• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you agree with NY Stop & Frisk why is Obama's NSA program a problem?

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Essentially both Stop & Frisk and Obama's NSA surveillance program comes down to ....search millions of innocent people ...to find that one or two bad actors.

I have to ask why would somebody be for S&F ...and then scream bloody murder over Obama's NSA program?

Is the answer to this question as simple as .......I'm not black ...so S&F ...don't affect me?

Hmmmm...

So far as I can tell, there is nothing to the NSA "scandal" other than it plays to the paranoia/guilty conscious of people so it makes for good press. There have been glitches here and there where computers picked up things they weren't supposed to, but that will improve with time. I believe that the people designing and building that system want it to work in a balanced way, even when the law allows them to be more heavy-handed and intrusive. It is just going to take a lot of work to do that. There are some truly evil people in this world, and if this is what we as a society must do to stop them, then so be it.

The stop and frisk thing is a little more troublesome. I can see how it can become oppressive harassment in some high-patrol areas, but, at the same time, I also believe that the police should be able to take reasonable steps to protect themselves. They have families to go home to as well, and people who love them, and lives that are ruined every time one of them is seriously injured or killed. I could never be a police officer. I am too trusting of strangers and will give them the benefit of the doubt usually. That is the thing that will get you killed. I do truly believe that the majority of police officers--the very vast majority--are decent people. They just may not always deal with the stress and pressure of their jobs so well, and transfer that negativity onto others. It is human nature.

Essentially both Stop & Frisk and Obama's NSA surveillance program comes down to ....search millions of innocent people ...to find that one or two bad actors.

I have to ask why would somebody be for S&F ...and then scream bloody murder over Obama's NSA program?

Is the answer to this question as simple as .......I'm not black ...so S&F ...don't affect me?

Hmmmm...

These two programs are nothing alike.

They're both illegal. But how do you prevent a super secret agency from spying on you?

I agree ...S&F ...don't affects whites. That's the essential difference.

Well no, the essential difference lies in the means and ends of both programs. They really are nothing alike, and to generalize them both as being programs in which "millions of innocents are searched in order to find one or two bad actors" is just wrong.

They're both illegal. But how do you prevent a super secret agency from spying on you?

I agree ....but the media only call the NSA program illegal!!

It only shows that the media, the politicians...and the American people are all a-wash in the same stinking-pot!!

The people running around screaming the loudest over the NSA program are the very same people most likely to turn right around and defend the S&F program.

Nobody gets to call themselves clean ..if you objectively look at the situation.

Well no, the essential difference lies in the means and ends of both programs. They really are nothing alike, and to generalize them both as being programs in which "millions of innocents are searched in order to find one or two bad actors" is just wrong.
Stop and frisk is used on any individual that looks like a gang banger. What does a gang banger look like? baggy pants, etc sterotypical crap. That makes it wrong.

NSA searches everyone regardless of appearance, race, or religion. What should they do if they discover a pedophile? Should they turn over the records to local law enforcement agencies for prosecution? What about drug dealing, tax evasion, etc. I doubt there is too many people who are truly 100% obeying the laws. Piracy, should the NSA turn you in for piracy. What is to stop them? WE would turn into a police state. And what kind of people would they have to be to turn over a serial killer, for example, and not turn over the evidence to the police. Where do you draw the line of what they turn over vs what they don't.

Then there is Watergate. NSA is a politicians tool.

I agree ....but the media only call the NSA program illegal!!

It only shows that the media, the politicians...and the American people are all a-wash in the same stinking-pot!!

The people running around screaming the loudest over the NSA program are the very same people most likely to turn right around and defend the S&F program.

Nobody gets to call themselves clean ..if you objectively look at the situation.

The media is run by liberals. And stop and frisk gets rid of guns in possession of those who shouldn't have guns. But it's still wrong and illegal. Liberals spend too much time thinking with their emotions.

The media is run by liberals. And stop and frisk gets rid of guns in possession of those who shouldn't have guns. But it's still wrong and illegal. Liberals spend too much time thinking with their emotions.

Liberal emotional....really....have you been looking at the people who call themselves Tea purty lately? :lamo

Back
Top Bottom