• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If most of the world agrees putin is committing war crimes, why are we not doing more like actually confronting him with military force?

If most of the world agrees putin is committing war crimes, why are we not doing more like actually confronting him with military force?​

Well, for one reason, it isn't our job. War crimes are committed all over the world, all the time by militant forces in other places where we don't intervene. They just aren't on your daily news feed 24/7 like Ukraine is. Should we be militarily intervening in every country where war crimes are being committed? How do you see that working out? Should we be attacking China, Myanmar, Chad, . . . . . . . .
Should one man with nukes be able to hold the whole world hostage?
He isn't. He is isolated, depleted, under siege from all quarters and under the strictest sanctions anyone has ever faced.
What if he decides to invade poland,
That's entirely different. Then he's declaring war on NATO and he'll reap the consequences of that.
does the whole nuke thing just go out the window because poland is a part of nato?
That's up to him. NATO has a very strong self defense pact, and there's no reason to expect them to not honor it. NATO has at least two of its own nuclear powers he would have to contend with.
At what point is it time to stop him?
???? Along with the Ukrainians, we are stopping him - quite effectively, and in the best possible way. Being multilaterally in our support, our sanctions, our weapon sharing, and our intelligence sharing.

Last edited:
NATO members respond if a member nation is attacked and invokes Article 5 of the charter. Again READ THE DOCUMENT.
Ukraine is not a NATO member. Maybe you should read the document again.

Should one man with nukes be able to hold the whole world hostage? What if he decides to invade poland, does the whole nuke thing just go out the window because poland is a part of nato?

When he invaded a NATO country we can have that discussion.

Should one man with nukes be able to hold the whole world hostage? What if he decides to invade poland, does the whole nuke thing just go out the window because poland is a part of NATO?

No, a man with nukes should not be able to hold the whole world hostage.
However unless we are aiming to see a nuclear weapon detonated over London or Berlin ... the man with nukes is pretty free to do what he likes.

And yes, the red line is Russia choosing to invade or attack a NATO country. At that point, 10 million deaths and the destruction of major cities is a sunk cost and NATO would be free to act militarily.

If you have an armed robbery with a hostage situation- which is basically what Putin is doing in Ukraine- it's not wise to immediately just go in there with all guns blazing, as tempting as it might be.

How many years was it before the war criminals in Serbia were arrested for their war crimes? It took a while, if I recall correctly; and they didn't even have nukes.

GWB is still free despite war crimes and that is 20 years now

Ukraine is not a NATO member. Maybe you should read the document again.
What is your point. You are trolling now.

Here copied is the post you responded to:
Should one man with nukes be able to hold the whole world hostage? What if he decides to invade poland, does the whole nuke thing just go out the window because poland is a part of nato?

Its actually the OP of this thread. To which you responded:
Ask the UK, France and Germany. It's in their backyards and they have to funds to fight if they want. The USA doesn't need to fight this war.

Because I don't wanna glow green to protect Biden's personal piggy bank

Does most of the world agree with that?

Are our NATO members fighting a war? If they do, we should aid them. Currently, they aren't, yet people are clamoring for the US to go over there and fight FOR them not WITH them.
I guess it depends on what you interpret as "we" in the title. I got the impression "we" meant NATO, not just the US.

Yes if he invaded his Poland the whole nuke thing goes out the window. Poland was made promises and had to make promises when it joined NATO
Wasn’t there a security guarantee agreed to when Ukraine surrendered their nuclear weapons back in the mid 1990s?

Edit: Pretty good article from earlier this year, “assurance” and “guarantee” are not similar in any way?

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you interpret as "we" in the title. I got the impression "we" meant NATO, not just the US.
There is no interpretation required. Read post 32 of this thread including what is in the quote boxes.

Lol cardinal, we are already having every discussion of every what if already. I sure do hope somebody in nato is discussing it beforehand.
WE ARE...that does not mean NATO is. WE have nothing better to do.

Ummm... First you need some leaders who have balls.
Why are you surprised about Mycroft's flip-flop?

Conservatism is all about respect for authority, loyalty, obedience, and order. That's why conservative voters show up at the polls and vote for the (R) without fail, even if the (R) is some egregious criminal or unbelievable idiot. If a conservative leader changes his or her mind; the entire lot of them will do an immediate flip-flop concerning their political positions with zero regrets and zero memory of what they just said.

Very different than free-wheeling liberals who will find a hill to die on at the slightest inconvenience and refuse to vote for anyone who they are not doe-eyed in love with.

Lol cardinal, we are already having every discussion of every what if already. I sure do hope somebody in nato is discussing it beforehand.
My point is that while your hypothetical is fine to discussion, it’s not a hypothetical that’s meaningfully closer to reality based on what’s happened. I get that Putin’s bluster has made this discussion seem more pertinent now, but for all that bluster he has (for now) observed the old rules of the Cold War.

The thing that’s different is an invasion over imperialist motives, something not seen since after the Cold War. What makes it especially appalling is that it’s an invasion of a democratic country, highlighting an attack on freedom by a despotic nation. But…to the point of conflict with NATO in particular, we’re not there (knocks on wood).

GWB is still free despite war crimes and that is 20 years now
Shhh, that's a part of american history we can't talk about because it might make someone feel badly that when we want something in a foreign country bad enough, we have no qualms using military force to get it, like bananas.

PFFFFFFT.

I'm not being held hostage at all.
Right now I'm having some breakfast, gotta lot of fat in this one but I eat oatmeal and fruit 98% of breakfasts so I'm indulging today.
Then the dog Geddy and I are going to go to town and hit the grocery store, gotta get my corned beef brisket for tomorrow! I make my famous Reuben's every St Pats, sauerkraut and some nice thousand island and marbled rye. Looking forward to it.
Got a doctors appointment this afternoon, I think it will be warm enough to take the Harley! Sun is really shining out there, supposed to be 69º and sunny so hell yeah I'll take the Harley! Thankfully I have my free BidenCare™ plan so no worries there.
Tomorrow gonna get up and throw that brisket in the crock pot I can smell it already!

Now....you were saying something about "being held hostage"....what are you talking about there? Where is this happening at?

My point is that while your hypothetical is fine to discussion, it’s not a hypothetical that’s meaningfully closer to reality based on what’s happened. I get that Putin’s bluster has made this discussion seem more pertinent now, but for all that bluster he has (for now) observed the old rules of the Cold War.

The thing that’s different is an invasion over imperialist motives, something not seen since after the Cold War. What makes it especially appalling is that it’s an invasion of a democratic country, highlighting an attack on freedom by a despotic nation. But…to the point of conflict with NATO in particular, we’re not there (knocks on wood).
Ok, so we don't ask nato for anything and we alone build up our forces and go into ukraine, it's not like we haven't done it before with other countries.

Ok, so we don't ask nato for anything and we alone build up our forces and go into ukraine, it's not like we haven't done it before with other countries.
Are you gen X or older?

PFFFFFFT.

I'm not being held hostage at all.
Right now I'm having some breakfast, gotta lot of fat in this one but I eat oatmeal and fruit 98% of breakfasts so I'm indulging today.
Then the dog Geddy and I are going to go to town and hit the grocery store, gotta get my corned beef brisket for tomorrow! I make my famous Reuben's every St Pats, sauerkraut and some nice thousand island and marbled rye. Looking forward to it.
Got a doctors appointment this afternoon, I think it will be warm enough to take the Harley! Sun is really shining out there, supposed to be 69º and sunny so hell yeah I'll take the Harley! Thankfully I have my free BidenCare™ plan so no worries there.
Tomorrow gonna get up and throw that brisket in the crock pot I can smell it already!

Now....you were saying something about "being held hostage"....what are you talking about there? Where is this happening at?
I'm just finishing my brisket from a few days ago, good luck with yours. It seems to me I keep hearing on here, we should be doing more. So, I go and suggest sending troops and all I hear is oh no, can't do that, nukes. So what do we do, send more thoughts and prayers? I'm sure you got the gist of my blah, blah, blah. Have fun on the bike today.

Right, you just equate military intervention with “balls.” Definitely the sign of a former warmonger.
Ummm...no.

I equate "balls" with courage.

Back
Top Bottom