• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the government is shut down, we have a good oppertunity

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
If the government is shut down we have a great oppertunity to save billions. They say that all non-essential people will not report to work. If they are non-essential, why do they have jobs. Save the taxpayers all that money.

If the government is shut down we have a great oppertunity to save billions. They say that all non-essential people will not report to work. If they are non-essential, why do they have jobs. Save the taxpayers all that money.

If you cut off your arms and legs then you will lose weight. So why aren't overweight people doing this?

So much stupid in this post.....

Congratulations, you win the Motley Fool award today! You should feel proud.

No, shutting down the government actually will cost taxpayers quite a bit more.

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/04/08/will-a-government-shutdown-actually-save-money.asp

But just because workers are furloughed doesn't mean they'll go without pay. Once the government starts up again, most furloughed works will receive back pay for their time off. Bloomberg crunched the numbers and came up with a specific tab: $174 million per day the government is shut down. And this really is a cost, not just a reimbursement. Work that needs to get done (processing tax returns, issuing passports) piles up while employees are furloughed, creating a need for massive overtime once the government starts back up.

See, things like taking out the trash aren't essential from a national security perspective, but they are needed, as are many gov jobs.

You could have avoided embarrassing yourself with a simple internet search. Next time try a little harder.

As a former military officer who used to have to cover down on civilian “nonessential person” during shutdowns I can tell you that “nonessential” means you can “get by” without them for a short period of time, but not indefinitely. It isn’t essential that you change the oil in your car as soon as the light comes on. But the longer you go without doing it, the higher the odds of damage become.

Hmm... just remove all of the non-essential parts of your vehicle and you will save lots of fuel.

image.jpg

For instance we could get rid of the Dept of Ed and save the 12 BILLION DOLLAR cost of the employees there. Then give the states that 12 billion for their schools. They are over paid and under worked. They are the fools that came up with common core.

^
Someone has to spew this reeking idiocy each time the GOP plans to force a shutdown....

When conservatives talk about government being broken, they're BOASTING, not complaining.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Maybe modern conservativism as a ideology is broken

Unless you're a right wing anarchist. Then it's ideal.
They've had the last .... what is it...forty years?

They have had forty years to come up with an ideal replacement for this evil business of government. Witness what they have offered, and all of a sudden it becomes apparent that "Garbage IN = Garbage OUT" is the problem, and that all that's needed to fix government is to find better people, people who want to take pride in doing a good job.

But after forty years of this horse crap, it's pretty clear that the culture of government has been negatively affected, and that it's probably going to take some time to fix the cause of the problem.

But I assure you, forty years of nonstop attacks on government by right wing anarchists who want to OWN the government is no small problem. It's a big problem and it's going to require a herculean effort to deal with it.

Last edited:
Unless you're a right wing anarchist. Then it's ideal.

Aren’t the goals of anarchism and conservatives normally in conflict with eachother?

Conservativism has historically been an ideology that favors the continuation of the status quo and opposed any radical changes to that status quo. Anarchism at its core is a fundamental rejection of the status quo and any semblance of order.

If you cut off your arms and legs then you will lose weight. So why aren't overweight people doing this?

It's pretty tough to argue that arms and legs aren't essential.

^
Someone has to spew this reeking idiocy each time the GOP plans to force a shutdown....
Idiocy???????????????? Tell me that when little Susie has a math problem in the grade school not far from my house at 10:15 tomorrow morning, how the hell some under worked over paid b'crat in Washington is going to help her. ONLY that is ONLY the teacher in the class room can help her.

FACT the further from the class room a b'crat is the more useless they are, and b'crats in Washington are the furtherest away, and by far the most useless!

^

Idiocy???????????????? Tell me that when little Susie has a math problem in the grade school not far from my house at 10:15 tomorrow morning, how the hell some under worked over paid b'crat in Washington is going to help her. ONLY that is ONLY the teacher in the class room can help her.

FACT the further from the class room a b'crat is the more useless they are, and b'crats in Washington are the furtherest away, and by far the most useless!

Yes, idiocy.

/ˈidēəsē/

noun
extremely stupid behavior.

Look, I'm sure you can find an anarchist commune in some backwater forest if you really hate the concept of public services so much. But I really have had enough of this idiocy, which is indeed spewed by a certain subset every single time a shutdown looms. I bet that if I demand you pick ten different apartments you think are "non-essential" and explain why they are nonessential, I will be able to take some of the phrases you use, plug them into a google search, and find the right wing propaganda site you cribbed.

In other words, you don't know what counts as "non-essential" and what "non-essential" means specifically in regard to federal government services. It's just a respewing of the kind of anarchic foolishness that passes for far right conservative "thought," that any government is bad government.

Last edited:
Yes, idiocy.

/ˈidēəsē/

noun
extremely stupid behavior.

Look, I'm sure you can find an anarchist commune in some backwater forest if you really hate the concept of public services so much. But I really have had enough of this idiocy, which is indeed spewed by a certain subset every single time a shutdown looms. I bet that if I demand you pick ten different apartments you think are "non-essential" and explain why they are nonessential, I will be able to take some of the phrases you use, plug them into a google search, and find the right wing propaganda site you cribbed.

In other words, you don't know what counts as "non-essential" and what "non-essential" means specifically in regard to federal government services. It's just a respewing of the kind of anarchic foolishness that passes for far right conservative "thought"; that any government is bad government.

Im sorry I see you are from Mass.

They get paid for all the time they missed when they come back.

It's pretty tough to argue that arms and legs aren't essential.

You can get along without using them for a while. Most of us do so while we're sleeping, after all. That's the definition of "non essential:" you can get along without them for a while.

You do realize that the "l non-essential people" pay taxes, have bills to pay (like mortgages, car loans, day care for kids). If the shutdown goes very long, how do you think that will effect the economy?

For instance we could get rid of the Dept of Ed and save the 12 BILLION DOLLAR cost of the employees there. Then give the states that 12 billion for their schools. They are over paid and under worked. They are the fools that came up with common core.

Yep just what we need - more dumb people. When did having an education become such a bad thing??

Those fit the "essential limbs" exemption.

Back
Top Bottom