• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you don't know: Ask?

If you don't know:

• Ask, and punch out anyone who makes a comment.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The other day during a Job Hazard Assessment someone mentioned making sure to use the truck's power divider while on the sandy right-of-way if the truck has one, and always turn it off before going on the highway. Well you know what they say: "If you don't know: ask", and I didn't know, so I asked "what's a power divider" (thinking it had something to do with a PTO) and they chuckled as if I was joking around. So I Googled it later, and it's a good thing I did because a truck I was using that day had one and I wasn't using it because I didn't even know it was there.

Moral of the story: If you don't know, keep your mouth shut and Google it later with that Droid you're not supposed to have at work otherwise everyone will think you're an idiot.

See related:

Last edited:
The other day during a Job Hazard Assessment someone mentioned making sure to use the truck's power divider while on the sandy right-of-way if the truck has one, and always turn it off before going on the highway. Well you know what they say: "If you don't know: ask", and I didn't know, so I asked "what's a power divider" (thinking it had something to do with a PTO) and they chuckled as if I was joking around. So I Googled it later, and it's a good thing I did because a truck I was using that day had one and I wasn't using it because I didn't even know it was there.

Moral of the story: If you don't know, keep your mouth shut and Google it later with that Droid you're not supposed to have at work otherwise everyone will think you're an idiot.

See related:

Yep nothing our fellow humans like more than to laugh at/humiliate others, in the army I would never ask my SGT's direct questions I would always ask everyone else before I took it up the ladder.

I ask all sorts of questions and I'm frequently surprised to be presumed to having a hidden agenda. There are over 101 things I don't know and yet if I dare to ask - and I do - I will more likely get attacked instead of answered.

Why do you suppose that is?

:)

In situations like this I never mind asking because I'm not stupid. Not knowing something does not mean you are stupid.

In other situations that are more philosophical or political in nature I ask even if I know. It is always interesting to hear someone else explain it themselves, you learn about them and you may gain new information. Win win win

If you don't know open your mouth to ask and Google it later to reinforce.

See related:

Oh, I'm always grateful to learn new things. I Google and admit it, though. Nothing at face value. I wouldn't believe you actually drove a truck 'til you ran me down with it. ;) ;)

I ask all sorts of questions and I'm frequently surprised to be presumed to having a hidden agenda. There are over 101 things I don't know and yet if I dare to ask - and I do - I will more likely get attacked instead of answered.

Why do you suppose that is?

:)

Because people aren't nice.

I think people look more stupid when they think they're above asking for help.

I don't know. You are the one who wants to turn teenagers into a food source :mrgreen:

I'm just trying to aid the common good of humankind by turning resouces into resources.

What could go wrong?

I wish I knew.

Is it possible we are all inherently mean, petty and spiteful ready to insult, offend or harm our competitors and that the tit-for-tat model is all that's holding this all together?

(the other tit, not that one)

i ask, even if it makes me look stupid. a mistake due to something i didn't ask about would be even more embarrassing.

Is it possible we are all inherently mean, petty and spiteful ready to insult, offend or harm our competitors and that the tit-for-tat model is all that's holding this all together?

Sure, but you can't appreciate the mean people without the nice people and visa-versa.

I'm just trying to aid the common good of humankind by turning resouces into resources.

What could go wrong?

I am pretty sure most 15 year olds aren't organic to begin with. Don't be fooled by the smell.

You forget to read the ingredients label would be my guess.

How is such an event even possible? I'm considered one of the greatest minds of my generation, many generations really, not to mention my eidetic memory, my invention of time travel, and my lethal ability to turn a declarative sentence into an interrogative by simple use of punctuation?

This has NOTHING to do with the topic, I just need to put it somewhere, do you think that will be OK? Eh?
images.jpeg

If I was afraid of looking stupid, I'd never open my mouth or type a post! :lol:

Case in point:
if you need to or are told to double clutch,you are using a non syncronous transmission.
...Googles "non-synchronous transmission"....follow the link and read:
A non-synchronous transmission is a form of transmission based on gears that do not use synchronizing mechanisms. They are found primarily in various types of agricultural, and commercial vehicles. Because the gear boxes are engineered without "cone and collar" synchronizing technology....
...STOP....Googles "cone and collar synchronizing technology"....

....and now I understand what Beerftw was talking about. However, if this had been a face-to-face conversation, chances are Beerftw (or especially my co-workers) would have quickly lost patience with my ignorance of basic automotive mechanics and started slinging light insults and questions framed to make me look stupid.

So, whenever possible, since it's not worth the drama, I just keep my mouth shut, remember what was said and Google it later with that Droid I'm not supposed to have at work.

See related:

Always good to try to find the answer yourself before asking unless it's just the occasional question, especially when the answer is literally at your fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom