• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You Could Direct $200 Million in Govt Funding

CalGun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What would it be on?

I know one thing. It would not be on empowering the women of Afghanistan!
Taliban-style edict for women spreads alarm in Afghan district

I have empathy for them but we have far too many needs ourselves here. I think if it were mine to spend it would be to start foundations for universities to start med schools. To get the cost of health care in line we need a lot more health care pros so the cost of them can be competitive instead of outrageous.

I'd give it to help community gardens or parks, which means it would me just as wasted.

I'd hire my friends at inflated salaries and find a project for what's left with a contractor who will take care of me in the future. I'm thinking Halliburton but with such a small budget I'll probably just route it directly to my bank account and cut out the middleman.

What would it be on?

I have empathy for them but we have far too many needs ourselves here. I think if it were mine to spend it would be to start foundations for universities to start med schools. To get the cost of health care in line we need a lot more health care pros so the cost of them can be competitive instead of outrageous.

More criminal extorsionist Dr's will not change things.

Only UHC with $150,000 salarys for Dr's or get the **** out of USA will change things.

But you are right, we spend Billions on a war in afganistain to protect China copper mines and dont charge them a dime.

I know, I'd send it to "freedom fighters" in Afghanistan like Bin Ladin to fight the godless Soviets, then when they took over, I'd abandon the country to the freedom fighters, who will make it a staging area for 9-11, costing us untolled hundred of billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

Wait, Reagan did just that!

I know, I'd send it to "freedom fighters" in Afghanistan like Bin Ladin to fight the godless Soviets, then when they took over, I'd abandon the country to the freedom fighters, who will make it a staging area for 9-11, costing us untolled hundred of billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

Wait, Reagan did just that!

I'd use it to continue fighting a War that I said I opposed, but instead of bringing the troops home I would expand it and then start a few more.

Wait, Obama just did that!

I would go up in a helicopter and throw it all out over Detroit. Might even be enough people around to collect all of it. Better to get rid of it quick before that money starts costing me more than it's worth. Going to be wasted one way or the other so why not make it rain?

What would it be on?
Aww, man.
I had read the thread title several times and thought it was a pleasant thought exercise. I hadn't picked anything out yet. But I was having fun with it.

Then I went and opened up the thread. I am very disappointed that it's just back-handed bitching.

If I had the "power", I'd direct the $200 million to an offshore bank account in my name and then take my time doing good deeds with it for people who need it. $200 million in the hands of government is like a dollar in the hands of a child - he/she can't wait to get to the candy store and see what it will buy.

If I had the "power", I'd direct the $200 million to an offshore bank account in my name and then take my time doing good deeds with it for people who need it. $200 million in the hands of government is like a dollar in the hands of a child - he/she can't wait to get to the candy store and see what it will buy.

True that! The government spends like it's monopoly money, and then they either squirm when it's time to be repaid and argue endlessly about it, or they just tell us we need to pay more in taxes, especially the wealthy who are already paying most of the bills! What's with DC that they just can't seem to connect the dots between borrowing and repayment required? Idiots!

Good morning, CJ! :2wave:

What would it be on?

Great question. Hard to select just one thing. Although $200 million sounds like a lot, it really isn't in terms of government operations. If I couldn't select my own personal bank account :cool:, I'd say take Sen. John McCain's offer if he were to be elected President to give it to the first person to invent an electric car battery that was affordable and had a driving range that was comparable to internal combustion engine vehicles.

BTW: for years I've been a proponent of allowing taxpayers the option of directing a portion of their taxes to programs and agencies of our individual choosing. Give everybody 1000 points that represent 10% of their taxes that year up to a certain amount based on the average or median taxpayer's income so that the super wealthy aren't given an unfair advantage over directing the federal budget. Then on the last page a list of agencies and programs funded by Uncle Sam. Each person enters a number next to each agency or program listed they want to support (or leave it blank) with 1 point representing .01% of their allotment, 10 points = 1%, 100 points = 10%, 250 points = 25%, etc. We could have everything from paying down the deficit to HIV/Aids research to Christmas baskets for military families to SBA grants to highway improvement/mass transit to a presidential elections fund to whatever.

I know Congress will simply appropriate less for projects and agencies they think are over-funded and more for things they think are under-funded with the 90% they get to spend but it would give average Americans more of a sense of ownership in our country and give us all a better understanding on what our taxes fund. Anything that gets a crazy amount of money they could never spend, media coverage would cause what they got to be reduced the following year and the agency would be free to save funds in an endowment fund for future expenses.

Last edited:
Yeah I wished we lived in utopia too where facts were not relevant.

Aww, man.
I had read the thread title several times and thought it was a pleasant thought exercise. I hadn't picked anything out yet. But I was having fun with it.

Then I went and opened up the thread. I am very disappointed that it's just back-handed bitching.

Probably would just devote it to subsidizing community gardens.

I would initiate a project to let Texas cede from the union.

Yeah, when I think of states that got nothing out of the Union, Texas is the first one that comes to mind.

Guess we'll have to dig up those Union soldiers that died defending it during the Mexican-American War.

True that! The government spends like it's monopoly money, and then they either squirm when it's time to be repaid and argue endlessly about it, or they just tell us we need to pay more in taxes, especially the wealthy who are already paying most of the bills! What's with DC that they just can't seem to connect the dots between borrowing and repayment required? Idiots!

Good morning, CJ! :2wave:

Good morning to you too Lady P

Back
Top Bottom