• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you don't press charges on a Domestic Violence complaint . . .

In other words, no, and you agree that different people are wired differently from each other. Hence, different people will respond differently to various scenarios.

I never disagreed with anything you just said. lol.

I think the women that end up attacking cops for helping them are those mentally ill type women.

I think the women that end up attacking cops for helping them are those mentally ill type women.

Yeah, and also the ones who are likely to stay in abusive relationships. My late husband was a paramedic back in the late 70's, and he had many stories to tell of women who would attack them (the paramedics) or jump on them, when they were trying to help HER following an incident of domestic abuse, and the woman would defend her abuser every single time.

First off, I would likely have been a serious criminal without it. I have two parking tickets as the only two run-ins with the law I've ever had, and while one of them was completely legit, the other was a crock of ****. Not even a speeding ticket beyond that. Never even been questioned, nevermind arrested for anything.

My parents laid a hand on me exactly twice in my life. Both times were pretty half-hearted attempts using only their open palm. Guess that’s why I’m so much more of a hell-raiser than you. :roll: I've had two SPEEDING tickets. One was deserved. The other was a notorious speed trap, but I was above the limit. But I also have never been questioned, much less arrested.

Secondly, it instilled the proper social dynamic and morality/values into me. It also reminded me that one must be willing to accept the consequences if/when they choose to step outside the prescribed lines of society.

Yeah, well, MY parents somehow managed to do that without beating on me.

Not all partnerships are equal partnerships

But marriage should be

This isn't necessarily about "getting along". It's about ensuring a proper environment in the home and utilizing order and discipline to maintain that environment.

IOW, the environment YOU deem “proper”

My fiance and I have long since agreed on how proper discipline and order are and will continue to be maintained in our home.

So you’re one of those “domestic discipline” dudes. What a crock of flaming horse****!! If your age in your profile is accurate, I’ve been married to the same woman almost as long as you’ve been alive. I’ve never laid a hand on her in anger or as “discipline”. There have been times I’ve wanted to, and no doubt times she’s felt the same about me. But we seldom even yell at each other. If the matter is serious enough, we sit down and talk it out. Otherwise, we just let it slide. THAT is a partnership marriage.

I'm more than with the times. The proper times that is. You know, the 11th - 19th centuries.

More like the Stone Age

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

And therein lies your problem

I speak personal experience too, let me tell you, not being physically abused is even better than being abused. Who woulda thunk.

That would not have worked for me. My parents tried several other things with zero results. I had no social life so that wasn't something they could take away. I didn't really have any "toys" other than books, so that wasn't an option. I spent most of my time in my room by personal choice. Outside of corporal punishment there really weren't any other options. Personally, I'm glad they were as strict and disciplinarian as they were.

My parents laid a hand on me exactly twice in my life. Both times were pretty half-hearted attempts using only their open palm. Guess that’s why I’m so much more of a hell-raiser than you. :roll: I've had two SPEEDING tickets. One was deserved. The other was a notorious speed trap, but I was above the limit. But I also have never been questioned, much less arrested.

Then they, and you, got lucky.

Yeah, well, MY parents somehow managed to do that without beating on me.

With me there was no other option. It was just that simple/

But marriage should be

On that we will have to agree to disagree. In fact marriage is the main example of a properly unequal partnership.

IOW, the environment YOU deem “proper”

The environment I was taught, and which my experience have shown me, to be proper.

So you’re one of those “domestic discipline” dudes. What a crock of flaming horse****!! If your age in your profile is accurate, I’ve been married to the same woman almost as long as you’ve been alive. I’ve never laid a hand on her in anger or as “discipline”. There have been times I’ve wanted to, and no doubt times she’s felt the same about me. But we seldom even yell at each other. If the matter is serious enough, we sit down and talk it out. Otherwise, we just let it slide. THAT is a partnership marriage.

THAT is not what marriage is, so far as I'm concerned. Congratulations to the two of you, but that is not the sort of relationship I would ever want to be involved in. What I advocate is not a "Taken in Hand" marriage, or anything where physical discipline is a common event. However, it must be an available option, or other forms of discipline have no weight.

More like the Stone Age

Still a better time period than the one we currently live in.

And therein lies your problem

Therein lies YOUR problem with it.

That would not have worked for me. My parents tried several other things with zero results. I had no social life so that wasn't something they could take away. I didn't really have any "toys" other than books, so that wasn't an option. I spent most of my time in my room by personal choice. Outside of corporal punishment there really weren't any other options. Personally, I'm glad they were as strict and disciplinarian as they were.

Then they, and you, got lucky.

With me there was no other option. It was just that simple/

On that we will have to agree to disagree. In fact marriage is the main example of a properly unequal partnership.

The environment I was taught, and which my experience have shown me, to be proper.

THAT is not what marriage is, so far as I'm concerned. Congratulations to the two of you, but that is not the sort of relationship I would ever want to be involved in. What I advocate is not a "Taken in Hand" marriage, or anything where physical discipline is a common event. However, it must be an available option, or other forms of discipline have no weight.

Still a better time period than the one we currently live in.

Therein lies YOUR problem with it.
This really says it all.

Back
Top Bottom