• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Northam wont resign

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
If Northam wont resign democrat lose. No longer will they falsely be able to accuse republicans of being racist. The DNC may have to turn him over to Hillary and her kil uh followers and see if Northam doesnt commit suicide.

What's most surprising about this is that up until last October, prior to the election, the minute this came out there would have been a "bombshell" Trump story that was leaked and took over the news cycle thus giving Northam some cover. I really can't understand why that hasn't happened in this case. It can't be that the Democrats are out of ammunition on Trump. They MUST have something they want to drop on him. It also makes no sense that the Democrats would allow this thing to stay in the news cycle. Even if they don't have anything to drop on Trump there must be something else they could use as a distraction.

Either that or they are just so confident that no matter what people in their party might say or do they'll still take 2020 in a landslide.

He may not have a choice, the current political and social climate suggests he resign. The problem is other Democrats are telling him to resign, but that does not alleviate that if this happens to the next Republican then Democrats will come off hypocritical.

If Northam wont resign democrat lose. No longer will they falsely be able to accuse republicans of being racist. The DNC may have to turn him over to Hillary and her kil uh followers and see if Northam doesnt commit suicide.

The Mob will get him!!

tarred and feathered.jpg

kak tvoi dela. Kil uh? What language is that?

What's most surprising about this is that up until last October, prior to the election, the minute this came out there would have been a "bombshell" Trump story that was leaked and took over the news cycle thus giving Northam some cover. I really can't understand why that hasn't happened in this case. It can't be that the Democrats are out of ammunition on Trump. They MUST have something they want to drop on him. It also makes no sense that the Democrats would allow this thing to stay in the news cycle. Even if they don't have anything to drop on Trump there must be something else they could use as a distraction.

Either that or they are just so confident that no matter what people in their party might say or do they'll still take 2020 in a landslide.

The Democrats en masse are calling for Northam to resign. They don't need a Trump story to cover anything. It's in the news cycle because they want him gone. What distraction, and why?

Inaugural Committee.

Because then Ed Gillespie might well be the Governor of Virginia....

He may not have a choice, the current political and social climate suggests he resign. The problem is other Democrats are telling him to resign, but that does not alleviate that if this happens to the next Republican then Democrats will come off hypocritical.

Interesting problem. There's little the Democrats can do if Northam decides not to resign, decides to stay. Northam was duly elected, broke no laws as governor. I don't think impeachment is a possibility either. Can an elected official be impeached for a youthful indiscretion 35 years after the fact. That youthful indiscretion broke no laws, wasn't even illegal outside of being in very bad taste.

People change over time, I'm not the same person I was 35 years ago. My thought process is different, many of my political views are different. I live my life differently. How has Northam lived his since then? Has he been a good governor? Has he worked for equal opportunity and minority rights since then?

If the Democrats can forgive Robert Byrd being a KKK grand wizard and make him their senate majority leaders, that's a lot worse than what Northam did. I do think this is all about political expediency. If the people of Virginia deem what Northam did 35 years ago deems his removal from office, let them start a recall petition.

I don't care if Northam stays or goes. I do however have a problem digging up something 35 years in the past and using it to force an elected official out of office. Like I said, people change. If the folks in Virginia want him gone, then let them take the proper steps.

Interesting problem. There's little the Democrats can do if Northam decides not to resign, decides to stay. Northam was duly elected, broke no laws as governor. I don't think impeachment is a possibility either. Can an elected official be impeached for a youthful indiscretion 35 years after the fact. That youthful indiscretion broke no laws, wasn't even illegal outside of being in very bad taste.

People change over time, I'm not the same person I was 35 years ago. My thought process is different, many of my political views are different. I live my life differently. How has Northam lived his since then? Has he been a good governor? Has he worked for equal opportunity and minority rights since then?

If the Democrats can forgive Robert Byrd being a KKK grand wizard and make him their senate majority leaders, that's a lot worse than what Northam did. I do think this is all about political expediency. If the people of Virginia deem what Northam did 35 years ago deems his removal from office, let them start a recall petition.

I don't care if Northam stays or goes. I do however have a problem digging up something 35 years in the past and using it to force an elected official out of office. Like I said, people change. If the folks in Virginia want him gone, then let them take the proper steps.

Maybe Virginia has it correct, with a one-term limit for Governor. Not running for re-election the day after election and not doing your job worrying about the latest poll seems to have worked for them.

The longer Northam stays in office, the broader its stain on all Democrats, using the same logic of typical Democrats.
Turn about being fair play and all.

Has anyone noticed the sexual assault accusation against Lieutenant Governor Fairfax?
The woman accuser has all the facts and particulars, and Fairfax even admitted they had sex, just disagree as to whether it was consensual or not.

With fewer facts and less veracity than this, Kavanaugh was splayed all over the media. Reporting on this? Hardly a peep. Might it be because one was conservative and the other a Democrat?

All illusions and all claims of a fair even handed, and non-biased press just went poof!
#JournalismIsDead

Maybe Virginia has it correct, with a one-term limit for Governor. Not running for re-election the day after election and not doing your job worrying about the latest poll seems to have worked for them.

Howdy Linc, I don't know. I've always been the opposite. But if Virginia wants it that way, I'm fine with it. I have a problem just limiting the top executive and not other elected offices if a state decides to do that. One term for governor, then one term for every other elected office in the state. Fair is fair.

I've always been of a mind that if one likes his governor, likes his state representative, senator or even nationally, if one wants them for another term or two or three, they should have that choice or chance. Either limit the president to two terms along with every senator and representative or do away with the 22nd Amendment. If those in congress can serve unlimited terms, so too should the president be able to do the same.

Without limiting the president to two terms, only one president I can think of might have successfully ran for a third term and won, Obama. IKE, he had a couple of heart attacks, his health prohibited him, he wouldn't have ran. Reagan, Alzheimer, he wouldn't have ran either for a third term. Although, I sure if either ran for a third term, they would have won it. Bill Clinton, unlike IKE and Ronnie he was in good health. But his sexcapades among other things probably would have lead to defeat. Then again, perhaps he would have won against G.W. He certainly was popular enough. Even so, I think most Americans were tired of him and wanted someone new. Obama against Trump, no contest, Obama easily. I would have even voted for Obama.

And where would we have been without FDR if he had been term limited to two terms. 1940 would have been it for him. Can you imagine Wendell Wilkie assuming office in March of 1941? I haven't the faintest idea of who would have been the Democratic candidate. Garner, Farley? History certainly would have been different.

Northam has two problems:
1) Never mind 35 years ago...never mind 1984. Northam has proved himself completely oblivious to his own racial issues and to the effect institutionalized white privilege has had on him and his perspective in 2019 in a state steeped in racial issues. Dems in Virginia do not have any use for a Governor that is this obvious. Northam has literally told us that whether he was in that photo or not, none of the behavior exhibited in that photo was entirely out of character for him. The issue is not whether he is or is not in the photo. The issue is his initial reaction was to assume he was and to apologize. His next instinct was to present an example of just why he does not get it AS PART OF HIS DEFENSE!
2) How does he lead his state Democrat party from this day forward? Who wants to share the dais with him in an election year for state seats in Virginia? Who wants his endorsement? Who wants to explain why they accepted money from his PAC in this an election year in Virginia.

I simply have no idea what he is doing at this point. His 2019 blunders make his 1984 blunders pale by comparison. Wake up Ralph Northam.

Northam has two problems:
1) Never mind 35 years ago...never mind 1984. Northam has proved himself completely oblivious to his own racial issues and to the effect institutionalized white privilege has had on him and his perspective in 2019 in a state steeped in racial issues. Dems in Virginia do not have any use for a Governor that is this obvious. Northam has literally told us that whether he was in that photo or not, none of the behavior exhibited in that photo was entirely out of character for him. The issue is not whether he is or is not in the photo. The issue is his initial reaction was to assume he was and to apologize. His next instinct was to present an example of just why he does not get it AS PART OF HIS DEFENSE!
2) How does he lead his state Democrat party from this day forward? Who wants to share the dais with him in an election year for state seats in Virginia? Who wants his endorsement? Who wants to explain why they accepted money from his PAC in this an election year in Virginia.

I simply have no idea what he is doing at this point. His 2019 blunders make his 1984 blunders pale by comparison. Wake up Ralph Northam.

Good points. I don't think any other Democrat in Virginia will want anything to do with him. That being said, unless Northam resigns, they can't force him too. It's kind of funny that during the campaign, Northam tried to paint his opponent, Ed Gillespie as the racist.

I think sooner or later Northam will get the hint and resign. Heck, even Nixon resigned. If he doesn't, I do think the Democratic Party's hands are tied. They can't expel him from the party, they can bar him from events and from receiving money from the DNC and Democratic Party. But one decides whom they are by saying so and by registering to vote as a Republican, democrat or independent. I don't know if Virginia has party registration or not. We don't in Georgia.

If Virginia does have party registration, as long as he is a registered Democrat, that is what he is. Yes, his initial response was certainly weak. Like it wasn't a big thing. Back in 1984, it probably wasn't. These are certainly different times we live in today. I still don't like digging up things from 35-40 years ago to force someone from office. That is if they have changed. Perhaps Northam hasn't, I don't know.

I do believe it would be better for all concerned if Northam did resign, to include for himself and his family. He will go through Hades until he does. If he doesn't, he'll have out Nixon'ed Nixon.

Democrats won't have Northam, and now he's considering switching to Independent.

Back
Top Bottom