• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you are a true American, support your American economy ONLY buy Honda and Toyota.

LizardofOz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
That's right. Next time you go out and buy a car there should only be 2 high quality, well priced brands in your mind: Honda and Toyota.

Let me give you some insight on it: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the largest Toyota factory outside of Japan in the world, and to my knowledge, the largest outside of Michigan. All of their parts while many are Japanese designed come completely from United States preassembly factories from areas such as Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and so on.

Honda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia operates within California with most major manufacturing and preassembly located in the same areas as Toyota.

Ever wonder why Honda and Toyota make well priced cars with better fuel economy? Maybe why they consistently outdo GM, Ford, and Chrysler? Maybe it has a little to do with the fact that from top to bottom the cars are American built.

GM? At one point I felt it was neccassary to support them but screw GM they should have never gotten bailed out. Half their parts come from China and Taiwan and are assembled in America. That's why they don't say "built in America" anymore. Ford? How did they make sure they didn't meet the same fate GM did? They get half their crap from and assembled in Mexico. So next time you start spouting off what is better, Chevy or Ford, remember that Honda and Toyota beats the hell out of both of them, support our economy, and help me get a bonus. ;)

Re: If you are a true American, support your American economy ONLY buy Honda and Toyo

At this point, If I need a new car, I will probably get a Kia or Scion. I can afford a more expensive car, but they all get me from point a to point b, so why throw extra money into solving a problem?

Re: If you are a true American, support your American economy ONLY buy Honda and Toyo

That's right. Next time you go out and buy a car there should only be 2 high quality, well priced brands in your mind: Honda and Toyota.

Let me give you some insight on it: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the largest Toyota factory outside of Japan in the world, and to my knowledge, the largest outside of Michigan. All of their parts while many are Japanese designed come completely from United States preassembly factories from areas such as Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and so on.

Honda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia operates within California with most major manufacturing and preassembly located in the same areas as Toyota.

Ever wonder why Honda and Toyota make well priced cars with better fuel economy? Maybe why they consistently outdo GM, Ford, and Chrysler? Maybe it has a little to do with the fact that from top to bottom the cars are American built.

GM? At one point I felt it was neccassary to support them but screw GM they should have never gotten bailed out. Half their parts come from China and Taiwan and are assembled in America. That's why they don't say "built in America" anymore. Ford? How did they make sure they didn't meet the same fate GM did? They get half their crap from and assembled in Mexico. So next time you start spouting off what is better, Chevy or Ford, remember that Honda and Toyota beats the hell out of both of them, support our economy, and help me get a bonus. ;)

I have a Lexus. It's manufactured in Japan and Canada, by Toyota. It's an excellent automobile, and there isn't a luxury car made by GM or Ford that can compete with it. Dollar-for-dollar, feature-for-feature, there's no comparison - both at point of sale and service.

The reason I'm saying that is because, while I think your assessment of both Toyota and Honda quality is correct, I think it's more to do with a very successful business model than the fact that these two cars are American-made.

I have a Lexus. It's manufactured in Japan and Canada, by Toyota. It's an excellent automobile, and there isn't a luxury car made by GM or Ford that can compete with it. Dollar-for-dollar, feature-for-feature, there's no comparison - both at point of sale and service.

The reason I'm saying that is because, while I think your assessment of both Toyota and Honda quality is correct, I think it's more to do with a very successful business model than the fact that these two cars are American-made.

Perhaps--also the place I work at we create parts for Lexus. :) There are many things I think that have to do with it but yeah TMMC makes Lexus, with some parts comign out of Sango and Tokai in US, no parts come directly from Japan. As far as I know, raw materials will however.

At this point, If I need a new car, I will probably get a Kia or Scion. I can afford a more expensive car, but they all get me from point a to point b, so why throw extra money into solving a problem?

Scion is created by Toyota Manufacturing of America. Kia is a gangbang of a bunch of companies owning different parts of it and trying to pawn it off because Hyundai, Ford, Toyota (the actual owners of Kia) don't want it because their cars crap out after a few years, but go ahead and buy it.

Scion is created by Toyota Manufacturing of America. Kia is a gangbang of a bunch of companies owning different parts of it and trying to pawn it off because Hyundai, Ford, Toyota (the actual owners of Kia) don't want it because their cars crap out after a few years, but go ahead and buy it.

Kia is owned by Hyundai. The majority of its cars are now based on Hyundai products

Kia is owned by Hyundai. The majority of its cars are now based on Hyundai products

With other parts of it from Ford and Toyota. Hyundai, while they definately make most of their stuff in United States that they sell isn't worth 2 squirts of piss...from experience of course.

One thing Toyota and (to some extent other automotive companies)has going for them is their Lean/6sigma/just-in-time thing. Theirs is a truly impressive manufacturing system with some very interesting concepts built into it.

With other parts of it from Ford and Toyota. Hyundai, while they definately make most of their stuff in United States that they sell isn't worth 2 squirts of piss...from experience of course.

and your experience is now outdated.

As Kia has moved to using hyundai platforms its quality has improved just as hyundai's have

Yes hyudai and Kia use parts from Visteon (ford's parts spinoff company. Just like fords parts are made by various companies, so are toyota. It does not change the fact that Kia is a wholly owned by Hyundai

One thing Toyota and (to some extent other automotive companies)has going for them is their Lean/6sigma/just-in-time thing. Theirs is a truly impressive manufacturing system with some very interesting concepts built into it.

6 Sigma is a program created by GE under Jack Welch, it is somewhat overblown as a management technique. Lean manufacturing on the other hand is used by nearly all manufacturers that can use it. It cuts capital costs drastically by limiting the amount of money tied up in parts inventory

and your experience is now outdated.

As Kia has moved to using hyundai platforms its quality has improved just as hyundai's have

Yes hyudai and Kia use parts from Visteon (ford's parts spinoff company. Just like fords parts are made by various companies, so are toyota. It does not change the fact that Kia is a wholly owned by Hyundai

So my 2002 Sonata I had has changed that dramatically to 2011 model? Lol. Wow I would be impressed if they were able to evolve and go against how the entire car manufacturing industry actually works.

So my 2002 Sonata I had has changed that dramatically to 2011 model? Lol. Wow I would be impressed if they were able to evolve and go against how the entire car manufacturing industry actually works.

yes it has

It has gone through two massive redesigns in that time period. The first in 2005 and the latest just this year. Most reports regarding hyudai Sonata quality has it ranked near the top in product quality.

yes it has

It has gone through two massive redesigns in that time period. The first in 2005 and the latest just this year. Most reports regarding hyudai Sonata quality has it ranked near the top in product quality.

Lol. Sorry but just from experience I doubt the design changes are as major as they make them out to be.

Lol. Sorry but just from experience I doubt the design changes are as major as they make them out to be.

In 2005,

new engine designs, new platform. Perhaps some nuts and bolts being carried over. In 2010, a major sheetmetal redesign and a new engine choice, with improvements to the carryover.

Japanese makers follow a pattern typically of a major update every 4-6 years, changing the sheetmetal, updating engines and redoing the interior. Every 8-12 years a massive update. Generally an entirelly new platform, with updates to the engines. Domestic car makers are usually alot slower in developing new cars, both in major updates, and in creating entirely new platforms.

Ford US for instance has not developed a new car platform since the Lincon LS, which was used for the Ford Thunderbird and the current Mustang. All other platforms are either from Ford Europe, Mazda or Volvo. GM has done a better job, and Chryrsler has been dependant on Mitsubishi and MB for its platforms

i understand that to be correct as well (my brother there as an engineer). frankly, i swore off American brands when they went and asked for bailouts.

failure is part of the cost of competition.

Hyundai, while they definately make most of their stuff in United States that they sell isn't worth 2 squirts of piss...from experience of course.

Doesn't that contradict your thesis of this thread: "...they consistently outdo GM, Ford, and Chrysler... it has a little to do with the fact that from top to bottom the cars are American built."

Back
Top Bottom