• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If we incent people to buy electric cars won't that free up more gas?

Yes, reduced demand will lower the price of gas, which makes it much harder to get people to switch to electric.

Yeh, I'm a few years

Yes, it will help.

My questions would be: how much is a common EV, can the average American afford one and what are the limitations of it (e.g. long road trips)?

Yes, reduced demand will lower the price of gas, which makes it much harder to get people to switch to electric.
1646961971067.png

I'm not sure a gallon of gas is capable of getting cheaper than the equivalent EV costs without the rate of profit for oil companies dropping into the negatives. How many cents do you think your car burns per mile? Eight? Ten? Maybe more, depending on how old your car is.

Federal Tax Credits for New All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles​

Photo of cash and keys

Federal Tax Credit Up To $7,500!​

All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars purchased new in or after 2010 may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. The credit amount will vary based on the capacity of the battery used to power the vehicle. State and/or local incentives may also apply.

Small neighborhood electric vehicles do not qualify for this credit, but they may qualify for another credit.

I'm not sure a gallon of gas is capable of getting cheaper than the equivalent EV costs without the rate of profit for oil companies dropping into the negatives. How many cents do you think your car burns per mile? Eight? Ten? Maybe more, depending on how old your car is.

The problem is fuel isn't the only cost. To get those fuel savings you have to buy an expensive electric vehicle.

I've been largely gasoline free, the occasional rental aside, for about 6 years now.

I don't really pay so much attention to gas prices any longer.

That said, I don't drive EVs for environmental or gasoline-avoidance reasons; those are merely icing on the cake and near the bottom of the list of reasons to own an EV.

It worked for me and I have not been to a gas station in two years.
They are already selling EV's as fast as they can make them. It will take time to ramp up production.

My questions would be: how much is a common EV, can the average American afford one and what are the limitations of it (e.g. long road trips)?
I have had one for 4 years. Plug it into 110 in my garage. If you drive only 50 miles a day it is almost free.

Colbalt from China
Charging stations
Limited distance
Cost/fixing
Where does the power/electricity come from again?

I'd support Big Gummint subsidies to buy electric cars.

Actually an EV would work well for me.
I was waiting for battery technology to progress a little more. If the Universe wills it that I still be around I'll have an EV within a few more years.

Assuming an infinite supply of EVs that may happen.

The problem is fuel isn't the only cost. To get those fuel savings you have to buy an expensive electric vehicle.
Fair. Google says that the average price of an EV is just a little more than 10k above the average gasoline vehicle, but the low end EVs like a Nissan Leaf are in the low 20k. If you don't mind a used car, 11 or 12 grand is perfectly possible. I think we're well within the point where an EV is saving you money in the long run, what's probably holding them back is more infrastructure and preexisting car payments. If you ask me, at least.

If too many start buying too soon the power grid can ot handle it. It will take decades to transition.

Creating more problems to solve problems.

This doesn’t make any sense.

Colbalt from China
Charging stations
Limited distance
Cost/fixing
Where does the power/electricity come from again?
If too many start buying too soon the power grid can ot handle it. It will take decades to transition.
I really wish people would do some simple math to understand the true nature of this "power grid" problem.

Electrifying the ENTIRE US automotive fleet would increase our aggregate demand by about 10%. If we can't do that over a few "decades" then we have bigger problems to deal with than electrification.

Creating more problems to solve problems.

This doesn’t make any sense.
Yes, that's because you don't understand the benefits of electrification, such as crash safety, packaging, NVH, expanded use cases due to the presence of a high current bus, improved reliability and lower maintenance, and on and on and on. Since you only see the problems of an emergent technology, and presumably choose to ignore trying to understand what problems are actually getting solved, this will be another new technology that likely will pass you by. That's fine with me, more EV supply for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom