• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If You’re Not Upset About This Michelle Obama Cartoon, You’re Part Of The Problem

... I can't see how you can't see how there's some element of racism there. Subtle.
You are seeing what you want to see, not what is actually there.
There is no racism in the cartoon.

Just going there because I can't see how you can't see how there's some element of racism there. Subtle. She's not holding a piece of watermelon or fried chicken, but come on....look at that drawing.

It's got nothing to do with drawing Michelle as a black women. Obviously she's black. That's not the point.

It's all the other stuff in how she's drawn.

No, Dragon, I don't see racism. I see something else. He's making the point that she's masculine in appearance to him, and Mrs. Trump is feminine. If he drew Hillary Clinton to look like a masculine woman, and Donald Trump to look like a feminine man, is that racist too - against white people?

When someone draws a caricature of a black woman that's intended to be racial in undertones, it tends to look like a simian. Or even a dumb cartoon depicting a black woman as a welfare queen. This cartoon has neither element. She looks like a very masculine woman. The fact that she's black is irrelevant. She IS black. And if he simply drew her as a normal looking black woman, and Mrs. Trump as a normal looking white woman, with the "Make America Great Again" bull****, then yes - THAT would be racist. He's making a pretty clear point here, dopey as it is.

Can you show me some things that support the idea that black women are portrayed by racists as being masculine looking and appearing to have big muscles and a penis? If so, then yes, I'll agree with you. But in my 54 years, I've never seen it.

I don't think it racist perhaps a little sexist. Like because of how a woman like Michelle is built that can't be sexy while Melania is sexy and somehow that having a "more sexy" first lady would somehow make America great again. It's a low blow to appeal to shallow people who think looks make someone better, especially a "hot chick".

That may be true for some as they think the superficial barbie look is desirable. Personally, I take the gym over an overpriced plastic surgeon any day.

Just going there because I can't see how you can't see how there's some element of racism there. Subtle. She's not holding a piece of watermelon or fried chicken, but come on....look at that drawing.

It's got nothing to do with drawing Michelle as a black women. Obviously she's black. That's not the point.

It's all the other stuff in how she's drawn.

So.... you are saying there is a stereotype black women being men?

Thats news to me...

Then again, if you claim stereotypes for any and all possible scenarios, as a part of your platinum victim status, then you can claim racism at any bit of criticism on all levels I guess.

That may be true for some as they think the superficial barbie look is desirable. Personally, I take the gym over an overpriced plastic surgeon any day.

Me too. Although I will admit, I wouldn't mind having Melania's breasts. ;)

It may have racial undertones, but maybe not. I don't know for sure.

But from my perspective, I don't see this comic as racist, just a really stupid cartoon. But regardless, there's gonna be someone 'professionally outraged' by this.

It's just unnecessary and stupid. It depicts Michelle Obama as having a bulge? Seriously?

As a non American poster, it always astounds me when Americans get upset if citizens or Leaders of other Countries are critical in any way of the US or her people because I can guarantee you that there is nothing I have seen said here that even comes close to what Americans say about their own leaders and their families. The venom I see directed at Clinton, Trump, President Obama, Sarah Palin (and often their families) is simply off the planet.

Criticise their Policies by all means but the other hateful stuff is just so over the top and completely unnecessary.

It's just unnecessary and stupid. It depicts Michelle Obama as having a bulge? Seriously?

As a non American poster, it always astounds me when Americans get upset if citizens or Leaders of other Countries are critical in any way of the US or her people because I can guarantee you that there is nothing I have seen said here that even comes close to what Americans say about their own leaders and their families. The venom I see directed at Clinton, Trump, President Obama, Sarah Palin (and often their families) is simply off the planet.

Criticise their Policies by all means but the other hateful stuff is just so over the top and completely unnecessary.

And of course attacking the spouses of politicians is moronic on every level. Gee...where have we seen/heard that before most recently? Mr. Trump?
It's only slightly less ignorant than attacking the children of a politician. Perhaps that's next.

A former supervisor of mine used to complain to me a lot about her grown daughter and, as I'd sometimes be around her daughter, I saw totally what my supervisor was saying (actually they were more alike than I would ever have told her). Even so, while I'd listen to it, I'd never add to it or insult her kid because it's still her kid. I think it's also along the same lines as black people calling each other the n word, but if I were to say it, it would be a different reaction. Family members can bash each other all day, every day, but will still rally around family when attacked by someone else.

I don't think it racist perhaps a little sexist. Like because of how a woman like Michelle is built that can't be sexy while Melania is more perceived as sexy and that having a "more sexy" first lady would somehow make America great again. It's a low blow to appeal to shallow people who think looks make someone better, especially a "hot chick".

I'm not sure I've ever seen any First Lady that I'd describe as a "hot chick".

I'm not sure I've ever seen any First Lady that I'd describe as a "hot chick".
Yeah, no. I don't look at any of the First Lady's like I would a super model. Nor do I find any of them to be "hot chicks".

Ugh. I wouldn't mind having breasts. [emoji30]

Be careful what you wish for. Running with them girls is painful, finding the right sports bra is a chore, a lap suit that works is almost impossible.

Last edited:
And of course attacking the spouses of politicians is moronic on every level. Gee...where have we seen/heard that before most recently? Mr. Trump?
It's only slightly less ignorant than attacking the children of a politician. Perhaps that's next.

I doubt Serenity's making excuses for Trump. Here's the thing though, if the first lady, any first lady, uses her first lady-ness to speak out about politics, I don't think she's untouchable. When Nancy Reagan died I heard all sorts of crap about her. I've seen some not very nice things said about Barbara Bush's appearance and, just recently, saw a flat out side by side comparison of Michelle Obama to Ben Carson's wife, not to mention Cruz's children depicted as monkeys. It happens, it sucks, but my question is why is it only this big major problem when it's Michelle Obama. Why is she such a sacred cow?

I doubt Serenity's making excuses for Trump. Here's the thing though, if the first lady, any first lady, uses her first lady-ness to speak out about politics, I don't think she's untouchable. When Nancy Reagan died I heard all sorts of crap about her. I've seen some not very nice things said about Barbara Bush's appearance and, just recently, saw a flat out side by side comparison of Michelle Obama to Ben Carson's wife, not to mention Cruz's children depicted as monkeys. It happens, it sucks, but my question is why is it only this big major problem when it's Michelle Obama. Why is she such a sacred cow?

I wasn't suggesting Serenity was making excuses. Just building on what she said.

I also don't think it's a "big major problem" nor do I think it's only because it's about MO.

A thread was started, and people are commenting. That's all.

I wasn't suggesting Serenity was making excuses. Just building on what she said.

I also don't think it's a "big major problem" nor do I think it's only because it's about MO.

A thread was started, and people are commenting. That's all.

Sorry, didn't mean to unload all that on you specifically. If I could, I'd address the nimrod whose suggesting that failing to have a major problem with a political cartoon, makes someone "part of problem".

Sorry, didn't mean to unload all that on you specifically. If I could, I'd address the nimrod whose suggesting that failing to have a major problem with a political cartoon, makes someone "part of problem".

No worries. I did not take it as a personal "attack".

Just a comment. All good here. :mrgreen:

Michelle is s beautiful, intelligent woman. She is also very toned. The cartoon is exaggerating that to make her look grumpy and masculine. It is ridiculous, of course, but it isn't inherently racist. I have certainly seen racist cartoons of her, just not this one.

Only a racist would deny the racist subtext to the cartoon.

That being said, I'm not sure whether this is grounds for freaking out in a country as racist as the U.S.

There's nothing racist about the cartoon but there is a fairly strong smell of sexism in it. Depicting female "model-esk" looks as what makes America great is pretty shallow and petty, in my view. In fact, I'd say that most of the past century's American first ladies have been on the matronly or homely side of the looks scale and that has had precious little to do with America being awesome or great. But then, seems to me American media - magazines and newsprint, were quite fascinated and enamoured with the looks of Canada's new Prime Minister and his wife, so maybe shallow and petty is what rocks in today's America.

That said, the cartoon fails because it's really not that funny.

I doubt Serenity's making excuses for Trump. Here's the thing though, if the first lady, any first lady, uses her first lady-ness to speak out about politics, I don't think she's untouchable. When Nancy Reagan died I heard all sorts of crap about her. I've seen some not very nice things said about Barbara Bush's appearance and, just recently, saw a flat out side by side comparison of Michelle Obama to Ben Carson's wife, not to mention Cruz's children depicted as monkeys. It happens, it sucks, but my question is why is it only this big major problem when it's Michelle Obama.
Why is she such a sacred cow?

Now you've done it.

Sometimes, a retort is all that is necessary:
160229141817-melania-trump-anderson-cooper-sot-ac-00003411-large-169.jpg
obama638.jpg

Make America Cringe...Again

I'm not easily offended, so I find the cartoon simply tasteless. I also find that taste is a commodity with the Trump camp and its supporters.

Back
Top Bottom