• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You Can Grocery Shop in Person, You Can Vote in Person

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Experts now say the health risk of casting an in-person ballot is relatively low. Will Democrats tell their voters that?

original.jpg

9/8/20
Zeke Emanuel has a message for jittery Americans ahead of a momentous election: Voting in person during the coronavirus pandemic is about as safe as going to the grocery store. In early July, Emanuel—the bioethicist and former Obama-administration health adviser—led a group of experts in developing a detailed and widely circulated chart that advised Americans about the relative health risk of more than two dozen common activities. Nowhere on the chart, however, was an activity especially important in 2020: voting. Its absence was conspicuous at a moment when the safety of this basic civic act has become the subject of a deeply polarizing national debate. Even now, after the country has gradually and often fitfully reopened, some Democrats are reluctant to say definitively whether it’s safe to vote in person. Yet with the start of in-person early voting just weeks away in some states, Emanuel is back with an update. Public-health officials have learned a lot about the transmission of COVID-19 since the spring, Emanuel told me, and the message around voting must change. “There’s a legitimate concern, but I do think we can make it much safer by following the precautions,” he said. “You don’t want people to be disenfranchised by the pandemic, and you should encourage people that it’s safe. It’s like shopping.”

In-person voting is no more risky than going to the grocery store, Emanuel argues, as long as certain safeguards are in place, the same measures many Americans have become accustomed to since the spring: Wear a mask and line up at least six feet apart. Voting locations should have plexiglass barriers separating poll workers from voters, as well as disinfectant to wipe down commonly used surfaces and objects. (In the risk-assessment chart—which Emanuel created with James P. Phillips, the chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University, and Saskia Popescu, an epidemiologist at the University of Arizona—voting would also go in the same low-medium risk category as playing golf or tennis.) Emanuel told me he hopes to correct perceptions about voting that, for many people, haven’t changed since early this spring. The Biden campaign says it plans to spend part of its $280 million fall budget on an “unprecedented” voter-education campaign to inform people in key states how they can cast their ballot safely and securely. As November approaches, and concerns about Postal Service delays potentially mount, the messaging may have to shift toward in-person voting. "We are giving people options of how to vote, and then letting them make the decision of what they think is safe.”

My polling place is a short walk away from where I live and that is what I intend to do on November 3rd. Take that walk and then vote in person.

I did so for the primary, and was totally satisfied with the coronavirus precautions in place. Dems need to realize that voting in person is safe, quick, and you know your vote will be counted.

Possibly, so long as there's enough polling locations and plenty of days/time to accommodate everyone without forming huge lines and such.

But since my State doesn't have its head up its ass, I don't have to worry about it. I will very comfortably be voting by mail. A 21st century voting system.

Experts now say the health risk of casting an in-person ballot is relatively low. Will Democrats tell their voters that?

original.jpg

My polling place is a short walk away from where I live and that is what I intend to do on November 3rd. Take that walk and then vote in person.

I did so for the primary, and was totally satisfied with the coronavirus precautions in place. Dems need to realize that voting in person is safe, quick, and you know your vote will be counted.

ALL voters should have that attitude. :thumbs:

original.jpg

Why are you quoting a failing Radical Left Magazine that is run by a con man and spews FAKE NEWS & HATE?

I have voted in person this year and felt very safe doing that. The voting booths were well spaced, there were social distancing markers on the floor, the
election workers had plastic between them and the voters. There was also several hand cleaning stations near the entrance and exit.

I think this is something that both sides can agree with! Get out and vote in person!! It's safe and a important duty for all citizens who are registered to vote!

original.jpg

Food-shopping is not without risk. Consequently there are alternatives for those in high-risk groups, such as getting delivery, curbside pick-up, using third-party shoppers, or simply getting someone - friend, relative, neighbor - to do it for you.

Given you're equating the risks here, should we make the aforementioned food-shopping alternative methods available to voters?

It seems logical that all young people should vote in person, assuming there's space for reasonable social distancing. We know that the virus isn't as contagious as we were initially concerned about. As long as you're distanced and wearing a mask, healthy and young, I think you should vote in person.

If Democrats take over in November, we can talk about things like automatic registration and universal mail-in ballots then.

ALL voters should have that attitude. :thumbs:
I have voted in person this year and felt very safe doing that. The voting booths were well spaced, there were social distancing markers on the floor, the
election workers had plastic between them and the voters. There was also several hand cleaning stations near the entrance and exit.

I think this is something that both sides can agree with! Get out and vote in person!! It's safe and a important duty for all citizens who are registered to vote!
This is terrible & possibly harmful advice for those in high risk groups. I'm glad I'm the one responsible for the safety of our family at-risk persons, and not you guys! :doh

original.jpg

Has nothing to do with any of this... Trump simply wants to make it hard to vote because the majority of Americans are against him.

You know this, I know this, everyone knows this.

It seems logical that all young people should vote in person, assuming there's space for reasonable social distancing. We know that the virus isn't as contagious as we were initially concerned about. As long as you're distanced and wearing a mask, healthy and young, I think you should vote in person.

If Democrats take over in November, we can talk about things like automatic registration and universal mail-in ballots then.
Actually, it's very contagious. Even Dr. Fauci claimed it was probably the most contagious virus he's recently seen. The reason it's spreading less, is because we are highly mitigating it. But I would not conflate hard-mitigation to equate with low or moderate virility. Remove the mitigation, this thing is fire!

Has nothing to do with any of this... Trump simply wants to make it hard to vote because the majority of Americans are against him.

You know this, I know this, everyone knows this.

I'll have to disagree, as people have been voting in-person since the genesis of our government. It's worked for nearly 250 years and Fauci also confirmed voting in person is possible if proper protocols are followed.

Actually, it's very contagious. Even Dr. Fauci claimed it was probably the most contagious virus he's recently seen. The reason it's spreading less, is because we are highly mitigating it. But I would not conflate hard-mitigation to equate with low or moderate virility. Remove the mitigation, this thing is fire!

Fauci also confirmed in-person voting could commence if proper protocols are followed.

Source here

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said this week he believed Americans should be able to safely cast a ballot in-person, so long as they follow necessary social distancing protocols.

"I think if carefully done, according to the guidelines, there's no reason that I can see why that not be the case," he told ABC News' Deborah Roberts during a National Geographic event Thursday.

Fauci compared the safety of casting a ballot in person to that of an in-person shopping trip to the grocery store in "counties and cities that are doing it correctly."

"They have X's every six or more feet," he added. "And it says, 'Don't leave this spot until the person in front of you left their spot.' And you can do that, if you go and wear a mask, if you observe the physical distancing, and don't have a crowded situation, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that."

I'll have to disagree, as people have been voting in-person since the genesis of our government. It's worked for nearly 250 years and Fauci also confirmed voting in person is possible if proper protocols are followed.

proper protocols are not followed anywhere

there is no correct way to vote and some states have been voting by mail for years

your cult simply wants to make it difficult

and we all know it and why

I didn't say it wasn't very contagious; I said it wasn't as contagious as we were initially concerned about. At the beginning of the pandemic we thought fomites were as bad as in the movie Contagion. That had us decontaminating ourselves and our groceries like we were coming in from the outside in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. But since fomites aren't the terror we thought they were, that's actually freed things up considerably. So if the virus is still spreading like wildfire, it's because dumbasses aren't wearing masks and socially distancing. In other words, so long as we aren't dumbasses, we can vote in person safely. But I'm not including the elderly in that equation because they're most at risk.

Edit: Oh, and large spaces, if they're interiors, are an absolute must, of course. If I had my way it would all be outside.

Last edited:

original.jpg

Yes lets all vote at our local grocery store. Great idea.

This is terrible & possibly harmful advice for those in high risk groups. I'm glad I'm the one responsible for the safety of our family at-risk persons, and not you guys! :doh

Listen people who vote are adults... Right! If you are high risk then you may want to vote another way? If you are so stupid that you read a comment on DP and then
make a bad choice because of a post? You probably should not be voting anyway!

Take some responsibility for yourself! Who else should be responsible for the safety of your family at-risk persons. Pretty silly post!!
An adult takes all the information and makes the best decision for themselves. I voted in person and felt very safe doing that!

Stay home if that is what you want to do......

proper protocols are not followed anywhere

there is no correct way to vote and some states have been voting by mail for years

your cult simply wants to make it difficult

and we all know it and why

Strange how the democrats have so many problems voting every year. The same damn bitching over and over?
Piss and moan about what a chore it is to vote. Have to laugh at them! :lamo

original.jpg

No, they will not tell voters it's "mostly' safe. LOL...
Democrats want to 1. Provide a way to manipulate the vote. 2. Have a claim to us after they lose that many ballots didn't get counted.
You want to vote, it's not hard to go vote.

Yes America, there is voter fraud. These recent cases prove it. | Just The News

Strange how the democrats have so many problems voting every year. The same damn bitching over and over?
Piss and moan about what a chore it is to vote. Have to laugh at them! :lamo

what on earth are you talking about?

please, do not explain

stupidity

I grocery shop on my day off and go first thing when it opens to avoid the crowds. The last time I voted was in a church basement, it was freezing, and due to the long line had to wait outside for awhile and that's with no one having to social distance.

Perhaps we can make it easier by making election day a national holiday?

I know it's sooooo very hard for a global superpower such as America to make voting safe, easy, and secure but we do want America great again, right? :lol:

=shrug- I'm in the at risk category; I'll vote in person.
I do not live in fear of man, beast, or a flu bug.
If one feels unsafe he should self sequester for the duration
but don't expect me to do likewise.
do what you feel correct for you and yours' ... y'all will be okay. :thumbs:

original.jpg

Nice picture... Can you assure voters across this country, like in say rural Texas, that their polling place will look like this?

Nice picture... Can you assure voters across this country, like in say rural Texas, that their polling place will look like this?

You must not live in rural Texas...

Back
Top Bottom