• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If prostitution were legal...

If prostitution were legal... would pimps be "necessary"?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Please note that "necessary" is in quotes.

I say no.But just like plumbing, electrician, technicians,janitorial and other trades there will be people who work for the themselves and there will be companies that hire groups of these people or there will be temp agencies to 'help' you find work or contract your services out.

This is an empirical question that can be answered by looking at jurisdictions where prostitution is already legal.

I voted Other.

Not every prostitute has a pimp. So, obviously, they aren't necessary now.

First, while our impression of pimps is that they're evil users who enslave their stable, I think that many times they're real safety nets for working girls. So, in that respect, I think some similar organization would probably just happen. Though I do think that the prostitutes engaging their services would be in a better position to negotiate the split.

Secondly, I think there'd still be guys pimping prostitutes -- enslaving them through drug addiction and fear -- whether prostitution is legal or not.

I voted Other.

Not every prostitute has a pimp. So, obviously, they aren't necessary now.

First, while our impression of pimps is that they're evil users who enslave their stable, I think that many times they're real safety nets for working girls. So, in that respect, I think some similar organization would probably just happen. Though I do think that the prostitutes engaging their services would be in a better position to negotiate the split.

Secondly, I think there'd still be guys pimping prostitutes -- enslaving them through drug addiction and fear -- whether prostitution is legal or not.

I always thought if I ever gpt desperate enough that I had to steal, i'd rob pimps. Karma free.

Yeah we can just look at how it is in Germany. Everything is in the light and well regulated. It's more like a business. There are independent ones too you can call in the phone book.

I always thought if I ever gpt desperate enough that I had to steal, i'd rob pimps. Karma free.

That's a terrible idea. A pimp is going to be armed and probably around some other shady characters. If you're hungry and desperate you'll probably have a lot harder time taking him on than robbing someone weaker.

Prostitution is legal in Nevada where I live, but we have pimps that bring streetwalkers over here from California. Many have AIDS, this is posted when they're arrested.

Yeah we can just look at how it is in Germany. Everything is in the light and well regulated. It's more like a business. There are independent ones too you can call in the phone book.

That's a terrible idea. A pimp is going to be armed and probably around some other shady characters. If you're hungry and desperate you'll probably have a lot harder time taking him on than robbing someone weaker.

And even if he's successful chances are the guy has a lot of friends who wouldn't be too happy.

I would say no. I think it would be cleaner and safer, also it would cut down on a lot of the illegal activities associated with it if it was legalized and I'm all for the legalization of prostitution. Let's face, it's not going to just stop. It's the world's oldest profession. :lol:

I think we need to open the discussion with your definition of "pimp." Are we talking about the kind of animal that uses brute force and drug addiction to control his "charges," or are we talking about someone who would in fact behave as a combination manager and security firm?

The war on prostitution is as useless and wasteful as the war on drugs.

The war on prostitution is as useless and wasteful as the war on drugs.

That's because we're attacking the victims instead of the problem. We should be trying to arrest and prosecute the johns, not the prostitutes.

That's because we're attacking the victims instead of the problem. We should be trying to arrest and prosecute the johns, not the prostitutes.

Prostitution won't stop if you take out the johns. There are always going to be women who will sell their bodies if they need the money and men who will buy them.

This probably has to do with a lot of government corruption too.

It has to do with a lot of things. According to the researchers government corruption isn't viewed as a major contributing factor. Did you read the Spiegel article?

It has to be done right with strict regulations.

Well, so far no one seems to have been able to find the "right regulations". Quite simply, the theory that legalizing prostitution will fix many of the problems associated with it and improve conditions for prostitutes hasn't borne out in reality.

Quite true

If you want to make drug use drop, prostitution use drop, target the users, not the suppliers. If there is a demand for something someone somewhere will supply it if the money is good enough. Make the non monetary costs of demand increase, the actual demand will drop, and so will the supply

Empirically, this is probably the best route - as Sweden has shown.

Prostitution won't stop if you take out the johns. There are always going to be women who will sell their bodies if they need the money and men who will buy them.

That's true on some level - it is after all the world's oldest profession and will be for quite some time.

But that doesn't mean we can't reduce the number of women who are abused or forced into it against their will.

That's true on some level - it is after all the world's oldest profession and will be for quite some time.

But that doesn't mean we can't reduce the number of women who are abused or forced into it against their will.

IMO, the only way to do that is regulation. Right now abused women are apprehensive about getting help because prostitution is illegal, and they WILL be charged for it.

IMO, the only way to do that is regulation. Right now abused women are apprehensive about getting help because prostitution is illegal, and they WILL be charged for it.

The reasons trafficked women don't get out when the opportunity appears to be there are complicated.

I agree that prostitutes should not be prosecuted - this is what Korimyr was just talking about. In Sweden they legalized selling sex, but criminalized buying sex or pimping it. That approach has shown a lot of success in reducing prostitution and sex trafficking.

Quite true

If you want to make drug use drop, prostitution use drop, target the users, not the suppliers. If there is a demand for something someone somewhere will supply it if the money is good enough. Make the non monetary costs of demand increase, the actual demand will drop, and so will the supply

That's one of the primary underlying problems with outright legalization too. Removing the threat of punishment for buying a hooker increases demand. If the increase in demand outpaces the increase in supply (the number of women willing to prostitute voluntarily), legalization can actually lead to INCREASED trafficking and abuse. Which is what appears to be happening among nations that have legalization.

The reasons trafficked women don't get out when the opportunity appears to be there are complicated.

I agree that prostitutes should not be prosecuted - this is what Korimyr was just talking about. In Sweden they legalized selling sex, but criminalized buying sex or pimping it. That approach has shown a lot of success in reducing prostitution and sex trafficking.

We already do that here though, buying and selling prostitutes is already illegal here and it hasn't done a bit of good. Women who want to sell their bodies are going to do it and men are going to buy what they're selling.

Back
Top Bottom