• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If trump declares martial law.

Pedestrian

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law) a decision that is entirely within his discretion, more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power.

For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Do you want and do you see the military accept this ? Even the Roman senate early on, had to remind Caesar that he needed the army.

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law. Guess what ? They don't have to.

Last edited:
The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law) a decision that is entirely within his discretion, more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power.

For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Do you want and do you see the military accept this ? Even the Roman senate early on, had to remind Caesar that he needed the army.

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law. Guess what ? They don't have to.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I thought that, for the most part, they had to go along with whatever the CiC told them to do.

I won't say that I am not concerned about this. I am concerned about a lot of things, including a National Emergency to build an ego wall, and Eminent Domain to take away the land to build it on. The entire wall, if it is ever built, should be called Trump's Folly.

I’m all for it. While he’s at it he needs to tell all the ones here already that don’t belong to either drive down there and go back where they came from, fly back on their own ticket, or he will collect them at their housing.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I thought that, for the most part, they had to go along with whatever the CiC told them to do.

I won't say that I am not concerned about this. I am concerned about a lot of things, including a National Emergency to build an ego wall, and Eminent Domain to take away the land to build it on. The entire wall, if it is ever built, should be called Trump's Folly.

Shades of Seward’s folly?

I posted this same thing the other day, not sure if it was here or another forum. Trump isn't going to do anything, he doesn't have support for that type of action, it's unconstitutional and there may be some Republicans still with enough spine to tell him to chill and shut up. But as I said in my post, my son lives in S. America, that's how much he hates Trump and he has said for two years that Trump will call a national emergency and cancel the 2020 elections. That sounded too far-fetched to believe at that time but now not so out of the realm of possibilities.

Trump is melting down but he's pretty much constrained as to how far he can go legally. If he was smart he'd let time run out on the five year statute of limitations on some of the crimes he knows he's guilty of. If he's impeached now, he'll be up on charges in the NY courts in a heartbeat once he's out and before the statute of limitations expires.

I hope people realize what a vulnerable position the U.S. is in right now.

Last edited:

I bet you a buck - he is this close to doing it.

I posted this same thing the other day, not sure if it was here or another forum. Trump isn't going to do anything, he doesn't have support for that type of action, it's unconstitutional and there may be some Republicans still with enough spine to tell him to chill and shut up. But as I said in my post, my son lives in S. America, that's how much he hates Trump and he has said for two years that Trump will call a national emergency and cancel the 2020 elections. That sounded too far-fetched to believe at that time but now not so out of the realm of possibilities.

Trump is melting down but he's pretty much constrained as to how far he can go legally. If he was smart he'd let time run out on the five year statute of limitations on some of the crimes he knows he's guilty of. If he's impeached now, he'll be up on charges in the NY courts in a heartbeat once he's out and before the statute of limitations expires.

Not at all. He's just itching to do it. I don't want to be Russianized.

A national emergency is not automatically martial law. Martial law can be a component of said national emergency but it is not automatic. That decision, the decision to suspend constitutional rights, is up to the President to implement or not.

I’m all for it. While he’s at it he needs to tell all the ones here already that don’t belong to either drive down there and go back where they came from, fly back on their own ticket, or he will collect them at their housing.

You should just admit that you've been in favor of Trump declaring martial law starting on January 21, 2017.
It's okay, everyone knows already.

The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law)

Two different things. One does not necessarily entail the other.

I don't see Trump declaring martial law. Yet.

I posted this same thing the other day, not sure if it was here or another forum. Trump isn't going to do anything, he doesn't have support for that type of action, it's unconstitutional...

Do your research before you make such statements please. It is NOT "Unconstitutional." :doh

The President has the power to do so, but he must specify the reason and then report to Congress on the progress. Congress also has the power to end the State of Emergency.

This is codified under 50 U.S. Code Chapter 34 - NATIONAL EMERGENCIES. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-34

Having said that, I don't think it would be a good idea, and whoever brought this to Mr. Trump's attention is leading him astray.

I prefer he simply keep refusing to accept any appropriations bill unless and until the House grants funds for the wall.

National emergency now equals martial law?!?

A national emergency is not automatically martial law. Martial law can be a component of said national emergency but it is not automatic. That decision, the decision to suspend constitutional rights, is up to the President to implement or not.

But, the moment Trump declares a “national emergency", a decision that is entirely within his discretion, he is able to set aside many of the legal limits on his authority. It would be comforting to think that America is protected from the worst excesses of Trump’s impulses by its democratic laws and institutions. We, who see Trump as a threat to democracy comfort ourselves with the belief that these limits will hold him in check. With the flick of his pen, Trump could activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow him to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest, which there definitely would be.

Remember all those 'Presidential Wireless Alerts' we all received in October? Yes, the Trump channel on all our phones. Hasn't anyone else wondered what the point of that is, I mean really is?

You should just admit that you've been in favor of Trump declaring martial law starting on January 21, 2017.
It's okay, everyone knows already.
Good. I’m glad I did not hurt your feelings.

Do your research before you make such statements please. It is NOT "Unconstitutional." :doh

The President has the power to do so, but he must specify the reason and then report to Congress on the progress. Congress also has the power to end the State of Emergency.

This is codified under 50 U.S. Code Chapter 34 - NATIONAL EMERGENCIES. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-34

Having said that, I don't think it would be a good idea, and whoever brought this to Mr. Trump's attention is leading him astray.

I prefer he simply keep refusing to accept any appropriations bill unless and until the House grants funds for the wall.

You're wrong, it is absolutely unconstitutional if a 'state of emergency' has been declared by the president for political purposes.

I have heard of these emergency measures since I first became a survivalist back in the 80's.
While they sure are draconian ans sweeping, no president has used them yet.
I have heard from many paranoid sources, though, in the last 40-odd years they are being contemplated.
The sources are without exception, those of whom hate the current sitting president.

Usually the common theme is the sitting prez is going to declare an emergency so they can be dictator-for-life.

These alarming rumors have been whispered and published even longer than I have been aware of them.
Nothing has happened yet, so I prefer to limit my blood pressure rising to things like this....

398fe8ec928c727f6078428fced911f6.jpg

While Trump is contemplating if he can do this to get his wall maybe congress can contemplate what it would take to invoke the 25th.

What Trump says and what he does have tended to be two different things.

I dont think Trump will do it but if he does I will have something to say.

I'm no legal expert in this, but yes I think it might be marshal law. He'd be suspending Constitutional powers, by sending the military to do civilian policing. No?

Here's what Mariam Webster has to say about this:

Definition of martial law. 1 : the law applied in occupied territory by the military authority of the occupying power. 2 : the law administered by military forces that is invoked by a government in an emergency when the civilian law enforcement agencies are unable to maintain public order and safety.Sep 24, 2018

Source: (Marriam Webster) Martial Law

I'm old enough to remember when Obama + Martial Law = End of the World, but now we are having nuanced discussions about whether a President has the power and what he gets when he does enact such a thing????????????????

Back
Top Bottom