• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the U.S. wants to let Russia (and the rest of the world) know we're serious...restart the draft.

Dayton3

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Forget sanctions, forget stationing more U.S. forces overseas, forget putting U.S. nuclear weapons on alert, a step that would really put the Russians and the rest of the world on notice (including both our enemies and our friends) would be restarting conscription in the United States.

Such a move would be extremely serious, expensive, and controversial but not immediately provocative to the Russians or China. If the Biden Admin. proposed it and pushed to get it through Congress despite the mammoth opposition it would announce more than anything else that the U.S. is serious about resisting Russian (and Chinese) foreign adventurism. Not to mention in one fell swoop it would show Americans just how serious the global situation is now. And perhaps get Americans to stop whining about gasoline prices and other economic troubles

Forget sanctions, forget stationing more U.S. forces overseas, forget putting U.S. nuclear weapons on alert, a step that would really put the Russians and the rest of the world on notice (including both our enemies and our friends) would be restarting conscription in the United States.

Such a move would be extremely serious, expensive, and controversial but not immediately provocative to the Russians or China. If the Biden Admin. proposed it and pushed to get it through Congress despite the mammoth opposition it would announce more than anything else that the U.S. is serious about resisting Russian (and Chinese) foreign adventurism. Not to mention in one fell swoop it would show Americans just how serious the global situation is now. And perhaps get Americans to stop whining about gasoline prices and other economic troubles
Have you enlisted?

I can think of few things more moronic than the proposal by the poster who used to have a nazi avatar.

If we're not going to send troops, why start a draft? We're just going to rip hundreds of thousands of young people from college, turn them into soldiers, then go "allright, you're done. Go back to whatever life you were leading. We don't need your service, just the show"?

How many days will it take for me to run through the first list of negative consequences to such a behavior?

As it is, Russia cannot withstand our volunteer army. The reason we aren't sending it is not because it isn't big or strong enough. It's because we aren't quite ready to bet the world population on Russia deciding to fold instead of raising the stakes with nukes. It'd just look like desperate and strange saber-rattling, which is exactly what it would be.

The way to show that we're serious is to be serious, which is what we're doing. If we want to stake the world population on a bet that Putin will fold, we don't need a draft to do it.

The military doesn’t WANT conscription.

Traitor trolls strike again, the never ending line of moronic right wing nonsense being shit out on this forum is ridiculous. And then if Biden gets involved militarily the same people will be whining and saying 'he said no US military intervention"

predictable, traitorous hacks

Have you enlisted?
You don't know that I'm 54 years old with major medical conditions that would preclude me from getting in the military even if I begged them?

Who cares? They did not want to end conscription in the early 1970s either. The military by and large hates change.

Nobody at BCT(or the military as a whole) wants people who don’t want to be there in the first place. Bringing the draft back isn’t just pointless, it’s actively counterproductive

You don't know that I'm 54 years old with major medical conditions that would preclude me from getting in the military even if I begged them?
Let's say we make exceptions for you to work in a office but you have to be stationed in Poland......you in?

Sure. As long as I can receive my dialysis three times a week.
And be separated from your family and lose your current job, start out as a private and live in a tent

This is what you ask of others

And be separated from your family and lose your current job, start out as a private and live in a tent

This is what you ask of others
I'm on disability. So I don't have a "current job".

The Pentagon - the recipient of new troops - would never go for it, and for many reasons. According to the Pentagon, conscripts are part of the reason we lost in Vietnam. When professional soldiers enlist, their families don't complain when they come home in body bags, because they know it was their own child's choice. When conscripts come back in body bags, their families take to the streets and protest in the tens-of-thousands. That's what they did during the Vietnam conflict. A "professional" military doesn't question the mission because they signed on as a career.

Also, the professional military we have now is far more specialized than it has ever been in our history. The days when 95% of them came out of boot camp and were handed a rifle and a backpack are long gone. It takes more time and money now to train them for the roles they'll be expected to fill. The days of amassing huge infantries have been fading for a long time. The Pentagon is looking to cultivate robot mechanics, drone pilots, IT experts, etc. . . . . . not for cannon fodder.

The Pentagon - the recipient of new troops - would never go for it, and for many reasons. According to the Pentagon, conscripts are part of the reason we lost in Vietnam. When professional soldiers enlist, their families don't complain when they come home in body bags, because they know it was their own child's choice. When conscripts come back in body bags, their families take to the streets and protest in the tens-of-thousands. That's what they did during the Vietnam conflict. A "professional" military doesn't question the mission because they signed on as a career.

Also, the professional military we have now is far more specialized than it has ever been in our history. The days when 95% of them came out of boot camp and were handed a rifle and a backpack are long gone. It takes more time and money now to train them for the roles they'll be expected to fill. The days of amassing huge infantries have been fading for a long time. The Pentagon is looking to cultivate robot mechanics, drone pilots, IT experts, etc. . . . . . not for cannon fodder.

You don't realize do you that the U.S. military during the Vietnam War had a far LOWER percentage of draftees than the U.S. military in World War Two.?

So your entire first paragraph is false.

The opinion of soneone who never served even when they were young and healthy and now wants a draft is dismissed

You don't realize do you that the U.S. military during the Vietnam War had a far LOWER percentage of draftees than the U.S. military in World War Two.?

So your entire first paragraph is false. (????)
?? Non sequitur. Read it again - and keep rereading it until you get it!

The size of the Vietnam war was a small fraction of WWII. It was, by comparison, a tiny regional conflict - in fact, nothing more than a civil war in Vietnam. Moreover, unlike WWII, we were not defending our country in Vietnam, whereas we were attacked by Japan in WWII.
BIG DIFFERENCE, don'tcha think??
WWII was, by comparison, a very popular war where American soil had been attacked by a foreign invader, so citizens scrambled to enlist. Conversely, most people knew that Vietnam was a contrived war, fighting the alleged communist domino effect.

?? Non sequitur. Read it again - and keep rereading it until you get it!

The size of the Vietnam war was a small fraction of WWII. It was, by comparison, a tiny regional conflict - in fact, nothing more than a civil war in Vietnam. Moreover, unlike WWII, we were not defending our country in Vietnam, whereas we were attacked by Japan in WWII.
BIG DIFFERENCE, don'tcha think??
WWII was, by comparison, a very popular war where American soil had been attacked by a foreign invader, so citizens scrambled to enlist. Conversely, most people knew that Vietnam was a contrived war, fighting the alleged communist domino effect.
You obviously have never read about the staggering numbers and percentages of U.S. soldiers court-martialed during World War Two.

The military doesn’t WANT conscription.
Seriously. Please god I don't want to work with people that desperately don't want to be there. Most the of the people that are in the military right now barely want to be there as it is. That's on top of all the other reasons that this is a terrible idea.

Seriously. Please god I don't want to work with people that desperately don't want to be there. Most the of the people that are in the military right now barely want to be there as it is. That's on top of all the other reasons that this is a terrible idea.
My dad was drafted during the Korean War and he served with a bunch of other draftees.

It went very well for he and them. In fact his lowest opinion of fellow soldiers was regarding members of the National Guard who of course were volunteers.

The draft?

I get where you're coming from but, seriously, would you want to be in the same squad as some of the lunatics we have around here?

My dad was drafted during the Korean War and he served with a bunch of other draftees.

It went very well for he and them. In fact his lowest opinion of fellow soldiers was regarding members of the National Guard who of course were volunteers.
The Air Force was changing when I got out in '88. Based on what people are telling me now, it's more "equality first" than "mission first" and that's a great way to get people killed. We've got a LOT more technology today than we did 30 years ago but that technology doesn't make a soldier a more dedicated fighter.

Bad idea imo

Back
Top Bottom