• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Joe Arpaio is still in office, can't the Governor of NC also resist US Just-us Dpt

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I was just thinking, if a state official resists the Federal Just-us Department with enough resolve doesn't it usually pay off?

Re: If Joe Arpaio is still in office, can't the Governor of NC also resist US Just-us

How has it "paid off" for Arpaio?

Re: If Joe Arpaio is still in office, can't the Governor of NC also resist US Just-us

Reduced costs for incarceration for one.

He is still in big trouble for refusing to follow the law and launching a vendetta investigation against the federal judge that is over his trial.

And vastly increased "administrative" costs

Sheriff Joe Arpaio has always done it his way

The only thing this proves is that we have an overly litigious legal system. When it's easier/cheaper for businesses to settle for payouts instead of proving there isn't a case that says something. As much as I dislike Palin, she also faced the same issue and she wasn't convicted of a single thing. That didn't stop the lawsuits from liberals from piling up, though.

In other words, you only proved that certain interest groups don't like him.

The only thing this proves is that we have an overly litigious legal system. When it's easier/cheaper for businesses to settle for payouts instead of proving there isn't a case that says something. As much as I dislike Palin, she also faced the same issue and she wasn't convicted of a single thing. That didn't stop the lawsuits from liberals from piling up, though.

In other words, you only proved that certain interest groups don't like him.

Prisoners who had their 8th amendment rights violated is an "interest group", what type of warm ups do you do to preform those of mental gymnastics?

In other words, you only proved that certain interest groups don't like him

Who's stopping you from sending your last penny to him?

:lol:

Prisoners who had their 8th amendment rights violated is an "interest group", what type of warm ups do you do to preform those of mental gymnastics?

Lol...as was pointed out. The conditions they are in are no worse, and in many ways better, than what the military has had to live in on deployments (no one shooting at them and such), so please spare me the sob story.

Is the tent city shut down? No? Oh ok.

Who's stopping you from sending your last penny to him?

Why would I send him any money? I don't even live in Arizona. That aside, their tax payers will pay for it. Liberals love wasting tax payer money.

Why would I send him any money? I don't even live in Arizona. That aside, their tax payers will pay for it.
Liberals love wasting tax payer money.

Liberals love to see right wing scofflaws get what's coming to them.

He is still in big trouble for refusing to follow the law and launching a vendetta investigation against the federal judge that is over his trial.
But how is being in "big trouble" affecting him in a realistic day-to-day sense?

He's still in office and he still seems to be doing everything he's always done. :shrug:

Note: NOT a fan of the man, just sayin'...

Liberals love to see right wing scofflaws get what's coming to them.

Has anything came to him? Is he still in office? What's his approval rating? The only thing I've seen is that a sheriff has a bully pulpit much larger than any sheriff has ever had. So if by "getting what's coming to him" you mean wild popularity then, yes, he got what has been coming to him.

Has anything came to him? Is he still in office? What's his approval rating? The only thing I've seen is that a sheriff has a bully pulpit much larger than any sheriff has ever had. So if by "getting what's coming to him" you mean wild popularity then, yes,
he got what has been coming to him.

Come back and tell us all about it thirty years from now.

Come back and tell us all about it thirty years from now.

Joe is 83 years old. If he's alive 30 years from now that will really be something. But, it's most likely that he will be dying sometime in the next few years.

Lol...as was pointed out. The conditions they are in are no worse, and in many ways better, than what the military has had to live in on deployments (no one shooting at them and such), so please spare me the sob story.

A federal judge has sided with inmates' claims that conditions in Maricopa County jails continue to violate their constitutional rights.

Judge backs county inmates in jail case

Richard Post was a paraplegic inmate arrested in 1996 for possession of marijuana and criminal trespass. Post was placed in a restraint chair by guards and his neck was broken in the process. The event, caught on video, shows guards smiling and laughing while Post is being injured.

Brian Crenshaw was a legally blind and mentally disabled inmate who suffered fatal injuries while being held in Maricopa County Jail for shoplifting. The injuries that led to his death were initially blamed on a fall from his bunk but were later discovered to have been the result of a brutal beating by jail guards

On March 26, 1996, Jose Rodriquez, 39, died in a pool of his own vomit on a jail floor. His cries for help went ignored by Arpaio's jail employees. Rodriguez's dehydration, fever and twitching ultimately led to his death, even while inmates shouted for help

Deborah Braillard, 46, was documented as a diabetic in the jail's health records. Her cellmates say a nurse did not give Braillard insulin, and then detention officers ignored her when she went into diabetic shock. Braillard died on January 23, 2005, ultimately from lack of insulin

If thats how you think our military is being treated and are okay with it, then you are one sick puppy

Judge backs county inmates in jail case

Richard Post was a paraplegic inmate arrested in 1996 for possession of marijuana and criminal trespass. Post was placed in a restraint chair by guards and his neck was broken in the process. The event, caught on video, shows guards smiling and laughing while Post is being injured.

Brian Crenshaw was a legally blind and mentally disabled inmate who suffered fatal injuries while being held in Maricopa County Jail for shoplifting. The injuries that led to his death were initially blamed on a fall from his bunk but were later discovered to have been the result of a brutal beating by jail guards

On March 26, 1996, Jose Rodriquez, 39, died in a pool of his own vomit on a jail floor. His cries for help went ignored by Arpaio's jail employees. Rodriguez's dehydration, fever and twitching ultimately led to his death, even while inmates shouted for help

Deborah Braillard, 46, was documented as a diabetic in the jail's health records. Her cellmates say a nurse did not give Braillard insulin, and then detention officers ignored her when she went into diabetic shock. Braillard died on January 23, 2005, ultimately from lack of insulin

If thats how you think our military is being treated and are okay with it, then you are one sick puppy

The examples you gave are not unique to Joe Arpaio's prison and how he runs them. I mean, if you want to do a general critique of our prison system in general, I'll agree with you there.

If you want to talk about his various policies, like his tent city program, then that's an entirely different matter. And, yeah, that's on par with with I've had to live in.

The examples you gave are not unique to Joe Arpaio's prison and how he runs them. I mean, if you want to do a general critique of our prison system in general, I'll agree with you there.

If you want to talk about his various policies, like his tent city program, then that's an entirely different matter. And, yeah, that's on par with with I've had to live in.

They are not unique however the problems appear much more frequently in his prison and as I pointed out end up costing the tax payer more in the long run.

They are not unique however the problems appear much more frequently in his prison and as I pointed out end up costing the tax payer more in the long run.

All prisons cost tax payers money for these types of things. Is there evidence that his prison has a higher rate of prisoner abuse? It's my understanding that prisoner abuse is fairly common. I'm no fan of how our prisons are generally run, believe me. I just don't see how we can easily fix it. Humans in power positions tend to abuse other humans. Even "normal" people do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

Military members get medicine, people in tent city don't. Military people don't die while being housed.

Dead End | Phoenix New Times

Military members get medicine, people in tent city don't. Military people don't die while being housed.

Dead End | Phoenix New Times

Again, this is not anything unique to that prison, nor does it any specific policy. If you want to criticize our prison system in general then, yes, there are definite problems that has nothing to do with this particular prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_of_Daniel_Chong

The incarceration of Daniel Chong was an incident in April 2012 in San Diego, California, when agents from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) accidentally left a detainee locked in a holding room and forgot he was there. The cell contained no food, water or bathroom facilities.[1] Five days later when he was found, he had to be hospitalized for several days for a variety of medical problems. The incident touched off a national furor, resulting in several investigations and a $20 million claim filed against the DEA. The incident has been described as a "Kafkaesque nightmare,"[2] a "debacle," and "one of the worst cases of its kind."[3]

As far as medical care for service members...I'm not sure what rock you're hiding under to have missed all the issue surrounding the VA but...

307,000 vets may have died awaiting VA care, report says - CNNPolitics.com

(CNN)Hundreds of thousands of veterans listed in the Department of Veterans Affairs enrollment system died before their applications for care were processed, according to a report issued Wednesday.

The VA's inspector general found that out of about 800,000 records stalled in the agency's system for managing health care enrollment, there were more than 307,000 records that belonged to veterans who had died months or years in the past. The inspector general said due to limitations in the system's data, the number of records did not necessarily represent veterans actively seeking enrollment in VA health care.

And this is for individuals who have actually sacrificed for our country, not criminals.

Arpaio is a filthy corrupt piece of crap who deserves to spend the rest of his greasy life toiling in prison. He got busted, next will be the criminal trial. He has always been a corrupt phony, relying on the frightened angry old people to back his nefarious deeds.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Found Guilty on Three Counts of Contempt by Federal Judge, Could Face Criminal Trial | Phoenix New Times

Back
Top Bottom