• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If today you can't stand Trump as POTUS, was there a time when you were willing to give him a shot?

If today you can't stand Trump as POTUS, was there a time when you were willing to give him a shot?

• Total voters
I was of the mind that he was behaving like a defiant and offensive ass on the campaign trail because he recognized that such behavior excited his constituent base, especially as supremacists and extremists began to latch on. I figured he would abandon that nonsense after being elected:

- From encouraging the mindless mob into chants of "lock her up," Trump immediately declared that he isn't interested.
- From Trump's moronic declaration that "NATO is obsolete," he moved to a year later declaring that "NATO is no longer obsolete."

So, perhaps the guy was just savvy enough to leash up the idiocy of the country, created by years of GOP interest groups and FOX News-inspired propaganda, and skip into the White House?

Nope. He went on to prove how his outsider inexperience has left him inept in domestic and international politics; and as the criticism built from all sectors of the political spectrum, he defaulted back to being an ass for his loyalists.

We have been witnesses to his filling of his Cabinet with the swamp that he told his loyalists he would drain, taking credit for ongoing economic trends, de-legitimizing the electoral process, shamelessly and openly feeding the wealthy with ever more riches through our taxes, significantly reducing American influence in virtually every region on the planet, criticizing even our strongest allies while cozying up to dictators and autocrats for "peace," constantly attacking American legal, government, and media institutions of our democracy, the drama of his personal financial, sexual, and criminal investigation scandals. And through all of this his loyalists merely shrug as they encourage Trump to keep lowering the bar of the Office into ever more depreciating standards of acceptance. Much like they did while he was on the campaign trail inciting violence, insulting American POWs, denigrating the handicapped, and labeling political rivals as enemies.

But, considering that Donald Trump was king "birther," what did we actually expect?

Blue:
Well, once he won the election, I did hope, even if not expecting so, that he'd "abandon that nonsense."

Blue:
Well, once he won the election, I did hope, even if not expecting so, that he'd "abandon that nonsense."

As did I. I figured that his behavior was so obnoxious and shameless that it had to be an act. He proved me wrong.

You're missing a few choices on the poll.

Agreed.

I wasn't thrilled about voting for Trump, but I certainly didn't want Hillary in the WH.

I was, and am, unwilling to secede control of the government to the political elites which have clearly demonstrated, and have implemented, a standard of law unto themselves far different than the standard of law that applies to everyone else.

This cannot be allowed to stand.

I find it ironic that on more than one occasion Trump has recited the “Snake” fable. He could be the snake and the ending would only have to go from, ”you knew what I was when you picked me up,” to you knew what I was when you voted for me.”

I had hoped for the “Presidential Pivot” that was talked about until that was stomped out.....

I was willing to give him a shot until his American carnage comment.

You're missing a few choices on the poll.
Agreed.

I wasn't thrilled about voting for Trump, but I certainly didn't want Hillary in the WH.

I was, and am, unwilling to secede control of the government to the political elites which have clearly demonstrated, and have implemented, a standard of law unto themselves far different than the standard of law that applies to everyone else.

This cannot be allowed to stand.

Red:
I don't know how your answer illustrates something that's omitted from the poll.
  1. Can you today "not stand" Trump as POTUS (not as a person and/or without regard to whether he's the POTUS, for were he not POTUS, I wouldn't think or talk about him at all)?
    • Yes --> Proceed to #2.
    • No --> Don't answer the poll. You're not among the population whose input the poll question solicits.
  2. Was there are time where you were willing to give Trump a shot?
    • Yes --> Tick the "yes" option in the poll.
    • No --> Tick the "no" option in the poll.

In 2014, I first heard -- in what are my anecdotally "reliable" circles, aka from the folks in my "grapevine" -- that Trump would likely run for POTUS. Prior to that time, I'd heard some scuttlebutt about his reprobate character (reprobate by the standards of folks in my circles) and his disingenuousness in business dealings, but I figured a variety of things:
  • Well, he's hooligan, but surely the presidency and seeking it will inspire him to exercise temperamental discipline and refinement befitting someone who'd be POTUS that he was taught as a young person.
  • Well, he's a businessman, so he'll exercise the due rigor, soundness and cogency of thought, analysis and solutioneering concomitant with a Fortune 500 CEO.
  • Well, he runs a large global business, surely he'll effect in government the operational and communicative coherence, collaborative culture and comportmental constancy characteristic of the best run of such firms.
I thought a few other things too, but those were the main ones. Taken together, in 2014 and 2015 I was optimistic about the notion of a Trump presidency. Then he came down that escalator opened his mouth about Mexicans and I began to have my doubts. Sometime between then and the GOP convention, I realized that all I'd head about the kind of man Trump is was true and that he wasn't going to change, nor even mollify/remake his public persona.[SUP]1[/SUP] It was then that Trump scuttled the opportunity to earn my approbation of his candidacy/presidency. In short, I did give him a chance. He blew it.

Note:
  1. Mind, I don't hold against him that he didn't attenuate or alter his character. I hold against him his character, for it's incorrigible. To wit, that he has no shame is what it is. That he has no shame while having plenty to be ashamed of is the problem, and that is among the things I hold against him.

I never gave him a chace, because of his campaign rhetoric and behavior. In fact, I was very deeply and personally concerned. Simply put, my husband is going through the immigration process and from a Muslim majority country. My families includes many immigrants and muslims.

I would get really irritated with people, when they tried to tell me to give Trump a chance. My husband left America for a family emergency, when the airport protests were happening. I was really pissed off at people who lectured me on how wrong I was for not giving the Trump presidency a chance. In my POV, they should known better to support him and put him in the WH. Doing that involved them straight up ignoring the prespective and respecting concerns of other people like me. Back then, I was really concerned with how far they were willing to let Trump go.

I find it ironic that on more than one occasion Trump has recited the “Snake” fable. He could be the snake and the ending would only have to go from, ”you knew what I was when you picked me up,” to you knew what I was when you voted for me.”

I had hoped for the “Presidential Pivot” that was talked about until that was stomped out.....

Red:
Well, yes. (I know you, Rexedgar, don't need to click the preceding link. Others may.)

I have to say no, only because I thought Trump was a dishonest grifter when I was about 10 years old.

Haha. I told my husband, the first time I saw Trump when I was a very young, I didn't like him. For somebody who looked so stupid with his hair, he came off really arrogant, mean, and selfish.

In relation to the OP, I’ve NEVER understood why someone being a Fortune 500 CEO was considered a positive towards someone’s presidential credentials. A F500 CEO’s job is to make money and please shareholders, which is NOT THE JOB OF THE PRESIDENT.

“We should run the country like a business” is the single most moronic line ever uttered by any political pundit in the history of ever.

I never understood it either. Business people are going to run the government to help business. We may as well just let the lobbyist take over.

People talk like they forget GWB was an MBA

I can't answer your poll because the first condition...If today you can't stand Trump as POTUS...doesn't apply to me.

But I wasn't always a supporter of Trump. Frankly, he wasn't really on my radar at all until he came down that escalator. But when he did, I looked at his positions. They looked okay. When he started knocking off the other GOP candidates, he got more of my attention. I began thinking that this guy could give Hillary a run for her money. That's what I wanted. Given a choice between Trump and Hillary...Trump gets my vote. That was when I was willing to give him a shot.

Looking back, I'm happy to say that I made a good choice.

I know you must be proud of Trump lying to the American people almost every time he opens his mouth. Then there is the non stop corruption within his organization.

Haha. I told my husband, the first time I saw Trump when I was a very young, I didn't like him. For somebody who looked so stupid with his hair, he came off really arrogant, mean, and selfish.

I can't remember the first time Trump entered my conscience... maybe the late 1970s. It didn't take long for me to consider him an attention whore. I never considered him worthy of POTUS.

One time I watched him get really annoyed when an interviewer asked him if he had ever changed a diaper. He said no.... that other people take care of things like that, and that no one (as in people who might watch the interview) had any interest in him answering that kind of question.

I certainly had an interest in his answer! I predict and hope Chump does not finish his term. Chump talks like a dimwit, lies compulsively and lacks integrity. I voted NO in the poll.

Oh boy just what was needed... One more in a very long line of I really, really hate President Trump threads!
But it's a new day so I am sure there are more on the way. :confused:

I can't remember the first time Trump entered my conscience... maybe the late 1970s. It didn't take long for me to consider him an attention whore. I never considered him worthy of POTUS.

One time I watched him get really annoyed when an interviewer asked him if he had ever changed a diaper. He said no.... that other people take care of things like that, and that no one (as in people who might watch the interview) had any interest in him answering that kind of question.

I certainly had an interest in his answer! I predict and hope Chump does not finish his term. Chump talks like a dimwit, lies compulsively and lacks integrity. I voted NO in the poll.

Chump is a dimwit.That is why he talks like a dimwit.

Oh boy just what was needed... One more in a very long line of I really, really hate President Trump threads!
But it's a new day so I am sure there are more on the way. :confused:

Trump is reaping what he has sewn.

You don't have to taste a crap sandwich to know its a crap sandwich. You can see it... you can smell it.

I've known about Trump for 30+ years, even heard him speak live a couple of times in NYC.

I was never willing to give him a shot to be POTUS. Not 30 years ago, not 10 years ago, not now. I, and many people in NY and NJ knew exactly what kind of person he is, and how divisive and destructive his presidency would be. You can't run a country like he ran his businesses, especially with the type of personality Trump has.

Egomaniac, narcissistic, dictatorial, self centered to the nth degree type of management doesn't work in politics.

You are not the only person in NYC who can't stand him. I knew people from there, when GWB was in office, so this is early 2000s, complaining about his business reputation and lying. They were saying then that he was lying about how much he was worth, and people thought he was wealthier than he actually was.

It's kind of interesting that people were saying that back then. It's also weird that Trump would create a false imagine for himself about his wealth.

In 2014, I first heard -- in what are my anecdotally "reliable" circles, aka from the folks in my "grapevine" -- that Trump would likely run for POTUS. Prior to that time, I'd heard some scuttlebutt about his reprobate character (reprobate by the standards of folks in my circles) and his disingenuousness in business dealings, but I figured a variety of things:
  • Well, he's hooligan, but surely the presidency and seeking it will inspire him to exercise temperamental discipline and refinement befitting someone who'd be POTUS that he was taught as a young person.
  • Well, he's a businessman, so he'll exercise the due rigor, soundness and cogency of thought, analysis and solutioneering concomitant with a Fortune 500 CEO.
  • Well, he runs a large global business, surely he'll effect in government the operational and communicative coherence, collaborative culture and comportmental constancy characteristic of the best run of such firms.
I thought a few other things too, but those were the main ones. Taken together, in 2014 and 2015 I was optimistic about the notion of a Trump presidency. Then he came down that escalator opened his mouth about Mexicans and I began to have my doubts. Sometime between then and the GOP convention, I realized that all I'd head about the kind of man Trump is was true and that he wasn't going to change, nor even mollify/remake his public persona.[SUP]1[/SUP] It was then that Trump scuttled the opportunity to earn my approbation of his candidacy/presidency. In short, I did give him a chance. He blew it.

Note:
  1. Mind, I don't hold against him that he didn't attenuate or alter his character. I hold against him his character, for it's incorrigible. To wit, that he has no shame is what it is. That he has no shame while having plenty to be ashamed of is the problem, and that is among the things I hold against him.

The biggest winners besides the left is China. They want their Obama back.

The biggest winners besides the left is China. They want their Obama back.
Be that as it may, it's not the topic of discussion for this thread. By all means, create a thread to discuss that.

You are not the only person in NYC who can't stand him. I knew people from there, when GWB was in office, so this is early 2000s, complaining about his business reputation and lying. They were saying then that he was lying about how much he was worth, and people thought he was wealthier than he actually was.

It's kind of interesting that people were saying that back then. It's also weird that Trump would create a false imagine for himself about his wealth.

He is a mentally fragile extreme narcissist with an inferiority complex. A very dangerous combination. Being a loud braggart and serial liar is simply part of that affliction.

There was no place for a brainless, misogynist, narcissist and racist asshole in the WH. Never. I'd feel the same way of Trump were a Democrat.

Adding to the above, think it's normal for a billionaire to steal money for his personal use from his charity? Jeepers....

Back
Top Bottom