid. This will be viewed as a monumental failure. The Trump admin/GOP were too busy insider trading.

States are behind due to a lack of federal leadership. Just as in March with procuring testing materials and PPE, states are on their own with administering vaccines, as if we have 50 separate countries. You may see states once again making deals with foreign countries for vaccine.

There is No data on whether pushing back the 2nd dose from 3 to say 12 weeks will maintain the same efficacy after you get it. The Biden admin will fly in blind on 1/20 on every critical problem we have due to Trump sabotaging the transition. I will continue to remind you of this.

I have been making this point for months now. There isn't any reason for anyone not infected to be required to wear a mask.

From a civil liberties perspective there is a big problem with mask mandates.

masks(non-medical grade cloth masks) don't protect you according to at least 6 doctors I have consulted with and numerous articles I have read They may protect someone else if you are infected. So apparently your understanding of science leaves a bit to be desired.
Unless you are wearing a mask that is rated MERV 16 or higher the virus will pass through the mask. You basically have to wear a hepa filter on your face to catch the virus leaving your body if you are infected.

Another thing to keep in mind about masks that are rated correctly is air will take the path of least resistance. When you breath out your breath is more likely to escape around the edges of the mask rather than through the filter media portion.

I have been making this point for months now. There isn't any reason for anyone not infected to be required to wear a mask.

From a civil liberties perspective there is a big problem with mask mandates.

If you knew you didn't have covid then it wouldn't be necessary. But covid is spread in large part by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they have covid, which is why it's recommended that everyone wears a mask.

good point, you could be that 4% or so. but those who have had it-all the evidence says they are immune for at least 4-6 months.
could you please cite that evidence because i have seen reports of persons contracting covid twice

If you knew you didn't have covid then it wouldn't be necessary. But covid is spread in large part by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they have covid, which is why it's recommended that everyone wears a mask.
recommending is one thing, requiring is another.

recommending is one thing, requiring is another.
exactly
wearing a mask should be required for the public's greater good
delighted to see you agree

I had it. I was lucky enough to only have a dry cough and irritated throat for a couple days. I noticed a slight loss of smell for a while, but it's coming back.

I was more worried about the wife when I got it because she is in the high risk category due to the medicines she takes, so I made her stay with my son for a couple weeks.

I wore a mask before, and I still wear a mask every where but on the golf course, boat, and my home.

Only a real asshole would go into public places without one.

If the medical profession tells you to wear a mask after you've been vaccinated, wear the mask.

Is there any scientific evidence proving that vaccinated people cannot carry and transmit the virus or mutations there-of?

If the medical profession tells you to wear a mask after you've been vaccinated, wear the mask.
Nah, Right Wing keyboard warriors know better than medical professionals. We've seen that.

well yes, if a private business demands a mask and you want to go in, then you should wear one. Same with the government in your state. I think its funny you are unable to understand easily comprehended posts. As to vaccinations, I do too. Lets see how fast senile Joe can speed things up. If he does a good job, I will give him credit. Right now, in Ohio, 85+, doctors, health care workers, some first responders are the only people who are getting the vaccines now. Its way behind schedule
Right wing state fails--you already lay groundwork to blame "senile Joe" who is not even president yet. smh

masks(non-medical grade cloth masks) don't protect you according to at least 6 doctors I have consulted with and numerous articles I have read They may protect someone else if you are infected. So apparently your understanding of science leaves a bit to be desired.
Can we have the names of at least two of them so we can consult them too and verify your claim? If not, it's a meaningless appeal to authority.

Psssstttt. Guys.

They're STILL fighting safety during a pandemic.

Two main reasons

From what I read about two weeks ago it was not clear if the vaccine just prevents the symptoms of the illness from appearing in the vaccinated allowing that person to spread the virus to others.

Second is societal in nature. The more people wearing masks, the more societal pressure for people to continue to wear masks. Ie peer pressure.

Yes.

Well actually you are just misusing the word paranoid, which is great because then it allows me to answer unequivocally in the affirmative. When you attempt to troll people with a loaded question you still need to be factually correct. If Covid-19 were not even deadly there would still be a reason to wear a mask other than to keep the paranoid members of the public less uneasy. The easy answer is that it is a minor inconvenience to you in order to respect others. That is sufficient. Almost every one of my wife's patients has an underlying condition and her medical advice is to leave any enclosed area with unmasked or improperly masked individuals as a precaution. Those people are not paranoid, my wife hasn't seen many patients recover, if you're overweight with systolic heart failure, this pandemic can be scary. That is not paranoia. So the question really becomes, what is an acceptable inconvenience to respect the rights and wishes of others?

While I understand you are not a danger or a danger to others for a time after having recovered from Covid 19, it is about more than your convenience, it is about respect for others. I couldn't be any more surprised about the right's adoption of your right to wear whatever you want without regard to the right's of others. When the pandemic is over I plan on attending your church pantless and I can't wait for the acceptance I will get there. Pants are a terrible inconvenience, without pants my nuggets will get to breathe better and that will be so much more comfortable. I plan on scooting up to the front of the pew and letting them dangle right off the edge into the open air.

Yes, because the study and research timeframes for ALL vaccines was truncated due to emergency need, there was never much opportunity to find out if any of these vaccines provides "sterilizing immunity".

What is sterilizing immunity?
Sterilizing immunity means that the immune system is able to stop a pathogen, including viruses, from replicating within your body. It also means that you no longer spread detectable amounts of the virus to others.

Some vaccines don't prevent you from picking up a disease or a virus, they simply prevent you from developing advanced symptoms as the body's natural defenses are ramped up to fight it, but you may possibly still be an asymptomatic carrier.

Therefore, since it is not yet known if any of these vaccines offer such sterilizing immunity, it is wise to continue wearing masks in situations where you are in crowded areas. Your mask will also help protect others who are also wearing masks who are not yet vaccinated.
Eventually enough people WILL have been vaccinated that mask and social distancing will finally begin to fade.
That's the case in a couple of countries, like New Zealand, where life is beginning to return to some semblance of normal.

Back
Top Bottom