• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you could be a kid again.....

Luke Skywalker

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
...... would you want to?

Not me - absolutely not. I'm content with being 40 and looking 24........ :lol:

Having said that (and on a more serious note) - I sometimes wonder what it would be like to actually be a kid again. You know, some of us ask ourselves - "If only I could do it over again, what would my life be like now?"

AND for some of us, that's a very relevant question. Some of us have made lots of mistakes in life - and would love to have a "do over" if we had the opportunity....

Personally, I believe we all make mistakes - for better or worse. I'm made my share as well.....

However, I second guess nothing - I'm all for moving forward at this point in my life and not looking back. So no, I would not want to be a kid again - especially these days....

Now here's another question - Do you think youth today have it better or worse than past generations?

I think in some ways they have it better, in other ways worse..... Technology (read: the internet), for instance, can be both a blessing and a curse - especially for kids....

But maybe that last one is another topic.....

Just rambling, folks and am bored out of my mind right now....

Anyway....

Thoughts?

Sure, but I'd rather be a kid then than a kid in 2013.

Having said that (and on a more serious note) - I sometimes wonder what it would be like to actually be a kid again. You know, some of us ask ourselves - "If only I could do it over again, what would my life be like now?"

AND for some of us, that's a very relevant question. Some of us have made lots of mistakes in life - and would love to have a "do over" if we had the opportunity....

Personally, I believe we all make mistakes - for better or worse. I'm made my share as well.....

However, I second guess nothing - I'm all for moving forward at this point in my life and not looking back. So no, I would not want to be a kid again - especially these days....

Now here's another question - Do you think youth today have it better or worse than past generations?

I think in some ways they have it better, in other ways worse..... Technology (read: the internet), for instance, can be both a blessing and a curse - especially for kids....

Anyway....

Thoughts?

I've thought about it. If I could "know what I know now"... be the person I am today on the inside, with all the knowledge and understanding and character and confidence I've accumulated in nearly five decades, able to handle many things that I botched "back when" far better, and so on... it is tempting.

But I have to pull out a "trekkie" reference from TNG, the episode "Tapestry" where Q allows Picard to go back in time and "fix a mistake" he made as a young man... and his whole life changes, and not for the better, because "life is a tapestry, pull one thread and the whole scene changes".

Lotta truth in that. I wouldn't have married my first wife if I'd known what I know now... but then I wouldn't have my son, who is the light of my life and the apple of my eye. And so on...

So no, overall I don't think I'd do it.

I mean dayum, imagine having to go through puberty and Junior High again, that's enough to put you off the idea right there IMO....

Good things and bad things with that.

Changing one thing, one small thing, may not let a person follow the path to who they are today. For some, that may be a good thing, lol.

I guess it depends if you like who you are now.

I do know I would be giving my Mom a lot more kisses and hugs with what I know now......

Changing one thing, one small thing, may not let a person follow the path to who they are today. For some, that may be a good thing, lol.

I do know I would be giving my Mom a lot more kisses and hugs with what I know now......

Amen.

I've thought about it. If I could "know what I know now"... be the person I am today on the inside, with all the knowledge and understanding and character and confidence I've accumulated in nearly five decades, able to handle many things that I botched "back when" far better, and so on... it is tempting.

But I have to pull out a "trekkie" reference from TNG, the episode "Tapestry" where Q allows Picard to go back in time and "fix a mistake" he made as a young man... and his whole life changes, and not for the better, because "life is a tapestry, pull one thread and the whole scene changes".

Lotta truth in that. I wouldn't have married my first wife if I'd known what I know now... but then I wouldn't have my son, who is the light of my life and the apple of my eye. And so on...

So no, overall I don't think I'd do it.

I mean dayum, imagine having to go through puberty and Junior High again, that's enough to put you off the idea right there IMO....

Well said, Goshin....

I believe there was a movie in the 80's - with Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage (whom played father and son, respectively). They get to arguing or something and both wish they were in the other person's shoes.... And guess what? It happens (the father and son end up switching places).... To make a long story short, things don't go so well in their new bodies and they end up switching back by the end of the movie. The point is (from my recollection) that we should be grateful for what the things we have and not wish for things we can't have..... Something like that, anyway.

Some kids wish they were adults and some adults out there wish they were kids.... Personally? I believe they all should just be happy with what they have and take life as it comes.... None of us have it easy, but some of us think things might be easier in someone else's shoes.... That movie I mentioned is about walking a mile in the other person's shoes and finding out it's not that easy.....

Thanks for your comments. :)

new generation has already got lost in digital world

their chidlhood has been stolen by cyber world

Personally, sometimes I wish I was a kid again, so I could give my grandparents (none of whom are around now) a lot more hugs and kisses.....

I appreciate your post! :)

Anyway....

Thoughts?

Sure I would. If only I knew then what I know now! :mrgreen:

Anyway....

Thoughts?

Kids have it worse today. I never had a sense of entitlement when I was a kid. What kids today consider necessities of life? I considered privileges. I think parents try to give their kids more. Instead of spending time WITH them, they're spending money ON them. Social media has become the replacement for family conversations...too many extra-curricular activities keep parents from interacting at the dinner table...and there's too much credit too easily available that parents are willing to use to "improve" their standard of living beyond what they can afford.

"Go to your room!" mom yells. So the kid goes to his room. And his 34" flat screen. And Facebook. And Twitter. And his cellphone. "**** you guys," he thinks. It's more fun in here anyway.

And then the kid grows up and parents are surprised they have no CLUE there are consequences in life.

Kids have it worse today. I never had a sense of entitlement when I was a kid. What kids today consider necessities of life? I considered privileges. I think parents try to give their kids more. Instead of spending time WITH them, they're spending money ON them. Social media has become the replacement for family conversations...too many extra-curricular activities keep parents from interacting at the dinner table...and there's too much credit too easily available that parents are willing to use to "improve" their standard of living beyond what they can afford.

"Go to your room!" mom yells. So the kid goes to his room. And his 34" flat screen. And Facebook. And Twitter. And his cellphone. "**** you guys," he thinks. It's more fun in here anyway.

And then the kid grows up and parents are surprised they have no CLUE there are consequences in life.

Can't just heap a bunch of stuff on them and forget about them; got to raise them. It's called parenting and it is hard work and the primary ingredient is spelled T-I-M-E.

the results are well worth it.

I think you're being too hard on the kids. It's not only children who have a reliance on these things. Many adults are just as bad if not worse than the kids with their reliance on technical gadgets and such things.

Seems like every generation complains and says the same things about the younger generation. :lol: Kind of funny! That must be how you know you're getting old! Lol! J/K.

Nah. Being a kid kind of sucked compared to adulthood, honestly.

You live in a mind you don't understand. You live in a life you have no control over. You feel things you can't articulate. You have no real choices. You also have no real impact.

I don't miss being a kid. What most people describe as "innocence," to me, seemed more like living in a constant state of confusion and powerlessness. Your brain ain't done yet, and you don't get anything about how the world works. And as an intellectual creature, that was a very frustrating state for me.

For all of its challenges and hardships, adulthood is a great place to be; especially young adulthood, in a lot of ways. I try my best to appreciate that while it's here. Although I'm sure I'd find something totally different to appreciate later on.

I got my son his first cellphone when he was 12. I thought it was fantastic. When he was away from home, he could get in touch with me, and I with him. No sitting around worrying and wondering if he was ever late or something. If I was ever to be late, I could call him and tell him too. I have no problem with kids having cell phones. It's a really good idea IMO.

Nah. Being a kid kind of sucked compared to adulthood, honestly.

You live in a mind you don't understand. You live in a life you have no control over. You feel things you can't articulate. You have no real choices. You also have no real impact.

I don't miss being a kid. What most people describe as "innocence," to me, seemed more like living in a constant state of confusion and powerlessness. Your brain ain't done yet, and you don't get anything about how the world works. And as an intellectual creature, that was a very frustrating state for me.

For all of its challenges and hardships, adulthood is a great place to be; especially young adulthood, in a lot of ways. I try my best to appreciate that while it's here. Although I'm sure I'd find something totally different to appreciate later on.

Well said, Smokeandmirrors....

You are wise beyond your years - wish more "kids" these days have the insight you do....

AND it sound like you are at the perfect age in your young adulthood - enjoy it! :)

I think you're looking at this from a pretty superficial angle.

Kids these days are also micromanaged and over-worked to an extreme degree. They are literally never allowed to make their own decisions, decide what they like, or just chill out and play with a stick for a while.

Everything is scheduled. You don't go hang out anymore. You have "play dates." Children in middle class life are shuttled around like show ponies because Mr. and Mrs. Stepford don't understand that extracurricular or even academic achievement not the same thing as teaching them to grow into complete people.

I had a great view of this from the outside, because my parents weren't like that (perhaps because they were a bit older than the parents of most of my peers). And it's not like I was some sort of lout. I did extracurriculars, but I did the ones I liked, with a schedule that seemed manageable for me, or at least worth the strain it would put on my schedule.

Children today, in a lot of ways, are abandoned by their parents when it comes to developing critical thinking, having emotional support, making decisions. Their parents only seem concerned with showing society that their kid isn't dumb.

You want to know why kids these days can't even make themselves a hot pocket? Blame their parents.

Not because their parents are "soft," but because they're too hard in all the wrong ways.

Well said, Smokeandmirrors....

You are wise beyond your years - wish more "kids" these days have the insight you do....

AND it sound like you are at the perfect age in your young adulthood - enjoy it! :)

Thank you. I was one of those kids who enjoyed my elders more than I enjoyed other kids, and I can't count how many times I heard "enjoy where you are while you're there."

I've really tried to keep that in mind. I did try to enjoy my childhood (and I did -- it's just that I like adulthood better).

I'm really loving this age in my life. I left home at 18 to travel and learn and do stuff and screw up, so I've been living "as an adult" since I was legal to do so.

But I would say I didn't start FEELING like an adult until I was about 22. That's when I felt like I was starting to understand myself, and be able to function well in the world. And man, I'm 24 now, and the last couple years are so much better than anything that came before it. Yeah, life is still life, and bad things happen, and I make mistakes, and all that stuff is still true. But I'm finally in a place where I don't feel like I'm just stumbling around in the dark all the time.

And yet, I'm still young enough that the world is very much my oyster. I have advantages over a lot of my peers: I'm practically debt-free, I have skills that allow me to move very freely, and I have so many choices of where to go from here. And it's not like I was smart enough to plan it that way. I just got lucky. I am so, so lucky in so many ways. Sometimes it just blows my mind to consider how it is I got into this position.

Absolutely not.

Thank you. I was one of those kids who enjoyed my elders more than I enjoyed other kids, and I can't count how many times I heard "enjoy where you are while you're there."

I've really tried to keep that in mind. I did try to enjoy my childhood (and I did -- it's just that I like adulthood better).

I'm really loving this age in my life. I left home at 18 to travel and learn and do stuff and screw up, so I've been living "as an adult" since I was legal to do so.

But I would say I didn't start FEELING like an adult until I was about 22. That's when I felt like I was starting to understand myself, and be able to function well in the world. And man, I'm 24 now, and the last couple years are so much better than anything that came before it. Yeah, life is still life, and bad things happen, and I make mistakes, and all that stuff is still true. But I'm finally in a place where I don't feel like I'm just stumbling around in the dark all the time.

And yet, I'm still young enough that the world is very much my oyster. I have advantages over a lot of my peers: I'm practically debt-free, I have skills that allow me to move very freely, and I have so many choices of where to go from here. And it's not like I was smart enough to plan it that way. I just got lucky. I am so, so lucky in so many ways. Sometimes it just blows my mind to consider how it is I got into this position.

Three words - Go for it! :)

Dream big, set goals and have fun attaining them.... Sound like you're well on your way, imo...

I think you're being too hard on the kids. It's not only children who have a reliance on these things. Many adults are just as bad if not worse than the kids with their reliance on technical gadgets and such things.

Actually, I didn't mean to be hard on the kids at all. They have been very carefully crafted, through good, but misguided, intentions, to be exactly what they are. And far too many of them don't understand how the world really works.

Three words - Go for it! :)

Dream big, set goals and have fun attaining them.... Sound like you're well on your way, imo...

Doin' my best. Pretty sure I'm on the cusp on some kind of new era right now, actually. It's strange, the way you begin to be able to predict the chapters changing.

What I'm hoping to do in my mid-term future is provide some hope to my generation -- stuck in debt slavery and a never-ending post-grad free labor cycle -- that you can beat the game.

I don't know whether that's true yet, but that's my goal right now, and it seems to be just over that next hill. Mine is a severely disempowered generation, and maybe they just need to know it doesn't have to be that way. I hope it doesn't have to be that way.

They have no concept of their own self-worth, and they make no insistence that other people respect it. I'm so sick of watching my friends be used.

It took me a long time to figure out, apart from joy-writing fiction, what I should write about. I think that's what it should be, at least right now. I'm still too young to claim to be an aficionado at much, but this I know like the back of my hand. But first I need to know if it can be done.

I don't plan on letting my good fortune go to waste.

Actually, I didn't mean to be hard on the kids at all. They have been very carefully crafted, through good, but misguided, intentions, to be exactly what they are. And far too many of them don't understand how the world really works.

That's true. Growing up with all the technology has got to have some kind of an effect on them.

Back
Top Bottom