• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If president trump declares a national emergency so he can keep his campaign promise...

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If president trump declares a national emergency so he can keep his campaign promise I would like to make a suggestion. The confederate statues that have come down, put them on top of the wall. That should scare any potential border jumpers to turn around and go back.

I say please, please, pleeeaaasseee Trump, arbitrarily declare a national emergency to just bypass congress and unilaterally enforce your agenda. Opening that box may be bad now, but just think of all the super fun liberal things we can do with this same tactic when the pendulum inevitably swings the other way in 2020 or 2024. Any time the GOP tries to stop us in congress we could just bypass congress!

Healthcare issues? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from defense to reforming our system and creating affordable universal healthcare!
Climate change? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from conservative programs to the EPA and showering green companies with subsidies!
Teen pregnancy? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from ICE and border security to fund free abortions!

Then every year when the government tries to pass a budget we can hold the entire thing hostage unless we get our special liberal programs passed. There are just so many fun new tricks we're going to get to use, the possibilities are limitless, so think about that conservatives.

Last edited:
I say please, please, pleeeaaasseee Trump, arbitrarily declare a national emergency to just bypass congress and unilaterally enforce your agenda. Opening that box may be bad now, but just think of all the super fun liberal things we can do with this same tactic when the pendulum inevitably swings the other way in 2020 or 2024. Any time the GOP tries to stop us in congress we could just bypass congress!

Healthcare issues? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from defense to reforming our system and creating affordable universal healthcare!
Climate change? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from conservative programs to the EPA and showering green companies with subsidies!
Teen pregnancy? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from ICE and border security to fund free abortions!

Then every year when the government tries to pass a budget we can hold the entire thing hostage unless we get our special liberal programs passed. There are just so many fun new tricks we're going to get to use, the possibilities are limitless, so think about that conservatives.

The pendulum will never swing the other way. Trump is President for Life and when he dies, he'll pass it on to Ivanka.

I wholeheartedly agree, bring it on declare an emergency. It would be the usual knee jerk reaction to things the right doesn't like.

Ready, fire, aim!

If president trump declares a national emergency so he can keep his campaign promise I would like to make a suggestion. The confederate statues that have come down, put them on top of the wall. That should scare any potential border jumpers to turn around and go back.

Trump won't declare a national emergency to keep a campaign promise. He will declare a national emergency because that will be the only way he is able to resolve the humanitarian/security crisis at our southern border.

But hey...if you think it'll help to put confederate statues on the wall he's going to build...if you think that'll help...you should send Trump a letter with that suggestion.

Trump won't declare a national emergency to keep a campaign promise. He will declare a national emergency because that will be the only way he is able to resolve the humanitarian/security crisis at our southern border.

But hey...if you think it'll help to put confederate statues on the wall he's going to build...if you think that'll help...you should send Trump a letter with that suggestion.

Ah yes, this brand new "humanitarian and security crisis" at our southern border. I think it's beyond a little hilarious that you're pretending to care about the humanity of illegal immigrants or that a wall that will take many years to build is the solution to it.

Oh yes, now I remember. Trump spent the entire summer of 2016 decrying the humanitarian crisis at the border. It was virtually all he talked about on the campaign trail. It drove the Trump supporters to the polls by the millions.

And now, because the Dems don't care about this crisis and won't fund the single most important and efficient solution to the crisis, Trump will have to declare a national emergency in order to deal with the crisis.

All kidding aside, if Trump can convince the courts that it is within his purview to bypass Congress in order to advance his political agenda, the great American experiment is over. We had a good run.

Mass shootings out of control, over-ride the 2nd amendment and ban all guns.

When, in your mind, did this "emergency" or "crisis" start ?

If there was an "emergency" when Trump was campaigning 2 and a half years ago...why wait to declare one ?

Do you call that leadership ?

Would FDR have waited 2.5 years before striking back at Japan after Pearl Harbor had Congress not declared war ?

Perhaps Trump and his supporters have a different definition (that is if you believe words have definitions) to the word "emergency".

I say please, please, pleeeaaasseee Trump, arbitrarily declare a national emergency to just bypass congress and unilaterally enforce your agenda.

There are statutes, including a statute pertaining to immigration, passed by Congress, in which Congress delegated emergency powers to the Executive. Those statutes, unfortunately, perhaps as unfortunate as their existence, contain language giving the President broad discretion to declare a national emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will set a bad precedent.

Oh yes, now I remember. Trump spent the entire summer of 2016 decrying the humanitarian crisis at the border. It was virtually all he talked about on the campaign trail. It drove the Trump supporters to the polls by the millions.

And now, because the Dems don't care about this crisis and won't fund the single most important and efficient solution to the crisis, Trump will have to declare a national emergency in order to deal with the crisis.

All kidding aside, if Trump can convince the courts that it is within his purview to bypass Congress in order to advance his political agenda, the great American experiment is over. We had a good run.

“Bypass Congress”? Trump would be invoking statutes passed by Congress vesting to him power to declare a national emergency.

a future president could also choose to tear down the ego wall by using a "national emergency" if the precedence is set.

the silver lining in the debacle that is the Trump presidency is that congress now knows the loopholes that a rogue president might use to abuse power. if the Trumpists lose the presidency and the Senate, closing loopholes should be a top priority.

I say please, please, pleeeaaasseee Trump, arbitrarily declare a national emergency to just bypass congress and unilaterally enforce your agenda. Opening that box may be bad now, but just think of all the super fun liberal things we can do with this same tactic when the pendulum inevitably swings the other way in 2020 or 2024.

Ya'll already pulled that **** with Obamacare, where the ruling specifically stated that the government doesn't have the authority to do such a thing but they could pass a fine...I mean "tax"...to hit people who don't comply. So Republicans should just put a fine...I mean "tax" on anyone performing or getting an abortion or something.

Then maybe people would understand what a horrible move that was as well.

a future president could also choose to tear down the ego wall by using a "national emergency" if the precedence is set.

the silver lining in the debacle that is the Trump presidency is that congress now knows the loopholes that a rogue president might use to abuse power. if the Trumpists lose the presidency and the Senate, closing loopholes should be a top priority.

Codifying a boundary between the White House and the DOJ is a big priority, as I see it. As it turns out, the only thing stopping a President from turning the DOJ into his own personal lawyer and attack dog was a pinkie promise.

There are statutes, including a statute pertaining to immigration, passed by Congress, in which Congress delegated emergency powers to the Executive. Those statutes, unfortunately, perhaps as unfortunate as their existence, contain language giving the President broad discretion to declare a national emergency.

And our courts always have the option of declaring abuse of power and nullifying the Presidents declaration. A Presidents discretion is always limited by the courts.

Codifying a boundary between the White House and the DOJ is a big priority, as I see it. As it turns out, the only thing stopping a President from turning the DOJ into his own personal lawyer and attack dog was a pinkie promise.

good idea.

Ya'll already pulled that **** with Obamacare, where the ruling specifically stated that the government doesn't have the authority to do such a thing but they could pass a fine...I mean "tax"...to hit people who don't comply. So Republicans should just put a fine...I mean "tax" on anyone performing or getting an abortion or something.

Yes the horror of 20 million more people with healthcare coverage must be stopped at all costs. It is so much better to place the costs of the uninsured on those who already have coverage. What is an extra 25% on every policy when are costs are already so low.

Yes the horror of 20 million more people with healthcare coverage must be stopped at all costs. It is so much better to place the costs of the uninsured on those who already have coverage.

Your obvious lack of concern over using very dangerous methods to pass something so long as it's you support is noted.

Confederate statues? Not by a longshot. Perhaps if you put signs saying "Putin rules here. Russia welcomes you" it might do better. No one seems to be rushing to go to Russia.

Ah yes, this brand new "humanitarian and security crisis" at our southern border. I think it's beyond a little hilarious that you're pretending to care about the humanity of illegal immigrants or that a wall that will take many years to build is the solution to it.

What makes you think it's "brand new"?

Anyway, don't YOU care about women who get raped or killed by the people she pays to get her across the border?

Why does it matter how long it'll take? The results will begin when the first section of wall in put in place and will increase steadily from then on. Not taking the first step will only prevent a solution.

Confederate statues? Not by a longshot. Perhaps if you put signs saying "Putin rules here. Russia welcomes you" it might do better. No one seems to be rushing to go to Russia.

Good point.

Your obvious lack of concern over using very dangerous methods to pass something so long as it's you support is noted.

I will be waiting for your check to cover my HC costs since you do not want mandatory coverage. It's only fair that you foot the bill.

Oh my gawd, the thought of everyone having health care for a small contribution by everyone (even if healthy now) is so scary. Consider that just 4.3% of the population will remain healthy all of their lives, meaning that at some point everyone will need Health Insurance and given how expensive it is to get Health Insurance without a program like Obamacare, the reality is that paying for health insurance from the beginning of your adult life (even if healthy) is probably cheaper than having expensive insurance when you need it. In addition, the expensive of being sick and not being covered because you have a pre-existing condition, is frightening and likely leads to your early death.

Obamacare is a good program though it needs to be tweaked. Everyone should pay something for the future. It is like paying for your economic retirement when young. If you do, you retire well, if you don't you struggle in your retirement years. Same thing should be applied to Health Care.

When, in your mind, did this "emergency" or "crisis" start ?

I think it's been ongoing for a very long time. Decades.

If there was an "emergency" when Trump was campaigning 2 and a half years ago...why wait to declare one ?

Well, when he was campaigning, he wasn't yet President. Since he became President, he's been constantly trying to get Congress to do their job and appropriate the money needed to deal with the crisis. He has now reached a point when it's clear to him...and to the public...that Congress isn't going to do their job. It's time for other actions to deal with the crisis.

Do you call that leadership ?

Yes, I DO call that leadership.

Would FDR have waited 2.5 years before striking back at Japan after Pearl Harbor had Congress not declared war ?

Congress didn't wait 2.5 years to declare war. They did their job immediately and without question.

Perhaps Trump and his supporters have a different definition (that is if you believe words have definitions) to the word "emergency".

Or, perhaps YOU have a different definition of the word, "emergency".

Back
Top Bottom