• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If Jesus came back again today as an itinerant preacher...

Dezaad

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Who would he recognize as being his followers?

Where would he visit?

Which single individual would he contact first?

What would he say, if asked, about gays in the militaries of the world?

Would we hear more preaching from him about greed or about sex?

What types of people would like him, and who would hate him?

What would you ask him?

Please feel free to use examples of his preaching and life as recorded in the Bible to support your answers.

If Jesus came back I think he would say things that a lot of churches today wouldn't like or agree with.. and some would reject him. I think the same thing would happen to him. But he would be crucified by the Christians this time..

All people who try to live a good life.

Where would he visit?

The Projects.

The Pope. "Who the hell do you think you are???"

"Why do you ask? What difference does it make?"

Greed.

Not applicable. No one would believe him.

What would you ask him?

What took you so damn long?

He would likely be assassinated, if not by religious quarrel, then by government.

Who would he recognize as being his followers? The ones who truly follow Him.

Where would he visit? I imagine he'd want to "go into all the world"...

Which single individual would he contact first? My guess would be that it wouldn't be the Pope.

What would he say, if asked, about gays in the militaries of the world? He would say that homosexuality is a sin.

Would we hear more preaching from him about greed or about sex? Since both greed and sexual immorality are prevalent in the world, I say both equally.

What types of people would like him, and who would hate him? Those who follow Him would like him (duh) and those who love sin would hate him (duh).

What would you ask him? Wow....hm....so many things....I'll have to think about that one.

.Those who follow Him would like him (duh) and those who love sin would hate him (duh).

Really? That's not exactly how it played out the last time. He hung out with the tax collectors and prostitutes, and roundly condemned the righteous religious hierarchy as "whited sepulchres."

I'm not sure you'd recognize him, Mellie. I think you'd think he was a dirty, smelly, sandle-wearing, liberal hippy. ;)

It's a pretty pointless question. The Bible is clear that the 2nd Coming will not be in such a manner.

It's a pretty pointless question.
Not pointless at all. In fact, these types of hypothetical questions about what Jesus would be like should be the only ones that matter to those who believe he is god and died for their sins. I tend to believe that believers who don't like these questions wouldn't like Jesus much.

The Bible is clear that the 2nd Coming will not be in such a manner.
It is irrelevant in what manner Jesus will return when considering hypothetical questions to examine what he would be like in this world. Presumably he would be a lot like he was before, and that is worth thinking about. Some people don't want to. Answering the question as to why should have been on the list, I guess.

Those who act as according to his teachings.
Where would he visit?
Israel, to prove the Jews wrong.
The pope, as he represents the higest office of the largest church devoted to him.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
Greed
He would be hated by the unrepentant.
What would you ask him?
could you beat Chuck Norris in a mud wrestling match?

Who would he recognize as being his followers? The ones who truly follow Him.Mellie, I don't think this is really an answer. Who are the people who truly follow him? What are they like? What do they do with their lives? How does what they do affect the world to make it a better place, if at all? And so forth.

Where would he visit? I imagine he'd want to "go into all the world"...Ok, where would he focus his time? What types of places would he emphasize?

Which single individual would he contact first? My guess would be that it wouldn't be the Pope.Why not?

What would he say, if asked, about gays in the militaries of the world? He would say that homosexuality is a sin. He might or might not, if asked whether it is a sin or not. But, I rather think he would answer the question asked about gays in the militaries of the world.

Would we hear more preaching from him about greed or about sex? Since both greed and sexual immorality are prevalent in the world, I say both equally.Hmmm. They were just as much problems in the ancient world. Did he focus on them both equally, then?

What types of people would like him, and who would hate him? Those who follow Him would like him (duh) and those who love sin would hate him (duh). This is just as much a non-answer as the first.

What would you ask him? Wow....hm....so many things....I'll have to think about that one.

It doesn't seem like you really want to think about the answers to these questions, actually. That's fine. But, why not?

Last edited:
Not pointless at all. In fact, these types of hypothetical questions about what Jesus would be like should be the only ones that matter to those who believe he is god and died for their sins. I tend to believe that believers who don't like these questions wouldn't like Jesus much.

It's hard to even ask those kinds of questions in the first place because a large portion of Christians haven't even read the Bible, or they have but it was done in a setting where they were indoctrinated to only interpret it one way. I have found that the most open minded people about this topic are those who were given the opportunity to read and process the Bible on their own, arrive at their own basic understanding, and then they went out and sought other views.

The missing time of Jesus' life in the Bible is very suspicious to me. You're telling me that nothing happened between the time he was born and when he started his ministry in Jerusalem? I think Jesus made it to India and learned about Buddhism in the time gap that is no longer talked about in the Bible. His sermons on love, compassion, love for thy neighbour, and the way that he showed care and support for even the most dejected members of society all fits in with Buddhist ideology. (You can read some ideas about it here.) Of course, the Bible has been modified since then for political power purposes and now we see Jesus talking about how some people deserve to be struck down and what not, but I really doubt that was how he behaved.

Anyway... the main point I am trying to get across is that this kind of discussion is incredibly important and it seems like so few Christians are willing to have it because they have been brainwashed with fear to believe that they are somehow violating the faith by even considering it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom