• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If mitt romney is the nominee who do you vote for

If mitt romney is the nominee who do you vote for

• Total voters
A year ago it was all but certain I would have voted for any Republican except Ron Paul due to the extreme dishonesty of Obama, among other things.
But with the Republicans making their campaign on the most ultra-rightwing and religious control freak social issues - targeting women and gays - I can't vote Republican. So it would appear my vote will go for Obama as a choice between an extremely corrupt President and his hate-based Republican opponent whose campaign is based upon all the individual rights he wants to take away by using the power of the government for oppressing people on behalf of his personal religious beliefs.

By the Republicans going to the absolutely most extreme radical religious right in declarations of all the rights they want to take away and deny I believe the Republicans lost any chance they had of winning.

Voting 3rd party is pointless.

Last edited:
A year ago it was all but certain I would have voted for any Republican except Ron Paul due to the extreme dishonesty of Obama, among other things.
But with the Republicans making their campaign on the most ultra-rightwing and religious control freak social issues - targeting women and gays - I can't vote Republican. So it would appear my vote will go for Obama as a choice between an extremely corrupt President and his hate-based Republican opponent whose campaign is based upon all the individual rights he wants to take away by using the power of the government for oppressing people on behalf of his personal religious beliefs.

LOL. Romney is absolutely none of those things, joko; and he WILL be the Republican nominee.

Voting 3rd party is pointless.

No, it's not. It serves the purpose of PUNISHING the Republican Party for failing to nominate a Social and Fiscal Conservative yet again.

LOL. Romney is absolutely none of those things, joko; and he WILL be the Republican nominee.

No, it's not. It serves the purpose of PUNISHING the Republican Party for failing to nominate a Social and Fiscal Conservative yet again.

Romney becoming the nominee is truly bizarre. Republicans are being forced into supporting the candidate that at least 2/3rds don't want. He is Harvard elite so the media has pushed him all along. The primary - because they use pluralities rather than majorities - is a total failure of democracy in which anti-democracy prevails. If run-offs were required between the top two as required in ALL other elections, Romney would not have a chance. The primary system is designed to give the selection process to party bosses away from the public.

Of your second statement, that has merit.

Romney becoming the nominee is truly bizarre. Republicans are being forced into supporting the candidate that at least 2/3rds don't want. He is Harvard elite so the media has pushed him all along. The primary - because they use pluralities rather than majorities - is a total failure of democracy in which anti-democracy prevails. If run-offs were required between the top two as required in ALL other elections, Romney would not have a chance. The primary system is designed to give the selection process to party bosses away from the public.

It's not bizarre at all. All too many people these days have no convictions. They do not have an ideological attachment to anything, nevermind a political philosophy. They simply vote for a party and nothing more.

As for the primary system.... it's a small fish in a large ocean. The entire political landscape and system is worthless at this point, and has been for decades.

Of your second statement, that has merit.

Which is something they need to be punished for regularly and brutally.

You conservatives standing by your convictions have made the lib very happy. Get a clue.

It is better to stand on one's convictions and LOSE than to abandon those convictions to WIN. The victory of the moment will not overtake the loss in Eternity for violating one's own principles. Any man who can ignore his convictions in such a way has no convictions to begin with and will be nothing more than an empty husk when he stands in Judgement before his Creators.

You conservatives standing by your convictions have made the lib very happy. Get a clue.

Electing a Republican that doesn't live up to conservative ideals is not a win for conservatives. If they wanted to elect liberals, they'd vote for liberals.

Wrong, you will be voting for obama if Romney gets nominated, be honest with yourself.

Considering Romney's history why do you think he will be different than Obama? IS he going to crack down on illegals and the scum who hire them?IS he going to stand up for second amendment rights when he has supported anti-2nd amendment laws? Is he going to stand up to the man made global warming fairy tale believers who want to push cap and trade and other nonsense? Is a liberal politician is going to appoint conservatives to the supreme court when he has a history of appointing liberals at the state level?It seems to be you will be getting Obama and if you continue to help the media and GOP prop up liberal republicans every presidential election then you will most certainly get someone worse than Obama with a R next to his name. People like you would vote for Obama if he had a R next to his name and the media said he was the republican front runner.

Last edited:
You are going to vote for a blatant liberal and you have the nerve to accuse others of making a lib very happy?

Last edited:
So since most conservatives believe Mitt isn't a real conservative, and so therefore won't vote for him, and everyone pretty much agrees the other candidates are pretty unelectable, does that mean we've kind of settled on Obama by default as the winner in this election?

As a pure analyst without bias towards result, I predict Romney vs. Obama and an Obama victory on margins similar to McCain vs. Obama, or perhaps smaller but not greater.

So since most conservatives believe Mitt isn't a real conservative, and so therefore won't vote for him, and everyone pretty much agrees the other candidates are pretty unelectable, does that mean we've kind of settled on Obama by default as the winner in this election?

Pretty much.

As a pure analyst without bias towards result, I predict Romney vs. Obama and an Obama victory on margins similar to McCain vs. Obama, or perhaps smaller but not greater.

I disagree. I think there may well be a SIZEABLE increase in Obama's margin of victory (and I hope there is) in November. I truly believe a large portion of the Right Wing will either stay home or vote for a Third Party Candidate, thus decreasing the "Republican" turnout significantly. This will appear to Obama to be a MANDATE from the people and he will use it to go forward with the more extreme policies along the lines of what William Jefferson Clinton attempted to do during his first term in office. Especially if the Democrats maintain/regain at least one House of Congress.

Third Party. Our two party system sucks.

The anti-Obama vote will be strong this election. However average joes will vote in record numbers. Average joes double down on Obama. Obama wins in a not so close election.

Romney is a moderate liberal. He would be better than Obama, at least, for that alone.

I don't know about that. Either way there's a Liberal in the White House and at least with Obama I KNOW that whatever he's trying to do is wrong, whereas with Romney I have to take the time to actually look at it before making that judgement. Seems like Obama is the better option in my mind.

I don't have the power to stop the President from doing something wrong in either event. I just have to hope to elect the President who will do the least wrong.

I don't have the power to stop the President from doing something wrong in either event. I just have to hope to elect the President who will do the least wrong.

As someone who lived through 4 years of Governor Romney, I cannot assume under any circumstances that he would do less wrong than Obama.

As someone who lived through 4 years of Governor Romney, I cannot assume under any circumstances that he would do less wrong than Obama.

Really? Can think of two off the top of my head, NLRB appointments come 2013 and Eric Holder out of the DOJ. Sh!t, that alone is worth it.

Really? Can think of two off the top of my head, NLRB appointments come 2013 and Eric Holder out of the DOJ. Sh!t, that alone is worth it.

Have you seen the judges he appointed here in Massachusetts? Do you know that we STILL have among the worst firearms restrictions in the country here in Massachusetts? Romney was no help on either one of those issues while Governor.

OK stand by your convictions people ask yourselves some hard questions about what happened when you refused to vote for McCain. Would super lib Soda be on the supreme court? Would gulf oil wells have been shut down? Would the Canada pipeline have been shut down? Would we be trillions more in debt? Would gas prices have doubled? Would the economy still be on life support? Would we have Obama care? Would we have spent billions bombing Libya? Would Mr and Mrs McCain take their own 747s on vacations around the world? I could go on all night but hopefully you get my point?

OK stand by your convictions people ask yourselves some hard questions about what happened when you refused to vote for McCain. Would super lib Soda be on the supreme court? Would gulf oil wells have been shut down? Would the Canada pipeline have been shut down? Would we be trillions more in debt? Would gas prices have doubled? Would the economy still be on life support? Would we have Obama care? Would we have spent billions bombing Libya? Would Mr and Mrs McCain take their own 747s on vacations around the world? I could go on all night but hopefully you get my point?

For the most part I believe the answers to your questions is "YES".

OK stand by your convictions people ask yourselves some hard questions about what happened when you refused to vote for McCain. Would super lib Soda be on the supreme court?

He voted yes to confirm Ruth Bader Ginsburg,so why wouldn't he nominate super lib Soda?
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
On the Nomination (ruth bader ginsburg to be an associate justice
Grouped By Vote Position
YEAs ---96
Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Boren (D-OK)
Boxer (D-CA)
Bradley (D-NJ)
Breaux (D-LA)
Brown (R-CO)
Bryan (D-NV)
Bumpers (D-AR)
Burns (R-MT)
Byrd (D-WV)
Campbell (D-CO)
Chafee (R-RI)
Coats (R-IN)
Cochran (R-MS)
Cohen (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Coverdell (R-GA)
Craig (R-ID)
D'Amato (R-NY)
Danforth (R-MO)
Daschle (D-SD)
DeConcini (D-AZ)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dole (R-KS)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durenberger (R-MN)
Exon (D-NE)
Faircloth (R-NC)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Ford (D-KY)
Glenn (D-OH)
Gorton (R-WA)
Graham (D-FL)
Gramm (R-TX)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hatfield (R-OR)
Heflin (D-AL)
Hollings (D-SC)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (R-VT)
Johnston (D-LA)
Kassebaum (R-KS)
Kempthorne (R-ID)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerrey (D-NE)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Mack (R-FL)
Mathews (D-TN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Metzenbaum (D-OH)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Mitchell (D-ME)
Moseley-Braun (D-IL)
Moynihan (D-NY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nunn (D-GA)
Packwood (R-OR)
Pell (D-RI)
Pressler (R-SD)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reid (D-NV)
Robb (D-VA)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Roth (R-DE)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Sasser (D-TN)
Shelby (D-AL)
Simon (D-IL)
Simpson (R-WY)
Specter (R-PA)
Stevens (R-AK)
Thurmond (R-SC)
Wallop (R-WY)
Warner (R-VA)
Wellstone (D-MN)
Wofford (D-PA)
NAYs ---3
Helms (R-NC)
Nickles (R-OK)
Smith (R-NH)
Not Voting - 1
Riegle

Would gulf oil wells have been shut down? Would the Canada pipeline have been shut down? Would we be trillions more in debt? Would gas prices have doubled? Would the economy still be on life support? Would we have Obama care? Would we have spent billions bombing Libya? Would Mr and Mrs McCain take their own 747s on vacations around the world? I could go on all night but hopefully you get my point?

Considering the fact he is a RINO the answer to most of those would be yes. Except they would probably fly Airforce 1 around the world on vacaton and it would probably be McCain care instead of Obama care.

Last edited:
OK I give up! I just wish I could get you nuts lined up at attention while I ranted and and raved, called you names, insulted your mama, threw things at you, made you do pushups and get all red in the face. :lol:

At this point, I would vote for Romney or Huntsman (long shot, but I am hoping) if they gain the GOP nomination. Anyone else and I will vote for Obama.

OK I give up! I just wish I could get you nuts lined up at attention while I ranted and and raved, called you names, insulted your mama, threw things at you, made you do pushups and get all red in the face. :lol:

I used to be like you. I used to believe that republican=good and democrat=bad regardless of how liberal that republican is. But I realized that a liberal is still a liberal and that liberal will support and enact liberal laws and support and make liberal appointments. If Romney is elected you will be just as pissed as me when he votes for amnesty, keeps or expands Obamacare, ****s on the 2nd amendment,makes liberal appointments to the S.C. and many other liberal things,but it will be your fault and the fault of every die hard republican who voted for Romney.

Last edited:
Not happy with the options, but I will vote against Obama. That probably means voting for Romney.

I'll be voting third party if Romney takes the nomination.

Good for you. I like people with the guts to vote for what they want. In fact, IMO those who go into the booth and do that whole "hold my nose while I vote" should have their tongues cut out of their head because seeing how they didn't vote for what they want, they should be restrained from bitching about the results of the ensuing years of having a president they voted for that they didn't want in the first place.

Political cowards ftl!

Back
Top Bottom