• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If there are no jobs then what?

let's look at it in the opposite way
if the value of walmart shares doubled tonite
would walmart then go on a store building binge

Finally, someone who understands business!

Finally, someone who understands business!

you mean misunderstands!! If shares doubled it would mean capitalization doubled. Shareholders would only let that happen if Walmart was indeed worth double. Say, Amazon magically disappeared one night!! That would cause shares to lets say double and Walmart would indeed go on a store building binge. Now you understand business.

Businesses expand when their sales increase, or at least when they expect their sales to increase.

When consumers are spending less, business in aggregate will not expand. A particular competitor may expand if they are innovative, but the aggregate market will still shrink. It HAS to shrink if people are spending less - it's simple math. You are conflating what may happen to a particular innovative company during a market contraction with what would happen with the market overall. And things can even be tough for innovative companies when the market is shrinking because they are just chasing after a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

Even Walmart has found on occasion that there is not enough demand in a particular area to justify operations. They just recently closed a store in my county.

Business expansion is not the end all and be all of the economy. It is the law of diminishing returns at play. Asia presents a better return on investment currently so capital flows to Asia. When America presents a better return on investment, capital will return to the US. Walmart, unlike most companies, actually invests a lot of money in experimenting with new business forms. For instance, despite having a super store and a Sam's Club, they have opened a free-standing grocery store with gas pumps in my city. They are effectively competing with themselves in the short term, but it is part of an experiment to see how to best maintain corporate profitability in an age when people do not want to invest the time in picking up things and standing in line at the Superstore, or whether or not they can sell gas profitably without the attached Sam's Club membership fees.

Business expansion is not the end all and be all of the economy. .

sure it is!!! if a business expands it will make more money which it will like. To do that customers will have to buy more which they too will like. 1+1=2

sure it is!!! if a business expands it will make more money which it will like.
more money will not be made unless the demand increases
think of buggy whip makers as the automobile was entering the marketplace
expanison of buggy whip making facilities would have been an unwise business decision

To do that customers will have to buy more which they too will like. 1+1=2
notice that the customers would have no need to buy buy additional buggy whips when a substituted product - the automobile - entered the marketplace

with the looming presence of driverless vehicles, do you also believe now would be an excellent time to expand driving schools?

expanison of buggy whip making facilities would have been an unwise business decision

dear, if anyone disagreed with you I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??

with the looming presence of driverless vehicles, do you also believe now would be an excellent time to expand driving schools?

dear, if someone said or implied it would be a good time to expand driving schools I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??????? Do you have any idea what point you were trying to make?

dear, if anyone disagreed with you I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??

this comment should be familiar to you, since it is yours:
... if a business expands it will make more money which it will like. ...
i was offering an example in which your 'point' would be found to be wrong
now, do YOU disagree with me?

i'll take my $10000 in cash (USD)

dear, if someone said or implied it would be a good time to expand driving schools I'll pay you $10,000. Bet??????? Do you have any idea what point you were trying to make?

again, let's examine your post:
... if a business expands it will make more money which it will like. ...
it appears you agree with me, that now is probably not the best time to expand a driving school enterprise
which again proves your argument to be ... wrong ... at least in that instance

you post as if you believe you have a strong knowledge of the subject. your brief posting history proves that to be an erroneous belief

i was offering an example

yes you pointed out the example of starting a driving school saying it would be bad idea since the driverless car is coming, as if you were a 2 year old who just figured out that 1+1=2 while everyone was older than you and already knew it. Do you have any idea what you point you were trying to make????????

it appears you agree with me, that now is probably not the best time to expand a driving school enterprise

dear, everyone on earth has always agreed with you. Do you have any idea on earth what your point is?????????

which again proves your argument to be ... wrong ...

why not say what argument is wrong and why you think it is wrong??????????????????????????????????

Oh jeez.

Yet another...'automation will kill jobs' fear question.

This question has been going on for well over 100 years...and it as silly today as it was then.

More so actually today because it has been proven time and time again to be TOTAL NONSENSE.

Innovation increases the quality of life and does not cause mass unemployment.

Never has.

yes you pointed out the example of starting a driving school saying it would be bad idea since the driverless car is coming, as if you were a 2 year old who just figured out that 1+1=2 while everyone was older than you and already knew it. Do you have any idea what you point you were trying to make????????

yes, my point was to educate you that simply expanding a business enterprise does not mean that it will garner more income or profitability
a position you posted within this thread, that expanding a company results in expanded income/profits
hopefully, you now know better after the examples provided for your edification

dear, everyone on earth has always agreed with you. Do you have any idea on earth what your point is?????????

yes
i have already shared that with you
seems i cannot type slow enough for you to be able to understand it

you mean misunderstands!! If shares doubled it would mean capitalization doubled. Shareholders would only let that happen if Walmart was indeed worth double. Say, Amazon magically disappeared one night!! That would cause shares to lets say double and Walmart would indeed go on a store building binge. Now you understand business.

In theory, that's exactly how the stock market should work.

But it doesn't. Stocks go up and down based upon supply (of the stock) and demand (for the stock), and supply/demand doesn't always depend upon how successful or profitable the company is.

Look at the price for Amazon. Yet Amazon has never made a profit.

It's this lack of connection between actual value of the company and price that allows stocks and even entire markets to boom and bust.

sure it is!!! if a business expands it will make more money which it will like. To do that customers will have to buy more which they too will like. 1+1=2

Not all individual business expansion results in a net increase in our economy, although individual business expansion can certainly result in that if there are fewer competitors contracting.

Oh jeez.

Yet another...'automation will kill jobs' fear question.

This question has been going on for well over 100 years...and it as silly today as it was then.

More so actually today because it has been proven time and time again to be TOTAL NONSENSE.

Innovation increases the quality of life and does not cause mass unemployment.

Never has.

The past doesn't ALWAYS predict the future.

Ever heard of declining marginal utility?

exactly, and automation will not replace as many jobs as electricity, farm equipment, hammers nails, metal saws, cars, electric motors, etc

Back
Top Bottom