• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Republicans regain control of the House, will they abuse their subpoena power?

If Republicans regain control of the House, will they abuse their subpoena power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am applying the same moral standard to both parties. I think it is wrong in all cases.
My point is that the Democrats did have opportunity to go after Bush for useless and trumped up things like the GOP did with Clinton. So where you see tit for tat, I do not (personally, I think its because Republicans tend to have bigger balls than Democrats, not because of any greater morality, but a result of a different dialogue with their base and viewpoints). In either case, it would be a waste of taxpayer money that I would prefer to either have not be taxed or used for something that would be beneficial to the country.

Both parties want to grab and hold onto power,... there are ebbs and flows to how far and what they are willing to do to get it.

This technique is nothing new to American politics (Que: J.Edgar Hoover and his investigations),.... it simply seems so with the new media and in the midst of the internet and the "information age."

Both parties want to grab and hold onto power,... there are ebbs and flows to how far and what they are willing to do to get it.

This technique is nothing new to American politics (Que: J.Edgar Hoover and his investigations),.... it simply seems so with the new media and in the midst of the internet and the "information age."

I agree. You should see some of the things the FFs wrote about each other, it makes our politics look tame. But I still dislike immorality and I think it was an example of congress acting in a manner that is shameful.

I agree. You should see some of the things the FFs wrote about each other, it makes our politics look tame. But I still dislike immorality and I think it was an example of congress acting in a manner that is shameful.

I have heard them aired before.

I voted no because of the word "abuse." I think they will use it and liberals may call it abuse, but won't neccessarily mean it is abuse.

Thats great, but congress should have never gotten involved as it was a private matter between her and Clinton.

Right up until he lied under oath. And he should have said "I plead the fifth" or "mind your own damn business" ...not lie.

There was no reason for congress to get involved with whitewater either. :shrug: As you say, no smoke, no fire.

Really? In a very high profile case of sexual harrasment the defendent in the case under oath lied. It was KNOWN that he lied. So then congress should have sent the message that a PRESIDENT can lie under oath when being sued for exposing his dick to a staff worker and asking her to kiss it...but the average working class America should have to follow the rules?

Really? In a very high profile case of sexual harrasment the defendent in the case under oath lied. It was KNOWN that he lied. So then congress should have sent the message that a PRESIDENT can lie under oath when being sued for exposing his dick to a staff worker and asking her to kiss it...but the average working class America should have to follow the rules?

Vance, I was referring to the point before he lied under oath. Yeah, once he lied under oath, it is certainly congress's business.

And this isn't scarier then having a Democrat monopoly in the House, Senate, and Executive branch? Yeah we should fear Republicans regaining control because they might just abuse subpoena power. It's much better to have no checks and balances in the government and be ruled by 1 party that goes against the will of the people and will ram agenda down our throats while they still can.

Last edited:
And this isn't scarier then having a Democrat monopoly in the House, Senate, and Executive branch? Yeah we should fear Republicans regaining control because they might just abuse subpoena power. It much better to have no checks and balances in the government and be ruled by 1 party that goes against the will of the people and will ram agenda down our throats while they still can.

I dig sarcasm!

:peace

The Clinton impeachment was just one episode. Remember Filegate? Travelgate? All those independent counsels. I don't recall much value for the investment.

Excerpted from “Independent probes of Clinton Administration cost nearly $80 million,” CNN, April 1, 1999
[SIZE="+2"]B[/SIZE]esides [Independent Counsel Ken] Starr, five other independent counsels are currently conducting investigations. Four of those focus on the Clinton Administration. The combined costs of those four inquiries and the Starr probe now comes to $79.3 million.

Can you believe that the Cisneros probe was still on-going as late as 2006! Outcome Cisneros pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in 1999 for lying to investigators! As I recall he lied about a sexual affair he had with a woman not his wife.

Excerpted from “Inquiry on Clinton Official Ends With Accusations of Cover-Up” By DAVID JOHNSTON and NEIL A. LEWIS, The New York Times, Published: January 19, 2006
[SIZE="+2"]A[/SIZE]fter the longest independent counsel investigation in history, the prosecutor in the case of former Housing Secretary Henry G. Cisneros is finally closing his operation with a scathing report accusing Clinton administration officials of thwarting an inquiry into whether Mr. Cisneros evaded paying income taxes.

Former officials of the Justice Department and the I.R.S. dismissed Mr. Barrett's conclusions in appendices attached to the report, saying the findings were the product of an inquiry that was incompetently managed from the start.

After being indicted on 18 felony counts, Mr. Cisneros pleaded guilty in 1999 to a misdemeanor charge of lying to investigators. He was later pardoned by President Bill Clinton. …

The Clinton impeachment was just one episode. Remember Filegate? Travelgate? All those independent counsels. I don't recall much value for the investment.

Can you believe that the Cisneros probe was still on-going as late as 2006! Outcome Cisneros pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in 1999 for lying to investigators! As I recall he lied about a sexual affair he had with a woman not his wife.

So if George Bush works with congress to create protocols that make the country safer that is deemed a violation of peoples rights...whether you are impacted or not...but when the Clintons hired some uncleared thug and gave him access to some 600 classified FBI files...thats NOT worthy of an investigation?

I completely agree...witch hunts happen...both parties are guilty of them...and they are usually a dramatic waste of taxpayer dollars. But in cases where there are quite obvious violations, well...come one...SOMEONE has to ask a few questions...right?

… in cases where there are quite obvious violations, well...come one...SOMEONE has to ask a few questions...right?
Indeed. But, in the late 90s Republicans used endless investigations of the administration in lieu of legislative accomplishments. Given the absence of any real political agenda beyond being in power, Republicans will return to this strategy of distracting Americans with show trials and bizarre conspiracy theories.

Indeed. But, in the late 90s Republicans used endless investigations of the administration in lieu of legislative accomplishments. Given the absence of any real political agenda beyond being in power, Republicans will return to this strategy of distracting Americans with show trials and bizarre conspiracy theories.

They are already doing the bizarre conspiracy theories. Examples include Alinsky, Birtherism, Obama is a Muslim, etc.

I'm thinking the Tea Party incoming Tide is going to break that pattern up just a bit.

To which I AGREED (notice the comment re democrats AND republicans doing it). And you wont find me defending republicans for the stupid stuff. It cheapens the process when it is NEEDED.

They are already doing the bizarre conspiracy theories. Examples include Alinsky, Birtherism, Obama is a Muslim, etc.

Doncha think the whole birther thing would have been dealt with if they had produced a simple document...one we ALL have and have to produce when we get passports, marriage licenses, join the military, apply for jobs...etc?

Doncha think the whole birther thing would have been dealt with if they had produced a simple document...one we ALL have and have to produce when we get passports, marriage licenses, join the military, apply for jobs...etc?

I think it would have died down a little, but I am guess it would continue as some people simply refused to be convinced.

Doncha think the whole birther thing would have been dealt with if they had produced a simple document...

No. No, I don't. The document has been produced. Indeed, to suggest that Obama has not complied completely and honestly with all legal requirements is to fail to comprehend that this controversy has never been about a birth certificate at all. It's about the wrong person (in some people's minds) winning an election; or more specifically, it's about their side losing an election. It's all about denial. Birthers are fundamentally in denial that such a thing could happen. Producing one more document won't change anything with them.

I think it would have died down a little, but I am guess it would continue as some people simply refused to be convinced.

Sure...some folks will cling to conspiracy theories...and some people are always LOOKING for things to hate on. Agreed.

No. No, I don't. The document has been produced. Indeed, to suggest that Obama has not complied completely and honestly with all legal requirements is to fail to comprehend that this controversy has never been about a birth certificate at all. It's about the wrong person (in some people's minds) winning an election; or more specifically, it's about their side losing an election. It's all about denial. Birthers are fundamentally in denial that such a thing could happen. Producing one more document won't change anything with them.

Come on chappy...be HONEST. They refused ANYTHING for a year...and then produced NOT a birth certificate but a certificate of live birth. I think a LOT of people see smoke they assume fire.

I dont think he was the right guy for the job. I dont CARE about the birth certificate issue only because at some point you have to be smart enough to recognize what matters and what doesnt. While it may be relevant to some if he was born in Hawaii or Kenya, what is relevant to me is if it will ultimately make a difference. I determined that they could produce a video of his live birth IN Kenya and it wouldnt matter to the people on the left...and it wasnt going to change anything...so...move on.

And I AGREE with you...some people would NEVER be convinced if he actually produced or authorized to be produced the original certificate. Just like some people are not convinced even though there has never been a complete vote recount that showed Gore actually WON the election so they claim Bush STOLE the presidency, or people that SEE VIDEO of two big ass planes slamming into the twin towers but still claim George Bush...the guy they think is the stupidest man in the world...managed to set up events to bring down the towers 8 months after his election so he could avenge an attempt on his dads life...

Yeah...THOSE people are everywhere...

Come on chappy...be HONEST. They refused ANYTHING for a year...and then produced NOT a birth certificate but a certificate of live birth. I think a LOT of people see smoke they assume fire. …

Oh, I didn't know your views. I'm so sorry … I had no idea …

/me moves on to useful conversations

Last edited:
Come on chappy...be HONEST. They refused ANYTHING for a year...and then produced NOT a birth certificate but a certificate of live birth. I think a LOT of people see smoke they assume fire.

I dont think he was the right guy for the job. I dont CARE about the birth certificate issue only because at some point you have to be smart enough to recognize what matters and what doesnt. While it may be relevant to some if he was born in Hawaii or Kenya, what is relevant to me is if it will ultimately make a difference. I determined that they could produce a video of his live birth IN Kenya and it wouldnt matter to the people on the left...and it wasnt going to change anything...so...move on.

And I AGREE with you...some people would NEVER be convinced if he actually produced or authorized to be produced the original certificate. Just like some people are not convinced even though there has never been a complete vote recount that showed Gore actually WON the election so they claim Bush STOLE the presidency, or people that SEE VIDEO of two big ass planes slamming into the twin towers but still claim George Bush...the guy they think is the stupidest man in the world...managed to set up events to bring down the towers 8 months after his election so he could avenge an attempt on his dads life...

Yeah...THOSE people are everywhere...

I simply wanted our elected officials in the House and Senate to take the Constitutional requirements serious enough for one day to say "yeah,... let's have a look at this guys prerequisites."

But shame on me for expecting the requirements for the role of President of my country to be scrutinized and enforced to the letter.

More Republican witch hunts? Impeaching the president shortly after Al Qaeda attacks in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Disturbing memories. it could happen again.

And, today we finally heard the agenda of the far right wing of the Republican Party if and when they regain power.

That's all they'll do. We've been through that before and the country was not well served.

More Republican witch hunts? Impeaching the president shortly after Al Qaeda attacks in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Disturbing memories. it could happen again.

Of course they will....But it's not like Dems havent done the same.

That's all they'll do. We've been through that before and the country was not well served.

You mean like what the House Dems did with the Bush attorney "Scandal".....Seems to me the demonized Bush pretty hard for those firings and after two years of investigation they quietly drop it.

Back
Top Bottom