• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you had a military draft, would you serve ?

?

• Total voters
We here in Austria have the military draft, you Americans don’t (much of NATO countries either).

I was drafted at age 18 and medically examined for fitness, which I passed.

But I didn’t serve in the military draft and instead opted for the alternative civilian service.

About 45% of each year group of males serve in the military draft, 40% serve in the alternative civilian service (Red Cross, retirement homes, charity organizations, social workers etc.) and 15% are ruled unfit to serve (too fat, mentally ill, diseases etc.)

What would you do / did you do ?

Good question.

I volunteered for service and volunteered for Vietnam.

To this day I still don't know what my draft number was.

Would I do it again? I've thought about it 1,000 times. I don't know.

I support a full draft registration, male and female with limited exemptions. NO FAVORITE SON exemptions.

If America had a great deal more skin in the game where wealth, fame, gender, education, political or corporate connection held no sway, America would be MUCH less likely to send every other mother's sons and daughters to battle in a faraway land.

As a species we have not evolved as far as we claim. We are still settling disputes bashing each other with clubs.

I expect too much from the human race

Instead of just taking the L you seem determined to keep digging. Feel free to try to defend your position with some actual evidence.
Post the full unedited comments, I already know them and have the argument ready, I just want to see if you’re going to stop arguing in bad faith. I get you don’t like Trump, but this is pretty weak argumentation.

It’s really kind of funny, because you start out with the allegation that Trump faked his medical conditions, while knowing his medical draft classification would’ve been set by the service after an examination, with the implication being he dodged the draft, which is not accurate either. He showed up to register and was examined and given a classification and was sent on his way. There’s nothing more than that. He didn’t go out of his way to enlist, ok, but the vast majority of his generation didn’t. The total US military wasn’t 16,000,000 in Vietnam like in World War Two and as a historical matter if you didn’t want to go the Vietnam your chances of just hoping your lottery number didn’t get called were better than even.

So after this smear you want to use out of context comments by Trump and ascribe the worst possible meaning to them instead of trying to figure out what the actual meaning was.

Post the full unedited comments, I already know them and have the argument ready, I just want to see if you’re going to stop arguing in bad faith.

So post them then and present your counter-argument.

I get you don’t like Trump, but this is pretty weak argumentation.

I get you like Trump, but this is pretty weak argumentation.

It’s really kind of funny, because you start out with the allegation that Trump faked his medical conditions, while knowing his medical draft classification would’ve been set by the service after an examination, with the implication being he dodged the draft, which is not accurate either. He showed up to register and was examined and given a classification and was sent on his way. There’s nothing more than that. He didn’t go out of his way to enlist, ok, but the vast majority of his generation didn’t. The total US military wasn’t 16,000,000 in Vietnam like in World War Two and as a historical matter if you didn’t want to go the Vietnam your chances of just hoping your lottery number didn’t get called were better than even.

So after this smear you want to use out of context comments by Trump and ascribe the worst possible meaning to them instead of trying to figure out what the actual meaning was.

Actually I didn't, but it's clear in your kneejerk insistence on defending Trump against any and all possible accusations supersedes any kind of rational thinking.

My point as I clearly stated in my first statement that even if Trump did malinger ( I have no idea if he did or didn't, and I don't care), that's not the basis for which I would judge him. I don't blame Trump at all for not wanting to go to Vietnam. It was a pointless conflict that killed a lot of people for a strategic cause that did not impact the security of the United States.

Even if Trump had come out and said "Yeah I lied to get out of Vietnam", I still wouldn't blame him for that act alone. I understand it perfectly well.

Yeah, **** McCain and GDub.

@RaleBulgarian @justoneman
8c3.jpg

We here in Austria have the military draft, you Americans don’t (much of NATO countries either).

I was drafted at age 18 and medically examined for fitness, which I passed.

But I didn’t serve in the military draft and instead opted for the alternative civilian service.

About 45% of each year group of males serve in the military draft, 40% serve in the alternative civilian service (Red Cross, retirement homes, charity organizations, social workers etc.) and 15% are ruled unfit to serve (too fat, mentally ill, diseases etc.)

What would you do / did you do ?
Civil service.

BTW, I have long supported a return to the draft but this time, every American serves.

Civil service.

BTW, I have long supported a return to the draft but this time, every American serves.

I thought you said you think you're educated. :)

I think the country would need to be pretty ****ed to need my help as I'm 45 and have zero military experience unless you count many hours playing "Total War" games and I have a feeling I can't just sign-up and expect to become a general on my first day.

I saddled up with the USMC.

Would do it again if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom