• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If we legalized pot just think of all the great Prog Rock.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
My favorite music is Prog Rock which came from Psychedelic music which was strongly influenced my pot and LSD. In countries like Denmark which has liberal pot laws there is a great prog rock scene with bands like Kyak or Ayreon. We need that here. I am so sick and tired of the rap and CW **** that has taken over the US music market and I think legalized pot would cure that mess for sure.

My favorite music is Prog Rock which came from Psychedelic music which was strongly influenced my pot and LSD. In countries like Denmark which has liberal pot laws there is a great prog rock scene with bands like Kyak or Ayreon. We need that here. I am so sick and tired of the rap and CW **** that has taken over the US music market and I think legalized pot would cure that mess for sure.

Pot is the cherry on top of the cake of good prog rock. If you don't have the cake it is just a cherry.

Think about the Beatles and the Stones. You can't say weed is bad for you when you have their legacies around. Progressive rock doesn't even begin to cover it.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer psychedelic and folk.

Also, hating on rap is destructive to your argument considering that weed is a major component of rap culture.

you didn't really think that argument through did you?

Rap and Music are a contradiction of terms.

yeah it wasnt a well thought out plan

music in general might get better, MIGHT but i look at it just like i do steroids/growth hormone

yes bonds supposedly took it and hit a million home runs<sarcasm>, some say because of it but the fact of the matter is, there are probably 1000s of players in history that also took it and haven't hit 10 homeruns. lol

So what REALLY did it?
weed wont give you the skill/talent but it COULD enhance it

legalizing weed wont magically make new bands like the Beatles, doors, stones etc or rappers like snoop, biggie, 2pac but it might help the future ones. . . . .maybe

Weed is fun, but when it comes to art, it's a crutch for people who don't trust their own imaginations. Indeed, all drugs are. There are more than enough imaginative artists who are stone sober to prove that drugs are unnecessary to create great art.

Weed is fun, but when it comes to art, it's a crutch for people who don't trust their own imaginations. Indeed, all drugs are. There are more than enough imaginative artists who are stone sober to prove that drugs are unnecessary to create great art.

The same could be said about the paint brush.

Here you go again. Come on dude, enough is enough. Make a thread about something other then pot, PLEASE.

Pot is the cherry on top of the cake of good prog rock. If you don't have the cake it is just a cherry.

Prog rock is the best rock. It has the very best musicians like Rick Wakeman,Kieth Emerson,Robert Fripp,Steve Howe,Bill Bruford and Chris Squire. Prog rock was hated by the simple minded punk rock idiots because it was so hard to play. That is why Sid Vicious had I hate Pink Floyd or I hate Yes tee shirts. Pot does help to make great rock music. Just look at the Beatles Hard Days Night compared to Help,Rubber Soul or Revolver. It was pot that made for the big improvment. Dylan turned them on to pot in 1965 and the rest is history.

Here you go again. Come on dude, enough is enough. Make a thread about something other then pot, PLEASE.

Stop complaining. I write about many other things my friend and there is nothing wrong with writing about pot. Many people love to debate it pro or con so what is your major malfuntion trooper. Until pot is legal everywhere and the injustice ends I will keep talking about it.

Think about the Beatles and the Stones. You can't say weed is bad for you when you have their legacies around. Progressive rock doesn't even begin to cover it.

Prog rock is the best and most creative rock music there is. It is also the most complex and the hardest to play and pot is the driving force behind prog/pchyedelic rock along with LSD.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer psychedelic and folk.

Also, hating on rap is destructive to your argument considering that weed is a major component of rap culture.

But Rap is the worst music in the history of mankind my friend. I agree rappers have done alot to help the cause and I thank them for that. Too bad their music is ****.

Weed drove rock into the stratasphere. It went from "Baby I love you" to "The Great Gig in the Sky" and that my friend is a great thing.

Yes I did. Art and music benifit from pot and that is the bottom line. Just look at J.R. Tolkins The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. In my opinion the best novels ever written in the English tounge and they where never popular until the counter culture embraced them in the 60's. Pot does benifit and help art of that there is no doubt.

James has a point, I can think of no artist that made excellent albums in their drug days that has put out anything worth a squirt of piss after going clean.

James has a point, I can think of no artist that made excellent albums in their drug days that has put out anything worth a squirt of piss after going clean.

Even the great Allman Brothers have gone to crap after they went striaght. Aerosmith is now horrible and I wish someone would slip them hash brownies befor they went into the studio. Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson claimes he never did drugs himself but his bandmembers did and they did make great music.

But Rap is the worst music in the history of mankind my friend. I agree rappers have done alot to help the cause and I thank them for that. Too bad their music is ****.

i disagree. it's the descendant of talking blues, fused with electronic music and sampling. it's actually quite creative, and some of the poetry is intricate and clever.

Why does talking about pot bother you so much? I have wrote about many other things and you know it. Stop whinning like a baby. Don't you like talking about pot? Then don't debate it.

i disagree. it's the descendant of talking blues, fused with electronic music and sampling. it's actually quite creative, and some of the poetry is intricate and clever.

But it is nothing compared to Prog Rock or any other musician friendly rock music. I agree some of the lyrics can be clever but so was Folk music and they played real instruments not drum machines.

But it is nothing compared to Prog Rock or any other musician friendly rock music. I agree some of the lyrics can be clever but so was Folk music and they played real instruments not drum machines.

you're confusing your own opinion with fact.

i prefer folk / Motown / blues / and other genres to modern rap, sure, but some of it is awesome, and my opinion is my opinion.

you're confusing your own opinion with fact.

i prefer folk / Motown / blues / and other genres to modern rap, sure, but some of it is awesome, and my opinion is my opinion.

Vocals are a matter of opinion but musicianship is not. Listen to Rush's 2112 or Yes Close to the Edge and tell me motown can match that kind of musicianship. It can't because it is so vocally oriented while prog is musician oriented.

Back
Top Bottom