• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If i had had two gay parents

mikhail

blond bombshell
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If i had been brought by a same sex couple i know for a fact it would of resulted in me getting the **** kicked out of me every other day at school.I cant think of a better way to have got myself bullied physically and verbally.

Its nice a ideology that there is all of a sudden there is a really tolerant society out there that would accept this but its simply not true.Especially in the kind of school i went to a below national standards state school in the uk.

maybe in a rich middle class environment where people force themselves not to speak their minds and try to be politically correct as possible an adopted child may get away with only slight mental scarring.

Its a question about being realistic towards what peoples opinions are not what you think they should be.

Ah, so your wild speculation is now "evidence"?

Indeed. It is, as usual, an excuse to discriminate.

What about interracial couples? How about inter-religious couples? Hell, here in the US we had a big problem with race relations without having interracial couples. Just being a black child with black parents in a white area was reason enough to be treated poorly. but guess what? people survived, adapted and eventually that changed. It's still changing, there's still a road to walk as far as ending ignorance and intolerance goes, but the walk has to begin sometime and the sooner the better.

mikhail said:
If i had been brought by a same sex couple i know for a fact it would of resulted in me getting the **** kicked out of me every other day at school.I cant think of a better way to have got myself bullied physically and verbally.

Its nice a ideology that there is all of a sudden there is a really tolerant society out there that would accept this but its simply not true.Especially in the kind of school i went to a below national standards state school in the uk.

maybe in a rich middle class environment where people force themselves not to speak their minds and try to be politically correct as possible an adopted child may get away with only slight mental scarring.

Its a question about being realistic towards what peoples opinions are not what you think they should be.

We had the same problem with couples of different races! It took time, but eventualy people got used to it like they should.

mikhail said:

I had the s**t kicked out of me every other day at school without having gay parents.

vergiss said:
I had the s**t kicked out of me every other day at school without having gay parents.

First time it happened to me, my Mom handed me a baseball bat and told me not to come home until there was blood on it.

Had a couple fights after that, but it was the last time anybody thought they could beat me up for the Hell of it. Probably the most important lesson I ever learned about dealing with bullies.

First time it happened to me, my Mom handed me a baseball bat and told me not to come home until there was blood on it.

Had a couple fights after that, but it was the last time anybody thought they could beat me up for the Hell of it. Probably the most important lesson I ever learned about dealing with bullies.
thats mental!

Man I wish I had two gay parents. For sure I would have a better fashion sense than I do now.

mikhail said:

people's opinions change as society changes. as more gay couples adopt, peoples opinions of it will change.

and as someone else already pointed out, kids dont need a reason to treat other kids like crap, they just do it.

Kelzie said:
Man I wish I had two gay parents. For sure I would have a better fashion sense than I do now.

only if they were men. lesbians have terrible fashion sense. :lol:

star2589 said:
only if they were men. lesbians have terrible fashion sense. :lol:

Yeah, that's true....but if they were lesbians nobody would be leaving the toilet seat up!

There is no question that in certain circles children coming from same sex parents would theoretically face a tough time, not only in school, but also any after school activities, and just being around. But, what makes you think that the same sex parents are going to live there? There are areas where homosexuality is much more accepted. What makes you think that the parents won't find a place where it is more accepted?

mikhail said:

I went to an ordinary school in the 60s in a small town that could be
described as conservative, Conservative, and certainly not rich. One of the
boys in my class was being brought up by his mother and her lesbian lover.
Everyone knew about it.

The boys at school didn't give a damn; they seemed more interested in
picking on kids for more obvious reasons: fat, thin, tall, short, clever, ...

What we did pick up on, very strongly, was the way adults would smile in the
presence of his parents and then make comments behind their backs ("its
disgusting", "I worry about the child", "they should do something about it").

It just convinced us that old people (i.e. 20+) were truly old farts.

adults are so much more small-minded than kids!

mikhail said:
If i had been brought by a same sex couple i know for a fact it would of resulted in me getting the **** kicked out of me every other day at school.I cant think of a better way to have got myself bullied physically and verbally........

I guess you might be right. Maybe we should outlaw interracial parenting as well since that does not go over very well in some parts of the South. Sure would save a lot of rural southern interracial children from a lot of ridicule at school.

Probably should carry it a bit further actually. We probably should outlaw particularly nerdy people from having children as their is a higher likelyhood of them having nerdy children and we all know what happens to them in school.

I mean come on, forgive me for being condescending, but your logic is absurd.

SouthernDemocrat said:
I guess you might be right. Maybe we should outlaw interracial parenting as well since that does not go over very well in some parts of the South. Sure would save a lot of rural southern interracial children from a lot of ridicule at school.

Probably should carry it a bit further actually. We probably should outlaw particularly nerdy people from having children as their is a higher likelyhood of them having nerdy children and we all know what happens to them in school.

I mean come on, forgive me for being condescending, but your logic is absurd.

Im not sayin this as some kind of having a go at gay people in general. Im just saying society is not ready for same sex parents.

Its not comparatable to "nerdy" people or interacial parenting as these are there own children.

I thought the idea of adoption services was to make sure a child can the most stable life possible.

mikhail said:
Im not sayin this as some kind of having a go at gay people in general. Im just saying society is not ready for same sex parents.

Its not comparatable to "nerdy" people or interacial parenting as these are there own children.

I thought the idea of adoption services was to make sure a child can the most stable life possible.

Uh, gay people can have biological children, too. There's always artifical insemination, and even willingness to go about it the "normal" way. Look at Will and Grace.

If I had gay parents
I'd party in the morning
I'd party in the evening..........

mikhail said:

You know, you're really full of horse-pucky!!

My son has been raised by two lesbians

(one of whom has impeccable fashion sense) and has NEVER been beat up, picked on, called names or bullied in any way, shape or form.
We live in a fairly mixed economic area with a predominantly white, conservative, Christian hierarchy.

My son makes no special arrangements to hide the fact that he's been raised by two lesbians. He also doesn't wear it on his sleeve. He's just himself.
A likeable kid with a boatload of friends, varied interests and a personality that precedes him.
Growing up and it's affects are part what your parents do, part what your friends say and part what you make of it all.
My son has this unique ability to not allow small minded idiots bug him. He doesn't hold grudges and really couldn't care less what others thought of him because he's decided to enjoy his teen years, learn from his experiences and make sure he leaves himself open for many!

yes i know gay people can have children obvously. Thats not the issue i was talking about adoption.I just think its tough on the child.

mikhail said:
yes i know gay people can have children obvously. Thats not the issue i was talking about adoption.I just think its tough on the child.

Did I say anything about HOW I came to have a teenage son? No.
I was talking about RAISING a child.

My father was adopted, granted not by gay/lesbian parents, but he was still adopted. I don't think what sexaulity your parents are has much to do with it. Loving parents are loving parents. It's all a matter of outlook on life, who you deal with sexuality, if you as parents are ashamed of your sexuality or if you put undue pressures on your kid in regard to sexuality.

mikhail said:

There's already an entire thread concerning gay adoption, if that's what you're looking to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom