• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If we incent people to buy electric cars won't that free up more gas?

An electric car, across Canada in the winter? How many days/weeks?

Sounds practical.
You need to reply to my post. Look on the bottom right for the 'reply' button. If you click on that and type your reply into that box and hit 'Post reply' I'll be notified that you replied to me the same way you were notified of this reply.
How long does it take to drive nearly 6,000 miles? Never done it, what's your guess?

Edit- "A Vancouver man says he has set a record for the fastest drive of the entire Trans Canada Highway in an electric car.
Harvey Soicher, 68, and co-driver Kent Rathwell took the 7,000 kilometre-plus journey from St. John's to Victoria in four days and 19 hours, which included taking ferries and charging up his vehicle."

Last edited:
An electric car, across Canada in the winter? How many days/weeks?

You can drive an EV any distance, sure. What about time? Terrain? Weather?

Doesn’t sound practical.
You can always find the exception that breaks the rule. The average car is driven 30 miles a day and could be charged at home. Cars can be rented for long trips. It would save the average family a lot of money.

My experience. I have driven an electric car for the last four years. A Nissan leaf that cost $24000 dollars after incentives. Plug it in 110 ac to charge overnight at off hour rates. And I don't drive my 2016 Cad CTS anymore because the leaf is much more fun.
As more people plug in at night there will be an increased demand, those off hour rates will disappear as all hours will require the demand.

Yeah, cars can never replace horses. Who wants to have to buy fuel in cans at the hardware, and have to find a smith who can repair them?
Yeah. Can you imagine all these gasoline car owners limiting themselves to only go where some paved government road will let them go, instead of giving up these crazy automothingies for a good old fashioned horse that'll jump obstacles, traverse narrow passages and dense forests, and basically go anywhere we need? It's a wonder anyone chooses to buy this car thing.

Comparing horses to cars and EV to gas is not the same thing as I stated.

Save money (if you really believe that) = good
Cost/time/practicality = bad

As more people plug in at night there will be an increased demand, those off hour rates will disappear as all hours will require the demand.
Yes we have to improve the grid. House hold solar will help some. The great gain is when we use EV as storage to charge and give back at peak. This will allow peak generation to greatly enhance the grid.

It worked for me and I have not been to a gas station in two years.
What are you going to do, give them away for free? Not everyone can afford and electric or hybrid car, they are more expensive you know.

BTW, after everyone is driving electric cars, where will states like get their huge revenues from if people are paying a big tax on gasoline? Will incentives cover that huge loss of revenue? Legislatures in libtard states will have to raise other taxes on everyone, and there will be NO incentives for those electric cars at that point.

Gasoline cars have been cheaper than electric cars--- when we were producing more fuel. Besides, I live in California, and I know many people here like electric cars, but our power gird is not exactly secure here, not with the wildfires and them shutting power off during high winds. You can't drive an electric car if you can't charge it. Add to the idiocy our state will be banning the sale of emergency gas generators next year. Stupid.

Cars replacing cars does not equal cars replacing horses.

So cars can go farther than horses
EV cars can’t go as far as gas cars

So are we going backwards?
No Mr. IQ of 57, EVs do a great many things that gasoline cars cannot.

You know, kind of how a smart phone does many things a flip phone doesn't even though no smart phone has the battery life ("range") of a flip phone.

I imagine you really prefer your flip phone though, eh?

What are you going to do, give them away for free? Not everyone can afford and electric or hybrid car, they are more expensive you know.

BTW, after everyone is driving electric cars, where will states like get their huge revenues from if people are paying a big tax on gasoline? Will incentives cover that huge loss of revenue? Legislatures in libtard states will have to raise other taxes on everyone, and there will be NO incentives for those electric cars at that point.

Gasoline cars have been cheaper than electric cars--- when we were producing more fuel. Besides, I live in California, and I know many people here like electric cars, but our power gird is not exactly secure here, not with the wildfires and them shutting power off during high winds. You can't drive an electric car if you can't charge it. Add to the idiocy our state will be banning the sale of emergency gas generators next year. Stupid.
There is nothing that will work in your world view. Be positive.

There is nothing that will work in your world view. Be positive.
I'm personally fine with it. EVs are in ridiculous demand right now and are amazing in so many ways. I'm perfectly content with some posters going on with their lives ranting and raving about all the terrible things about EVs. These were the same people who bemoaned the typewriter when you could use a pen, then bemoaned the computer/word processor when you could use a typewriter, bemoaned the microwave oven when you could use a stove, whined about digital TV when they had their UHF and VHF, ranted about CDs and MP3s while clutching their 8-tracks, and complained about smart phones while gently fondling the flip phones in their pocket. It's fine. Let them stick to combustion cars right up until the point that no one is even selling them any longer. It just makes it that much easier for everyone else to enjoy the benefit.

Some people adopt early technologies when they aren't ready. Some people adopt new technologies once they've passed initial teething issues and add rather than subtract net value to their lives. And, sadly, some resist change until the very end, casting dispersions against the New as their first and only instinct. The latter are not worth convincing.

Yes, reduced demand will lower the price of gas, which makes it much harder to get people to switch to electric.
Thank god for the occasional war that causes a paradigm shift.

Projection with inadequate comparison doesn’t justify how EV fall short in many departments and being forced upon people really won’t make that any better of a case.

Projection with inadequate comparison doesn’t justify how EV fall short in many departments and being forced upon people really won’t make that any better of a case.
Do a little reading.

Yes we have to improve the grid. House hold solar will help some. The great gain is when we use EV as storage to charge and give back at peak. This will allow peak generation to greatly enhance the grid.
Those are all good points however I still believe we are a decade away from seeing those start to be implemented.

You should not get an EV. Definitely do not get an EV. They are not for you. They are expensive and terrible and unsafe and they might irradiate your most precious bits. You are right and everyone else is wrong and I am glad we can now conclude that you should not and will not get an EV.

Those are all good points however I still believe we are a decade away from seeing those start to be implemented.
I agree. I think we're at the very early stage of this working. Tesla started a VPP program around here and some people just started getting their first checks for selling into the grid, so it's cool to see this starting to build up, but there are a ton of regulatory hassles, and compounding that are no shortage of codes and communities that make this difficult. (We have a family home in the midwest that I can't put rooftop solar on because the HOA is scared of the precedent.) So I would agree that it will take a solid decade before the ball really starts rolling on home solar.

That said, if you live in a southern, sunny state, the economics are looking pretty dang good now.

What happens in a decade is starting today. And it is already implemented and being deployed.

What happens in a decade is starting today. And it is already implemented and being deployed.
Again that’s why if a EV is feasible then people should look into one. For me they are still just not worth it, the battery life and distances between charges would need to double before I would consider one.

Again that’s why if a EV is feasible then people should look into one. For me they are still just not worth it, the battery life and distances between charges would need to double before I would consider one.
I think this is a fine attitude. People should check every couple of years since things are changing rapidly. But, this is also a 20 year transition that we're maybe ~5 years into, so while the equation will pencil out for more and more people over time, some will want to wait longer than others and I would not try arm-twisting them into adopting something before it makes sense.

I think we'll see critical mass in terms of cost/range/charge infrastructure in about 3 years.

Because you commute 200 miles everyday?

Yes, reduced demand will lower the price of gas, which makes it much harder to get people to switch to electric.
Which is why the free market can't solve this problem and you need regulations to increase fuel efficiency to the point where car companies just stop making the stupid gas guzzlers.

Because you commute 200 miles everyday?
I am a huge advocate of EVs but I don't think this helps; there are plenty of use cases where range is an issue without needing a 200 mile daily commute. For example, the ~20% of Americans living in multiuser dwellings avoid EVs with a daily commute of 50 miles due to charging challenges. Someone with a 75 mile round trip commute is going to struggle with EVs in many of the northern states during winter. There are plenty of not-so-edge cases. I'd say EVs pencil out for maybe 30% of the population at the moment. That percentage should grow with each passing year.

Go to work, charge

Go, home charge

Go no where else. Goodbye freedoms.

Just embrace it whole heartedly? No questions asked. It’s hip, it’s new. You need one. They are the best, just because, look at these things man, everyone loves them, everyone wants one. Maybe the things I read are a lot different, who knows.

I am a huge advocate of EVs but I don't think this helps; there are plenty of use cases where range is an issue without needing a 200 mile daily commute. For example, the ~20% of Americans living in multiuser dwellings avoid EVs with a daily commute of 50 miles due to charging challenges. Someone with a 75 mile round trip commute is going to struggle with EVs in many of the northern states during winter. There are plenty of not-so-edge cases. I'd say EVs pencil out for maybe 30% of the population at the moment. That percentage should grow with each passing year.
Federal Highway Administration data from 2019 indicates motorists in the U.S. drive an average of 39 miles per day.

Back
Top Bottom