• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Trump were in office for a 2nd term now, would prices at the pump still be as high as they are now with Biden in office?

If Trump were in office now for a 2nd term, gasoline prices would be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
However the Saudis and for that matter, the rest of OPEC do participate in capitalism as far as the global market goes. We have the same power to affect oil prices as they do if we just use it. Instead, our moron in the White House is begging Venezuela and Iran to produce more and bail him out politically.
Yes but the Saudi Governmemt decides how much and at what price. Right now US drillers are saying they aren't going to drill. Maybe you think that the government should use the DPA to force them? They could increase production right now, the market is hot, but they dont want to and unless you want to force them to...it is their call.

Good point about inflation, that would have still pushed up prices regardless of what else was going on in the oil industry. The supply chain issues aren't helping at all, at all! But I'll stick with my "Lower" vote, just because of how a second Trump term would be more favorable to the oil industry.
There has been no devaluation of the dollar and this "inflation" is worldwide. Inflation is defined as too much money chasing too few goods. That describes the situation now and the too few goods is because of covid. The increased price of oil is because of a concerted effort to control production worldwide to recoup the profits lost due to covid. The invasion of Ukraine has made the shortages of oil even worse of course.

But hold on..... Don't you blame the virus on Biden?
No, I don't blame the virus on Dementia Joe Biden. I blame it on a likely lab leak in Wuhan, China
You believe if Biden would of put more funding into developing therapeutics (therapeutics we already have) , we wouldn't be in this awful predicament, correct?
What predicament are we in? The virus is now in the endemic stage. Vaccines can still be helpful, however we need more advanced therapeutics for those who still get infected. It's not all about vaccines. Vaccines are meant to hopefully prevent you from getting the virus. We need better means to treat it if you get infected and become seriously ill with it. Biden could have gained considerable political capital if he had picked up where Trump left off rather then wasting time with attempted vaccine mandates.
Doesn't your screen name mean "f**k you Biden"?
Considering your screen name, I'll take your angst over mine with a grain of salt.

Must we always think of that Trump person?
Must we always ask if things were better or worse with that Trump person?
Can't we forget about him at last?

Germans should know a thing or two about never forgetting history.

No, I don't blame the virus on Dementia Joe Biden. I blame it on a likely lab leak in Wuhan, China
I'm beginning to see a pattern here. None of your "opinions" can be supported by viable evidence. Your just parroting alt-right MSM propaganda. All speculation.... No actual proof.

What predicament are we in?
You tell me. Your the one who said:"Biden should be doing something similar with therapeutics (as in develope new therapeutics) to fight Covid." do you now feel Biden doesn't need to develop new therapeutics? Why the flip flopping?
Considering your screen name, I'll take your angst over mine with a grain of salt.
If my screen name was "f**k you Donald", would you expect me to be open minded about Donald's policies? Not to worry..... Anytime you get confused, I'm here to help.

Since the US only got about 2% of oil from Russian it has little to nothing with Russian oil imports.
The price of gas was on the raise before the Russian invasion because of the barriers Biden placed on US oil companies and as was inflation.
The Saudi king stub Biden when Biden ask them to increase their oil supply to the US. Do you think Iran or Venezuela will sell cheap oil to the US? Those countries like a $130 a barrel oil for reason I am sure you already know.
As long as Russian can sell their oil to the EU, Turkey or China it will have little effect on Putin's war machine.
Bullshit ....If it were not a big deal maybe you would like to explain why this pathetic Biden administration went to Russia looking for oil to help replace what his greenie weenie policies from day one hindered the production in this country. And now because of what has transpired with Ukraine is begging despots like the leader of Venezuela and Iran for them to pickup the load. And earlier they tried to get OPEC to increase production but they pretty much told them to go pound sand because of them cozying up to Iran again. Our president and his administration would rather cozy up to despots for oil than to unleash the potential our country has to help not just this country but the entire world providing cleaner crude, cleaner natural gas that could flood the world market and bring energy prices down for everyone. Another Let's go Brandon moment. It is disgusting.

No one is against alternate forms of energy. But this is not the way to do it.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. None of your "opinions" can be supported by viable evidence. Your just parroting alt-right MSM propaganda. All speculation.... No actual proof.

You tell me. Your the one who said:"Biden should be doing something similar with therapeutics to fight Covid." do you now feel Biden doesn't need to develop new therapeutics? Why the flip flopping?

If my screen name was "f**k you Donald", would you expect me to be open minded about Donald's policies? Not to worry..... Anytime you get confused, I'm here to help.

You have to admire the audacity of righties.

If trump had won the election, he'd be serving his second and final term, with no accountability of running in another presidential election. He would have let Putin walk right into Ukraine with no sanctions, no consequences.

He just might have pulled out of NATO.

And these righties have the nerve to blame Biden for the global rise in gas prices. :LOL:

Yes but the Saudi Governmemt decides how much and at what price.
And we could be doing the same.
Right now US drillers are saying they aren't going to drill. Maybe you think that the government should use the DPA to force them? They could increase production right now, the market is hot, but they dont want to and unless you want to force them to...it is their call.
You have no understanding whatsoever how the oil industry in a free country works. Production is not as simple as just turning on a spigot and producing oil. It's risk versus investment. It takes roughly 6 million dollars to get just one oil well online Not everywhere they have permits will produce oil. When the government is effectively waging war against the oil industry, the oil companies are going to take much less risk. Biden cancelled the Keystone Pipeline on day one and soon after paused any new drilling leases on federal lands. That is sending a very negative signal to the oil companies. They are only going to risk their financial capital if they think it will be profitable. Trump supported the oil industry and by 2019 we were energy independent. Biden has been in office one year and we are back to begging others to produce more oil.

Bullshit ....If it were not a big deal maybe you would like to explain why this pathetic Biden administration went to Russia looking for oil to help replace what his greenie weenie policies from day one hindered the production in this country. And now because of what has transpired with Ukraine is begging despots like the leader of Venezuela and Iran for them to pickup the load. And earlier they tried to get OPEC to increase production but they pretty much told them to go pound sand because of them cozying up to Iran again. Our president and his administration would rather cozy up to despots for oil than to unleash the potential our country has to help not just this country but the entire world providing cleaner crude, cleaner natural gas that could flood the world market and bring energy prices down for everyone. Another Let's go Brandon moment. It is disgusting.

Are you sure? All I hear from righties is "drill baby drill," as if oil companies could just turn on the spigot overnight.

And we could be doing the same.

You have no understanding whatsoever how the oil industry in a free country works. Production is not as simple as just turning on a spigot and producing oil. It's risk versus investment. It takes roughly 6 million dollars to get just one oil well online Not everywhere they have permits will produce oil. When the government is effectively waging war against the oil industry, the oil companies are going to take much less risk. Biden cancelled the Keystone Pipeline on day one and soon after paused any new drilling leases on federal lands. That is sending a very negative signal to the oil companies. They are only going to risk their financial capital if they think it will be profitable. Trump supported the oil industry and by 2019 we were energy independent. Biden has been in office one year and we are back to begging others to produce more oil.
Don't trust my word for it. Soend 5 minutes and the oil execs themselves will tell you.

I'd like to see you support your moronic unsubstantiated allegations with verifiable proof. I see that every maga miscreant here on DP loves to parrot alt-right MSM propaganda, but fails miserably at substantiating their claims with viable proof. Trying to sell gossip as gospel. How pathetic.

I'd like to see you support your moronic unsubstantiated allegations with verifiable proof. I see that every maga miscreant here on DP loves to parrot alt-right MSM propaganda, but fails miserably at substantiating their claims with viable proof. Trying to sell gossip as gospel. How pathetic.
Nothing coherent enough in that rant to warrant a detailed response.

Are you sure? All I hear from righties is "drill baby drill," as if oil companies could just turn on the spigot overnight.
What you hear not from just Republicans but Independents and some Democrats who are not beholden to the globalist greenie weenies is for the Biden administration to get the heck out of the way and let this country provide what we are capable of doing.

What you hear not from just Republicans but Independents and some Democrats who are not beholden to the globalist

"Globalist" is sometimes used as antisemitic hate speech. Check yourself.

greenie weenies is for the Biden administration to get the heck out of the way and let this country provide what we are capable of doing.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. It sounds like you got it from Fox "News."

What predicament are we in? The virus is now in the endemic stage. Vaccines can still be helpful, however we need more advanced therapeutics for those who still get infected. It's not all about vaccines. Vaccines are meant to hopefully prevent you from getting the virus. We need better means to treat it if you get infected and become seriously ill with it. Biden could have gained considerable political capital if he had picked up where Trump left off rather then wasting time with attempted vaccine mandates.

I agree totally. We've needed an operation warp speed for therapeutics, but Biden refused to waiver from his 2-prong approach, of vaccines and masking. When is the last time you heard "paxlovid"? It would appear that Biden chose to penalize those who did not choose to vax, not only by using his power to have them fired from their jobs, but also by refusing to push therapeutics that could have, and would have, lowered hospitalizations and deaths. The only path in Biden's regime is through vaccination.
I'll never believe this was not intentional.
Had Trump continued to be President, I believe he would have once again, harnessed the private sector and removed obstacles to affect timely treatments, which could have prevented a lot of death.

What I don't trust is your obvious ignorance regarding the oil industry and how much profit is made on a gallon of gas.
At no point have I even mentioned the profit they make. Quite frankly it is not germane to the current situation. They are simply deciding to invest their profits in buybacks not expanded production.

It is always evident when a poster runs out of talking points. They revert to insults
Have a lovely evening.

Its interesting how Trump has degraded the political conversation in our society. The discussion is based on personalities, not policies.

The suggestion is that by the pwoer of the his personality, Trump might make gas prices lower. That suggests a cult-like devotion.

The better, more effective question is, what policies would make gas prices lower?
Coming from you and the horde of leftists on this site, that's ****ing hilarious. You 'people' have for 6 years now done nothing but shit yourselves over personalities, exposing your own while you bitch about Trumps.

Trumps POLICIES led to energy independence, net energy exportation, seriously reduced illegal immigration, correcting trade imbalances, record lows in unemployment in the minority sectors, etc...while you people shit yourselves over mean tweets. meanwhile, with the rat you voted in to office you have spent the last year championing Marxism and racial hatred and separation, illegal immigration, destroying the nations energy production, impotent foreign policy, and cheered on as your party attempted to press deviant sexual behaviors on kindergartners.

I agree totally. We've needed an operation warp speed for therapeutics, but Biden refused to waiver from his 2-prong approach, of vaccines and masking. When is the last time you heard "paxlovid"? It would appear that Biden chose to penalize those who did not choose to vax, not only by using his power to have them fired from their jobs, but also by refusing to push therapeutics that could have, and would have, lowered hospitalizations and deaths. The only path in Biden's regime is through vaccination.
I'll never believe this was not intentional.
Had Trump continued to be President, I believe he would have once again, harnessed the private sector and removed obstacles to affect timely treatments, which could have prevented a lot of death.
Exactly. Biden has made no real effort other then pushing vaccine and mask mandates, which are oddly melting away the closer we get to the November midterms. Most Americans have accepted that the virus will be sticking around at some level indefinitely and the vaccines will be at some level hit and miss just like the flu vaccines. It's time for an operation warp speed effort at therapeutics.

At no point have I even mentioned the profit they make. Quite frankly it is not germane to the current situation. They are simply deciding to invest their profits in buybacks not expanded production.

It is always evident when a poster runs out of talking points. They revert to insults
Have a lovely evening.
Yawn......

You have no understanding whatsoever how the oil industry in a free country works.
Oh the irony.

. When the government is effectively waging war against the oil industry, the oil companies are going to take much less risk.
Again, your parroting unsubstantiated alt-right MSM propaganda. Can you produce any verifiable data that supports this claim?

. Biden cancelled the Keystone Pipeline on day one

Keystone Pipeline would of transported Canadian crude to the gulf coast where most of the refined product would of been shipped overseas having very little affect on u.s. petrol prices.

. Trump supported the oil industry and by 2019 we were energy independent. Biden has been in office one year and we are back to begging others to produce more oil.

Here you show your lack of understanding on what energy Independence actually means. First, one needs to to add up all of our energy production (oil, natural gas, coal, renewables) and then subtract our net energy consumption. The U.S. is a net exporter of coal and natural gas, so it really comes down to the petroleum balance.
U.S. net imports have been declining since 2005 as a result of hydraulic fracturing. That year, U.S. net imports of petroleum and petroleum products (e.g., gasoline, diesel, jet fuel) averaged 12.5 million barrels per day (BPD). By the time President Obama left office, the number had declined to 4.8 million BPD . During Obama’s last full month in office, the number was 4.2 million BPD. When donald took over, the downward trend continued. During donalds last year in office, the net import number turned negative. It is therefore true that we gained energy independence (per this definition of net imports) under donald. Net exports in 2020 averaged 635,000 BPD for the year.
However, when the Covid-19 pandemic resulted in widespread stay-at-home orders, U.S. energy demand and energy production both plummeted. For the first four months of 2020, net exports averaged one million BPD. But then by May we had to start importing again. In May and June the U.S. imported three quarters of a million BPD. In the second half of the year, net imports once again became net exports. For the full year of 2020, the U.S. became a net exporter for the first time in modern history.

In 2021, we oscillated between net imports and net exports on a month-to-month basis. In certain months, we were net importers (and hence, lost our “energy independence” per that definition). In other months, we were a significant net exporter.

What wasn’t clear was whether the U.S. would be a net exporter for the entire year of 2021. But the Energy Information Administration recently posted the numbers for December, and we now have an answer. Net exports grew each month from September through December to push the final average for the year to a net export number of 162,000 BPD. That is significantly down from 2020, but it is still energy independent according to the net export definition.
In 2021, we oscillated between net imports and net exports on a month-to-month basis. In certain months, we were net importers (and hence, lost our “energy independence” per that definition). In other months, we were a significant net exporter.

☝️This.

It's a matter of basic economics. With energy independence, our demand for foreign energy goes down, meaning prices go down.
Are you suggesting that the major oil producers would cut pricing to sell oil to the US, and give up the profits to be made on the open market?
I know 12 year olds with a better understanding of business and economics than this.

Are you suggesting that the major oil producers would cut pricing to sell oil to the US, and give up the profits to be made on the open market?
I know 12 year olds with a better understanding of business and economics than this.
It's you that clearly lacks understanding. Do the math. If any major producer ups production, it approaches a glut on the global market and the price comes down,

Back
Top Bottom