• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the stock market continues to tank ....

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If the stock market continues to tank, will the GOP stay loyal to Trump?

How bad do things need to get before the GOP bails from the wrecking-ball-in-chief?

I know, it's the one thing they cling to (even though the economy is largely just gonna do whatever it wants), and it's now falling as well.
Worse, some of it is thought to be be related to trade war stuff, which actually was Trump's choice.

For unethical people, there is no choice here, its obvious. You stick with Trump, you deny, deny, deny. It's not like the other options that are more honest, hold much value to them.

Stocks only fell when democrats won the House, and threatened to send the nation into turmoil with investigations and impeachment. <- how's that?
Senate may turn on him of crimes are weighty and serious, but that's TBD.

For unethical people, there is no choice here, its obvious. You stick with Trump, you deny, deny, deny. It's not like the other options that are more honest, hold much value to them.

Stocks only fell when democrats won the House, and threatened to send the nation into turmoil with investigations and impeachment. <- how's that?
This.

The GOP is in too deep with Trump now, so they have to stand with him, even if they lose their talking point of a "booming economy".

I know, it's the one thing they cling to (even though the economy is largely just gonna do whatever it wants), and it's now falling as well.
Worse, some of it is thought to be be related to trade war stuff, which actually was Trump's choice.

LOL ... (as you know) stocks fell long before that. We know Trump tried to sell that line. But stocks rise and fall with announcements about his trade war and we're negative for the year. I don't see how that plays well anywhere.

This.

The GOP is in too deep with Trump now, so they have to stand with him, even if they lose their talking point of a "booming economy".

I don't know. He keeps torching things. He might torch enough for people to say "enough". If the GOP lose their booming economy talking point, what do they have left?

Oh yes, anti-abortion judges. But they can have that with Pence.

If the stock market continues to tank ....
...Shrewd investors will nonetheless make money.

That's one of the the beauteous qualities of the stock market: lots of money to be made on the ups and downs.

How bad do things need to get before the GOP bails from the wrecking-ball-in-chief?

IMO we would need a full blown recession, unemployment creeping back up, hiring being scaled back, credit crunch.

Stocks only fell when democrats won the House

Not true. Stocks have been struggling since the one-year anniversary of tRump's presidency.

https://www.usatoday.com/money/lookup/index/I:DJI/

IMO we would need a full blown recession, unemployment creeping back up, hiring being scaled back, credit crunch.

But voters need to become more sophisticated and understand that the markets are cyclical. If we just keep blaming presidents for the ups and downs we'll be totally lost.

I want voters to kick Trump out not because we have a recession but because he lied to them when he claimed the corporate tax cuts would pay for themselves.

We need to totally bury this "voodoo economics" belief that tax cuts pay for themselves.

Not true. Stocks have been struggling since the one-year anniversary of tRump's presidency.
https://www.usatoday.com/money/lookup/index/I:DJI/
nonsense. Markets are geared to predict this sort of thing, they knew a blue tide would come, they factored it in. Dems fault.

lol, obvioulsy that's not true, it's my attempt at a Trump-nutter response (the last part anyway).

I think that tRump's rural base would stand by their man, but his suburban support would continue to fade.

nonsense. Markets are geared to predict this sort of thing, they knew a blue tide would come, they factored it in. Dems fault.

lol, obvioulsy that's not true, it's my attempt at a Trump-nutter response (the last part anyway).

Ha!

What's even more fun is when you look at the starting and ending DJIA's of the last couple of Presidents with a one-year lag. Strictly by that measure, W. Bush really was that bad, and Obama was one of the best Presidents ever!

I think that tRump's rural base would stand by their man, but his suburban support would continue to fade.

Relatively few in the rural base are invested in the stock market.
Their idea of the stock market is to utter the word "tycoon" and visualize the guy on the Monopoly board fidgeting with a 19th century stock ticker machine, as he gathers sacks of gold around him and adjusts his monacle.

The GOP is neck deep in corruption, owned by the mega-rich, and trying to avoid getting sucked down into the hole of conspiring to steal elections with Russians. Most will fight to the end. But, the end is nigh.

THe tanking economy means people will begin voting the creeps out.

It is only down about 10% from its highs. Which is still up about 22% from Jan 2017.

The stock market in any real economic slowdown will drop to 16 000. It was over valued at 20 000, and definitely over valued at 24 400, let alone 26 500

LOL ... (as you know) stocks fell long before that. We know Trump tried to sell that line. But stocks rise and fall with announcements about his trade war and we're negative for the year. I don't see how that plays well anywhere.

The machinations of the Stock Market are mostly yet one more indication of the absurdity that is the Trump Administration. Trump does not know how to staff up a large Executive Operation. He has never been at the head of a large Executive Operation. He does not know how to run a large Executive Operation. Though that is only one of Trump's failings as a Chief Executive it is the one on display today.

So lets talk about today specifically. There was plenty of good news to go around for the market today. The Inverted Yield Curve is an issue but it generally is considered a long term issue. We had the two economic advisors considered to be ramroding the Trade issues come out and publicly disagree with each, to miss each like ships in the night on the messaging. Kudlow and Navarro are to trade and Lighthizer what Steve Miller is to Immigration Policy and Nielson at Homeland Security and Sessions when he was around. That is the minute today's market crumbled to dust with investors unwilling to hold over the weekend, simply deciding to get out and see if these dingdongs can get their act together by Monday or at any time AT ALL!

That is the real problem going forward. This Keystone Kops routine run out of the WH has gone on for so long that I no longer can blame any investor for determining that they simply cannot get out of their own way, that Trump's lack of Executive Ability and even his ability to staff an Executive is so appallingly bad that they may never get out of their own way.

Last edited:
But voters need to become more sophisticated and understand that the markets are cyclical. If we just keep blaming presidents for the ups and downs we'll be totally lost.

I want voters to kick Trump out not because we have a recession but because he lied to them when he claimed the corporate tax cuts would pay for themselves.

We need to totally bury this "voodoo economics" belief that tax cuts pay for themselves.

Tax cuts are not an expense, they should not be viewed as a cost, for they are a reduction in revenue. Tax cuts do not give something to corporations, its the act of taking less from them. They cannot logically be "paid for."

I don't need a leader. I don't care how much a politician lies, that is what they do by trade. I care about how good things are. I care about how much suffering there is, I want less suffering. Which is why it is so reprehensible that rich elite liberals like Bill Maher would welcome a recession/depression if it hurt Trump's presidency/campaign.

You are right that markets are cyclical. I always say that you shouldn't take credit for upswings unless you're willing to take the blame for downswings, and we are overdue for a recession.

Expecting voters to become more sophisticated and better educated on matters macroeconomic is a pipe dream. Voters believe what their social network and media of choice tell them. They only read the headlines, or what gets a lot of retweets and will avoid or even disparage any facts that go against their narrative or worldview.

That is just not going to happen. If that is what you are counting on for victory, prepare for disappointment.

The stock market was at 19,000 when Trump took office.Until it drops below that again don't worry about it.If it does we can blame Obama.This is still his economy the liberals keep telling us.

If the stock market continues to tank, invest in bonds, for example. Inflation is here. The fed is grappling with it (screwing the economy up even further).

If it rains, wear a raincoat and use an umbrella. If not raining, don't. This isn't difficult.

There are some folks who are vested in the Stock Market. Reporters, mainly. Those who invest realize there are always good vehicles to invest in. Maybe not the Stock Market or Money Market Funds at this time but there are other excellent vehicles to invest in. And one could hold onto your money and wait for the trough of the decline of the Stock Market and buy low and sell higher.

Last edited:
The stock market was at 19,000 when Trump took office.Until it drops below that again don't worry about it.If it does we can blame Obama.This is still his economy the liberals keep telling us.

It is BO's economy as long as it's successful. What did dems call BO's economy even though it was poor throughout? W. Bush's economy. Dems never take credit for the bad economy.

if he destroys the economy, they'll blame the other side, circle the wagons, and follow him all the way to starvation. what they value the most is that he pisses off liberals. he'll lose whatever independents he has left, though. independents generally don't like cults.

it might take an economic crash to flush the toilet. i hope that it doesn't come to that, as the last one set my career back almost a decade. i can't afford another one. i would prefer to see him voted out in 2020 without economic strife.

Back
Top Bottom