• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the U.S. wants to let Russia (and the rest of the world) know we're serious...restart the draft.

The fact that you can point to a single reputed instance of conscription working out okay does not mean that conscription as a whole is a viable means of serving the strategic interests of the United States.
It means its possible though.

First, it seems like the conservatives are the whiners, 61% of Americans accept higher gas prices to place sanctions on Russia.... :unsure:

Second, creating cannon fodder doesn't threaten anyone. The cost of paying the new recruits would be crippling. Crippling the Russian economy and stripping wealth from Putin's cronies makes far more sense.

Third, I doubt Putin would be afraid of conscripts- especially if the inductees are films bitching about induction. His conscripts suck major buttocks, I doubt he'd see ours as much of a threat... ✌️
Why do you people keep thinking I want to send a conscripted military to war?

The whole point is to avoid having to fight a war with Russia or anyone else.

So I'm supposed to ignore my dad's experiences in that war?

Don't expect the rest of us to take it as conclusive data.

You don't know that I'm 54 years old with major medical conditions that would preclude me from getting in the military even if I begged them?

So you want to send other people to satisfy your need for war. That's even worse.

Yes, let's force tens of thousands of people who don't want to be there to join the military, that's sure to be fantastic.
I assume the rich will be able to dodge this new draft as always?

So you want to send other people to satisfy your need for war. That's even worse.
When are you people going to learn to read? I've said not one word about sending a conscripted army off to war.

Forget sanctions, forget stationing more U.S. forces overseas, forget putting U.S. nuclear weapons on alert, a step that would really put the Russians and the rest of the world on notice (including both our enemies and our friends) would be restarting conscription in the United States.

Such a move would be extremely serious, expensive, and controversial but not immediately provocative to the Russians or China. If the Biden Admin. proposed it and pushed to get it through Congress despite the mammoth opposition it would announce more than anything else that the U.S. is serious about resisting Russian (and Chinese) foreign adventurism. Not to mention in one fell swoop it would show Americans just how serious the global situation is now. And perhaps get Americans to stop whining about gasoline prices and other economic troubles
Ain't no liberal EVER gonna vote to do that. They'd rather someone else protect them.

Yes, let's force tens of thousands of people who don't want to be there to join the military, that's sure to be fantastic.
I assume the rich will be able to dodge this new draft as always?

You people don't realize that when we had a draft more of the "rich" and kids of congressman served in the military than at any other time?

When are you people going to learn to read? I've said not one word about sending a conscripted army off to war.

Do you think people are drafted into the reserves for possible combat?

Do you think people are drafted into the reserves for possible combat?
Between 1953 and 1964 we had a draft and for the most part didn't send them to fight wars.

Between 1953 and 1964 we had a draft and for the most part didn't send them to fight wars.

Oh my god 🤦‍♂️

Do you remember the chants of HELL NO, WE WON'T GO! in the '60s and '70s? What do you think they were protesting, basic training? :LOL:

Forget sanctions, forget stationing more U.S. forces overseas, forget putting U.S. nuclear weapons on alert, a step that would really put the Russians and the rest of the world on notice (including both our enemies and our friends) would be restarting conscription in the United States.

Such a move would be extremely serious, expensive, and controversial but not immediately provocative to the Russians or China. If the Biden Admin. proposed it and pushed to get it through Congress despite the mammoth opposition it would announce more than anything else that the U.S. is serious about resisting Russian (and Chinese) foreign adventurism. Not to mention in one fell swoop it would show Americans just how serious the global situation is now. And perhaps get Americans to stop whining about gasoline prices and other economic troubles
Would have just been easier to move more troops to the borders and to move troops into Ukraine. Putin knew Biden was not going to do anything to stop him. No wonder Putin didn't want Biden to be President.

I think the country as a hole appreciated and understood the military better during the period in which we had the draft. Besides now that the women's rights movement has become so prevalent we could double the military with female conscripts.

Oh my god 🤦‍♂️

Do you remember the chants of HELL NO, WE WON'T GO! in the '60s and '70s? What do you think they were protesting, basic training? :LOL:
I did say 1953 to 1964. According to the history of conscription in the U.S. protests were minimal then.

You people don't realize that when we had a draft more of the "rich" and kids of congressman served in the military than at any other time?

Oh yes, just so many rich kids went to fight and die in Vietnam.

Oh yes, just so many rich kids went to fight and die in Vietnam.
Just because you get drafted into the military does not mean you get sent to fight in a war zone.

Why on earth would anyone think it a good idea to reinstate the draft?

It was a bad idea when it existed - it would be a worse idea now.

Dayton has a keen interest in other people being dragged into wars.

Back
Top Bottom