• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you have flipped sides ... how do you feel when you see someone that you liked back when?

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If you have flipped sides ... how do you feel when you see someone that you liked back when?

I just saw a post from Gary Sinise on my facebook wall ... and I remember that I followed him when I was still in the GOP. So it's weird. He hasn't actually offended me, so I haven't unfollowed him.

But whenever I see these people that I liked as a righwinger, it's a jarring reminder of how much I've changed since I first was so happy to see someone in Hollywood who didn't go lockstep liberal.

Before you know it, I'll like Janeane Garafalo. Eeek. No. Say it ain't so.

I just saw a post from Gary Sinise on my facebook wall ... and I remember that I followed him when I was still in the GOP. So it's weird. He hasn't actually offended me, so I haven't unfollowed him.

But whenever I see these people that I liked as a righwinger, it's a jarring reminder of how much I've changed since I first was so happy to see someone in Hollywood who didn't go lockstep liberal.

I thought this was a thread about sexuality. My mistake.

My political, religious, and ethical opinions have changed drastically over the course of my life. Hell, I used to be a young earth creationist and listened to Limbaugh’s show every day at work. I have voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Green.

I find having held numerous varying opinions over the course of my life gives me more empathy when having disagreements. I don’t assume the worst of people just because they disagree with me. I don’t assume it is because they are stupid. Our life experiences up to that point have to led us to different opinions.

My political, religious, and ethical opinions have changed drastically over the course of my life. Hell, I used to be a young earth creationist and listened to Limbaugh’s show every day at work. I have voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Green.

I find having held numerous varying opinions over the course of my life gives me more empathy when having disagreements. I don’t assume the worst of people just because they disagree with me. I don’t assume it is because they are stupid. Our life experiences up to that point have to led us to different opinions.

And that's how I feel. I can talk to anyone without insults. The world would be a boring place if we all were in lockstep. I don't have to agree with you to like you.

I get annoyed when I like people I didn't used to like and I ignore people I used to like, all because of Trump. I was actually happy with most of the right (not idiots like Mike Huckabee) for many years. Now they are just icky caricatures of themselves (the ones who are Trump cultists). Some I never liked though, like that fluting harpie Jeanine Pirro. I used to like Rudy a lot - not any more. I used to not like Alec Baldwin, and now I do. Stuff like that.

I haven't seen or heard much of Sinise lately. I always liked him.

What kind of weed were you smoking when you were a young earth creationist? You seem far to rational for that...

I'd like to try some, haven't been that stoned in awhile.

What kind of weed were you smoking when you were a young earth creationist? You seem far to rational for that...

I'd like to try some, haven't been that stoned in awhile.

Funny thing is I was completely sober back then. I didn't even take my first puff of weed until I was 40 years old (the weekend after retiring from the Army). I lived in a bubble and it was before I was active on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom