• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the governor of your state called up the militia would you show up?

• Yes, of course

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Hell no

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Say there was some emergency, a hurricane, civil unrest, floods.

Militias are why we have the Second Amendment.

It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops. Those who are best acquainted with the last successful resistance of this country against the British arms, will be most inclined to deny the possibility of it. Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. [Federalist 46]

If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist. [Federalist 29]

-- Hamilton

The guys who wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights argued for it in a series of papers called The Federalist Papers. Alexander Hamilton did the most writing with James Monroe coming in second.

They went on and on how a "well regulated militia" was better than the army.

And Hamilton states that the only thing that will stop a rogue US Army is the militia.

Clearly the founding fathers saw the militia as something that was necessary. It's why we have the Second Amendment.

Really all depends on the circumstances and what's being asked.. If you're talking something like the Cajun Navy and the need is shallow draft boats to help rescue people or move supplies then I think I would answer the call. If it's for minor policing roles after a disaster depending on the details I would have a long talk with my wife and determine what to do. If it's in military action agianst citizens then I doubt I would be really that agian depends on the specifics of what's going on

Would simply depend on the reasons, and how able the militia seemed with or without me vs and family obligations I have
For the right reasons, absolutely 🤷‍♂️

things have changed a lot for me so id be more willing, after 9/11 I was this close to enlisting in the marines. I talked to the recruited often, he knew me on site and we had everything worked out (waivers and what not)

the issue I could NOT get over was my dad already passed and I was a single parent with full sole custody . . . i thought about it long and hard and I could never bring myself to sit down with my mom and daughter and tell them dads leaving . . . just to big of an obstacle for me personally . . .

if my dad was still alive or I wasn't a single parent i would have

Do you think you have a choice ?

huh? obviously, i did have the choice since I made the choice not to go and leave my mom and kid. LOL

Hell no. I'd call the FBI. My governor is not to be trusted to do anything right.

(I'm kidding about that first part. But not the second.)

In her service or to oust her? I would be sure to be "well regulated" in either case.

Has the governor of your state called out the militia recently ?

what in the hell are you talking about? 😂
fact remains I had a choice and I made it, this fact wont change LMAO

what in the hell are you talking about? 😂
fact remains I had a choice and I made it, this fact wont change LMAO

Your state. The governor of it. Has he or she called out the militia recently ?

Because like it or not, if you are an able bodied male of military age, you're probably a member of it.

Your state. The governor of it. Has he or she called out the militia recently ?
Because like it or not, if you are an able bodied male of military age, you're probably a member of it.

what on gods green earth does that have to do with what YOU quoted? You quoted me talking about my choice not to join the Marines. 😂 . . .i in fact did have a choice and I made it. Let me know if theres any other mistakes of yours I can help you with, youre welcome LMAO

probably not. i'm not a fan of the governor or of sleeping outside in winter with a bunch of maskless wannabe hardasses.

what on gods green earth does that have to do with what YOU quoted? You quoted me talking about my choice not to join the Marines. 😂 . . .i in fact did have a choice and I made it. Let me know if theres any other mistakes of yours I can help you with, youre welcome LMAO

No, the militia...

"If the governor of your state called up the militia would you show up?"

No, the militia...

NO, YOU quoted my story about not going to the marines . . . again YOUR mistake LMAO now you can be honest and show integrity and admit that mistake or feel free to keep denying it exposing what your posts are really about. your choice. regardless it will remain your mistake LMAO

NO, YOU quoted my story about not going to the marines . . . again YOUR mistake LMAO now you can be honest and show integrity and admit that mistake or feel free to keep denying it exposing what your posts are really about. your choice. regardless it will remain your mistake LMAO

Nope, it was about service in the MILITIA

You know, the title of this thread.

Nope, it was about service in the MILITIA

You know, the title of this thread.

LMAO so you choose dishonesty and no integrity LMAO got it
nope you are still factually wrong, why lie?

would you like proof you are lying, ill gladly go back and quote it to further destroy your false claims and mistake, it will be fun 😂 its always fun exposing posts that are based on lies and or lack integrity

Back
Top Bottom