• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem

Be careful what you wish for. Running with them girls is painful, finding the right sports bra is a chore, a lap suit that works is almost impossible.

This is why I always wish for breasts that are attached to other people.

Only a racist would deny the racist subtext to the cartoon.

That being said, I'm not sure whether this is grounds for freaking out in a country as racist as the U.S.

You have no clue about how little racism there really is in the US. I have good friend/co-worker/fellow believer who has two sons (and a daughter) he adopted from Africa. One is from Uganda and is, in his words "brown", the other is from Ethiopia and is in his words "black". When the "brown" son gets mad, he tells the "black" son that he's just a black, so shut up. You haven't seen racism until you go to places like Africa and Asia where real racism is so deeply ingrained into their society that just being the wrong tribe means that you are unemployable. Talk to a Japanese person about Cambodians and see what real racism looks like. There are a small handful of racists in this country (the fastest growing group is anti-white racists), but we're still far more tolerant than most places on this planet.

That being said, I'm not sure whether this is grounds for freaking out in a country as racist as the U.S.

I see nothing racist. It's been known for some time that Michelle is black.

It's an ugly cartoon, no doubt.

Trump's wife is depicted reasonably fairly, methinks. Obama's wife, otoh, is dramatically and unfairly misrepresented. Depicted as a Muscle-Beach version of the First Lady. And very masculine, with less-than-subtle crotch bulge. And then there's the question of 'why'. As mentioned... the current election appears as if it will be between Trump & Bernie or Hillary.

Some here said they found it funny. That's puzzling. It strikes me as nothing more than a classless cheap shot against a woman who did nothing to earn that sort of treatment.

"If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem"

I'm part of the problem then, whatever problem it is. The day I get upset over a political cartoon is the day I will stop following politics.

"If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem"

I'm part of the problem then, whatever problem it is. The day I get upset over a political cartoon is the day I will stop following politics.

I agree. I'm not much upset... but I continue to be disappointed in my fellow human beings. Surprised? No. Saddened? Yes. Perhaps a more accurate title would have been, "If You Don't See The Problem With..."

It's just unnecessary and stupid. It depicts Michelle Obama as having a bulge? Seriously?

As a non American poster, it always astounds me when Americans get upset if citizens or Leaders of other Countries are critical in any way of the US or her people because I can guarantee you that there is nothing I have seen said here that even comes close to what Americans say about their own leaders and their families. The venom I see directed at Clinton, Trump, President Obama, Sarah Palin (and often their families) is simply off the planet.

Criticise their Policies by all means but the other hateful stuff is just so over the top and completely unnecessary.

I do not mind the venom directed at the actual politicians much, but for ****s sake, we need to leave their families out of it. Palin in particular has had her family targeted for way way too much.

Only a racist would see the racist subtext to the cartoon.

And of course attacking the spouses of politicians is moronic on every level. Gee...where have we seen/heard that before most recently? Mr. Trump?
It's only slightly less ignorant than attacking the children of a politician. Perhaps that's next.
It's only ok to attack a politician's family if that family is brought into politics. That's why I was fine with people mocking Cruz' attempts to manipulate his own children to portray himself as a "family man". That's why I was fine with Hillary getting attacked by Republican in the 90's when she tried to play the part of a politician and she failed spectacularly. That's why I was fine with people mocking Ann Romney: Mittens tried to claim she was his most valuable advisor.

In that regard though Michelle has kept herself out of politics. Her "Get Fit/Let's Move" excercise for children is inoffensive and apolitical. This cartoon is bad because it's attacking a politicians wife and the point it's making is vapid. But it's not racist, it's just dumb.

Michelle is s beautiful, intelligent woman. She is also very toned. The cartoon is exaggerating that to make her look grumpy and masculine. It is ridiculous, of course, but it isn't inherently racist. I have certainly seen racist cartoons of her, just not this one.

I actually agree for the most part. I don't remember what exactly was on TV, but I remember recently commenting to my wife how Michelle is actually quite attractive, especially when she is smiling.

It just seems so often on TV she has a wicked, scornful scowl on her face that maybe some people see her as this angry woman. She has a bad habit of getting picture of her taken while she looks like Grumpy Cat.

But she has a beautiful smile.

Reminds me of this one ...

th

I'm not upset, but then again, I thought Chyna was cool back when others were like, "wtf". I thought the artist was making ref to the fact Michelle is pretty ripped for a chick. Nothing wrong with that. Takes care of herself, and he took it to the nth in a characture. Just as he did Trump's wife. Do I agree with the cartoon's message. No, because it's about as relevant to the actual issues of the day as me. And that ain't much O.O! But i'm not upset. Sorry if that makes me a problem, but honestly, I couldn't give a **** less.

It's only ok to attack a politician's family if that family is brought into politics. That's why I was fine with people mocking Cruz' attempts to manipulate his own children to portray himself as a "family man". That's why I was fine with Hillary getting attacked by Republican in the 90's when she tried to play the part of a politician and she failed spectacularly. That's why I was fine with people mocking Ann Romney: Mittens tried to claim she was his most valuable advisor.

In that regard though Michelle has kept herself out of politics. Her "Get Fit/Let's Move" excercise for children is inoffensive and apolitical. This cartoon is bad because it's attacking a politicians wife and the point it's making is vapid. But it's not racist, it's just dumb.

So then you give her a free pass for her part in the downgrading of the quality and caloric load of school lunches?

You don't see how there could be racial undertones there?

Think of all the First Ladies we've ever had. Only one is/was Black.

Is Michelle Obama truly a horrible First Lady? Has she actually done anything of substance that puts her in a league far below any other First Lady?

The cartoon is absolute nonsense and not worth being upset about, but surely you can see how there is a level of racism wrapped up in it.

"Make The First Lady Great Again" by simply removing the "ugly angry muscular manish-looking BLACK First Lady".

Which is truly silly because MO can't possibly be the First Lady ever again. She's out no matter who gets elected. (which of course I know you know)

is Melania white?

Like Trump, Garrison is pandering to the lowest lowest common denominator in our society. And even the Republicans who say over and over that they will never support trump, they'll support him, and they agree with Trump, and the implication of cartoons like this, and they too will join the lowest denominator.

There's a bulge for God's sake. Gee, no implication there. :roll:

Do you only get upset when it is directed at the left or do you have a problem when Obama and his people pander as well?

Sometimes a stupid political cartoon is nothing more than a stupid political cartoon.

If you look hard enough for something, you are bound to find it.
That's how people find "racism" and "sexism" everywhere. There looking for it, and point it out where it actually isn't.

Interesting response. I would think that a racist would see racism in the cartoon. Michelle Obama has often been praised for her bare arms and well developed arms. I assumed that was always meant as a compliment. Are you implying that you think Blacks are more muscular or athletic and whites are not? That would seem racist.

Coupled with the Yahoo headline, “If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem”, the cartoon and the article at the link below say it all.

View attachment 67201509

America is freaking out over a cartoon of Michelle Obama

Upset?? No. It's in bad taste, reflects the worst in this kind of political gamesmanship. But it reflects an attitude of division that this country is suffering from to an extreme rarely seen in recent history. It should be looked on with the same kind of national disdain as this kind of thing:
auntjemima_1.jpg

Oh wait, about half the country snickered about this one and defended it as free speech.....

I am not upset about it, but it is pretty low class. It is just Garrison being a douche. Time to shrug and move on.

What's funny is I think the OP is trying to suggest that somehow the caricatures of both are flattering. Where as I see both as massive caricatures.

The first is playing up the "manly" physical aspects of Michele Obama and the other playing up what some would call the "bimbo-y" aspects of Melania. Both are absurd cartoons, one a ridiculously masculinized version of the first lady and the other a highly sexualized version of Trumps (hour glass figure, cleavage, dress showing plenty of legs with slit in front, pointless gloves to fit in that "look", heavily makeuped, etc).

What's sad is that the author (just a guess, don't know much about him so may be wrong about this uneducated assumption) quite possibly thought the one to the right was flattering. I also find caricatures to be rather obnoxious and unappealing in general.

Given the text, I'd definitely agree with you in terms of low class and douchy. But yeah, I guess count me as "part of the problem" with you, as I don't get overly upset when stupid people make stupid political cartoons that are crass.

(edited just seeing a comment from Serenity. Completely missed the "bulge". That's taking the caricature three steps farther into crass)

If the cartoon showed her looking like an ape, then there'd be some pretty obvious racist pretext. (I recall a certain now-banned poster that, for example, used an avatar with a picture of Michelle with her lips photoshopped to remember an ape)

Is depiction of someone as "muscular and angry" (or "manly" as noted above) racist now? Was it ever?

Coupled with the Yahoo headline, “If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem”, the cartoon and the article at the link below say it all.

View attachment 67201509

America is freaking out over a cartoon of Michelle Obama

The cartoon carries an odd implication. Do Trump supporters believe they're going to have sex with Melanie Trump?

As for the rest of the thread, I don't see the cartoon as racist, just predictably juvenile.

I think the cartoon is pretty funny. Leftists always get their panties in a bunch when the humor is directed at them. Poor sports I think.

What's the "funny" part? That Michelle isn't a supermodel?

Back
Top Bottom