• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Trump Really Won in 2020, Can He Legally Be Elected a Third Time in 2024?

Emily L

Don't leave the toilet seat up, please, HAL.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
I mean, the Constitution says you can be elected only twice.

So, if Trump runs in 2024, wouldn't he be acknowledging that he lost the 2020 election?

And if Biden claims that Trump can't be elected a third time, wouldn't Biden be acknowledging that Trump won in 2020?

It looks like either side could use that argument against the other. Or does any of this make sense?

Trump can be elected again because he has not been elected twice. No court would claim otherwise since Trump is not currently sitting in the White House.

Trump can be elected again because he has not been elected twice. No court would claim otherwise since Trump is not currently sitting in the White House.
The question is whether Trump will continue to claim otherwise (and tacitly declare that the Constitution simply doesn't apply to him), or acknowledge that he is eligible because he hasn't been elected twice and has simply been lying all this time.

The question is whether Trump will continue to claim otherwise (and tacitly declare that the Constitution simply doesn't apply to him), or acknowledge that he is eligible because he hasn't been elected twice and has simply been lying all this time.
Trump has never had any problem with doublethink. He'll simply continue believing he has been elected twice and that he can still be elected because he hasn't been elected twice. Trump isn't exactly known for his consistency.

Trump was not inaugurated to office twice. That much is indisputable.

So, if Trump runs in 2024, wouldn't he be acknowledging that he lost the 2020 election?

The only thing Trump will be bound to is the exact, enforceable letter of the law, not any notion of intellectual honesty.

And if Biden claims that Trump can't be elected a third time, wouldn't Biden be acknowledging that Trump won in 2020?

I'm not following this.

It looks like either side could use that argument against the other. Or does any of this make sense?

Sorry, not really.

Yes, Mithrae--that's what I mean! It puts Trump in kind of a weird, self-contradictory position. Or it seems to.

Trump has never had any problem with doublethink. He'll simply continue believing he has been elected twice and that he can still be elected because he hasn't been elected twice. Trump isn't exactly known for his consistency.

:) Well put, Gatsby.

Trump was not inaugurated to office twice. That much is indisputable.

Yes, Dex, but the catch is that the Constitution says "elected"--not "inaugurated." That's the rub.

Last edited:
I'm not following this.

You see, Biden can't use that Constitutional limit argument against Trump without inadvertently acknowledging that Trump won the 2020 election.

(Yes, it's weird. :) )

The yankee crook is the alpha to the betas who need a master.

He can do whatever he wants.

You see, Biden can't use that Constitutional limit argument against Trump without inadvertently acknowledging that Trump won the 2020 election.

(Yes, it's weird. :) )
No, you can run for President infinity times. You just can't be President more than twice.

No, you can run for President infinity times. You just can't be President more than twice.

The way I understand it, Cardinal, is that you can actually be president more than twice.

For example, if the president dies, and the vice president becomes president, then he can actually run for president two times and thereby serve an additional eight years. Lyndon Johnson was in that position when JFK died. Johnson was then elected in 1964, but declined to run again in 1968.

It does, however, depend on how much of the dead president's term a vice president fills out. I think if a v.p. serves as president more than two years, then he might not be able to be elected more than one time. But I'm not sure about that.

You're right. get Biden out right now and install the rightful winner!

The way I understand it, Cardinal, is that you can actually be president more than twice.

For example, if the president dies, and the vice president becomes president, then he can actually run for president two times and thereby serve an additional eight years. Lyndon Johnson was in that position when JFK died. Johnson was then elected in 1964, but declined to run again in 1968.

It does, however, depend on how much of the dead president's term a vice president fills out. I think if a v.p. serves as president more than two years, then he might not be able to be elected more than one time. But I'm not sure about that.

Well, it is what the 22nd amendment says.

You're right. get Biden out right now and install the rightful winner!
So many people want Kamala Harris to be President.

Well, if you must...

This is good nonsense.

But at least it's good. :)

But really, I wonder if Trump realizes that he shouldn't be claiming victory in 2020, since it might make him ineligible in 2024.

Or does any of this make sense?
The big boys and girls in D.C. have decided that Candidate Biden won the "most secure election in American history."

So the case is closed.

Therefore, The Donald would be running for a second term.

If it were ever proved in the future that substantial rigging in 2020 denied a second term to The Donald, this news might have to be kept a secret for the good of the nation. If such a bombshell were revealed in, say, the next ten or fifteen years, it might cause great civil unrest, not to mention ridicule from other nations. But if it were revealed far in the future, the reaction would be "Donald who?"

But at least it's good. :)

But really, I wonder if Trump realizes that he shouldn't be claiming victory in 2020, since it might make him ineligible in 2024.

Minutiae regarding Presidential terms is fun. It's fun, I say! I'm a nerd! Weeeeee!

If it were ever proved in the future that substantial rigging in 2020 denied a second term to The Donald, this news might have to be kept a secret for the good of the nation. If such a bombshell were revealed in, say, the next ten or fifteen years, it might cause great civil unrest, not to mention ridicule from other nations. But if it were revealed far in the future, the reaction would be "Donald who?"

That's very astute, Parser--if I'm using "astute" correctly and spelling it right. ( :) )

Back
Top Bottom