• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You Can Grocery Shop in Person, You Can Vote in Person

I grocery shop on my day off and go first thing when it opens to avoid the crowds. The last time I voted was in a church basement, it was freezing, and due to the long line had to wait outside for awhile and that's with no one having to social distance.

Perhaps we can make it easier by making election day a national holiday?

I know it's sooooo very hard for a global superpower such as America to make voting safe, easy, and secure but we do want America great again, right? :lol:

I’ve never had to wait longer than a few minutes to vote and generally it’s a walk in walk out experience, guess my area just plans better.

I don’t think a National Holiday would really help. Those in the lower paying service industry, whose vote is generally underrepresented, will not get the day off.

proper protocols are not followed anywhere

there is no correct way to vote and some states have been voting by mail for years

your cult simply wants to make it difficult

and we all know it and why

I don't disagree that vote by mail makes voting more convenient or that its wrong. The challenge I have with vote by mail is the expeditious plan to roll-out a process to support a national election, educate the electorate, address additional points of failure and provide a level of confidence that my vote will count. We've already seen failures this year in New York and several instances of voting anomalies with mail-in ballots (e.g. duplicate votes, mail-in ballots not reaching their destination, invalidation of mail-in ballots, which will increase due to lack of electorate education, etc.)

There is no way in hell that every state and every county can streamline the mail-in process in less than 2 months (or 6 months or 1 year)

I don't disagree that vote by mail makes voting more convenient or that its wrong. The challenge I have with vote by mail is the expeditious plan to roll-out a process to support a national election, educate the electorate, address additional points of failure and provide a level of confidence that my vote will count. We've already seen failures this year in New York and several instances of voting anomalies with mail-in ballots (e.g. duplicate votes, mail-in ballots not reaching their destination, invalidation of mail-in ballots, which will increase due to lack of electorate education, etc.)

There is no way in hell that every state and every county can streamline the mail-in process in less than 2 months (or 6 months or 1 year)

it has been months...

what do you need? 4 years to learn how to open mail?

Possibly, so long as there's enough polling locations and plenty of days/time to accommodate everyone without forming huge lines and such.

But since my State doesn't have its head up its ass, I don't have to worry about it. I will very comfortably be voting by mail. A 21st century voting system.

Can't blame Trump for your states problems. Get out ad vote. Pretend you're standing in line for a ride at Disneyland. People need to know voting is a privilege and not supposed to be a stroll in the park. Seems only Dems have trouble with this though.

Can't blame Trump for your states problems. Get out ad vote. Pretend you're standing in line for a ride at Disneyland. People need to know voting is a privilege and not supposed to be a stroll in the park. Seems only Dems have trouble with this though.

Voting it a RIGHT... not a privilege...

Voting is a right, and my State has made a fantastic mail-in system. Voting should be made as simple as it can be so that as many people as possible will participate.

Seems only Republicans have trouble with this though.

Fauci also confirmed in-person voting could commence if proper protocols are followed.

Source here
Thanks for the reply & link. I do respect Dr. Fauci & value his opinion.

I actually saw this Fauci statement in passing, while multi-tasking recently. But, I remembered it differently (or I wouldn't have posted as I did - today). So here is Dr. Fauci's full statement - in context - where his position contradicts the premise put forth in this thread:

I mean, obviously if you're a person who is compromised physically or otherwise, you don't want to take the chance," the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases added. "There's the situation of mail-in voting that has been done for years in many places. So there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to vote in person or otherwise."

Source: (NPR) New Research Suggests In-Person Voting May Be Less Risky Than Previously Thought

As you can see, Dr. Fauci is in support of mail-in voting (alongside in-person voting), and believes it is indeed indicated.

I didn't say it wasn't very contagious; I said it wasn't as contagious as we were initially concerned about. At the beginning of the pandemic we thought fomites were as bad as in the movie Contagion. That had us decontaminating ourselves and our groceries like we were coming in from the outside in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. But since fomites aren't the terror we thought they were, that's actually freed things up considerably. So if the virus is still spreading like wildfire, it's because dumbasses aren't wearing masks and socially distancing. In other words, so long as we aren't dumbasses, we can vote in person safely. But I'm not including the elderly in that equation because they're most at risk.

Edit: Oh, and large spaces, if they're interiors, are an absolute must, of course. If I had my way it would all be outside.
Actually, I did consider that might be what you were thinking. Fair enough. I probably should have put a line on that in my post.

I do agree we've come a long way in understanding, and could probably get R0 down below 'unity' if we all wore masks, socially-distanced, and followed proper sanitation. In fact, I remember seeing a statement to that effect. So sad we can't get onboard with this. Pandemic response is a team sport. We sink, or swim, together.

And yeah, I do all business & transactions I possibly can - outdoors. Unfortunately, that's soon going to be harder to do.

the last time i waited forty five minutes in line packed in with other people in a line around the building at a grocery store was never. the last time i did that at the polls was the last time i voted in a major election before the pandemic .

vote by mail, as the precious and Renfield do.

IF you want your vote counted and your State is new to mail-in-voting ... put on a hazmat suit if you have to but get down to the polls and VOTE ... in person.

Your COUNTRY needs you; please VOTE ... in such a way you make it stick!!!

Listen people who vote are adults... Right! If you are high risk then you may want to vote another way? If you are so stupid that you read a comment on DP and then
make a bad choice because of a post? You probably should not be voting anyway!

Take some responsibility for yourself! Who else should be responsible for the safety of your family at-risk persons. Pretty silly post!!
An adult takes all the information and makes the best decision for themselves. I voted in person and felt very safe doing that!

Stay home if that is what you want to do......
I assumed your position and the O.P.'s were against mail-in voting carte-blanche. If I read your post here correctly, you do seem to support mail-in if indicated or desired? If so, then I misunderstood you. Actually, that's the position (in-person + mail-in / side-by-side) of Dr. Fauci as well (as discussed above).

=shrug- I'm in the at risk category; I'll vote in person.
I do not live in fear of man, beast, or a flu bug.
If one feels unsafe he should self sequester for the duration
but don't expect me to do likewise.
do what you feel correct for you and yours' ... y'all will be okay. :thumbs:
That's perfectly reasonable, and I very much agree. As long as those citizens that are at risk have a safe method to exercise their sacred right, I'm fine with in-person voting for those that so chose.

Nice picture... Can you assure voters across this country, like in say rural Texas, that their polling place will look like this?
That's the exact thought that occurred to me. During the primary my polling place looked nothing like that, and they were Covid aware.

When did you learn this bit of BS?

I forget that lefties think along the entitlement lines where someone should come to your home so you aren't inconvenienced in any manner. My bad.

Voting it a RIGHT... not a privilege...

I forgot that the left wants voting to be so easy that they should be chauffeured to the polls.

Voting is a right, and my State has made a fantastic mail-in system. Voting should be made as simple as it can be so that as many people as possible will participate.

Seems only Republicans have trouble with this though.

As long as dead people don't vote or people voting twice, I'm cool with that.

I’ve never had to wait longer than a few minutes to vote and generally it’s a walk in walk out experience, guess my area just plans better.

I don’t think a National Holiday would really help. Those in the lower paying service industry, whose vote is generally underrepresented, will not get the day off.
My experience is exactly the same. In & out. Hell, we do in person voting for several weeks leading up to the election! I'm aghast at seeing these 2 and 3 hour lines in some places. What the hell is wrong with those local governments?

I forget that lefties think along the entitlement lines where someone should come to your home so you aren't inconvenienced in any manner. My bad.
I think you forgot, conveniently, whut you blurted:

People need to know voting is a privilege

Again, where and when did you come to this faulty understanding that voting in the US was a "privilege"?

I'll give you one more chance to explain your comment.

Voting is a Right! :doh

Years ago I voted in person. Was in line for 4 hours to vote. When I grocery shop I am back home within an hour. So I started voting by mail in ballot. Sometimes I mail it in. Sometimes I swing by the polling location and drop the ballot in the drop box.

I had to request a mail in ballot. I don't support a blanket mail out to everyone. We should have a voting week or month to limit the lines if we were to do away with mail in ballots except for those who are physically unable to get to the polls.

if mail in voting is so bad then Trump's 2016 election should be thrown out and Trump removed from office. After all it was fraudulent, right?

My experience is exactly the same. In & out. Hell, we do in person voting for several weeks leading up to the election! I'm aghast at seeing these 2 and 3 hour lines in some places. What the hell is wrong with those local governments?

Piss poor leadership

I forgot that the left wants voting to be so easy that they should be chauffeured to the polls.

Voting should be easy. Simply making it accessible to citizens would probably be much less expensive than hiring a personal driver for each of us, but it’s an election year so I’m open to being swayed.

Voting is a Right! :doh

Ever get the sense the Constitution-knowers haven’t even read it? Like all the dudes that left “Infinite Jest” out on their coffee tables but never cracked it.

With reference to the topic line, it is, in general, simply a true statement.

Here is another true statement.

If, in a given week, you intend to go out twice, once to shop for groceries and once to vote, you can reduce the outings at which you risk contracting the Covid-19 virus by 50% if you chose to vote by mail instead of voting in person.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Back
Top Bottom