• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If I could wave a magic wand...

...I would give all people the gift of realizing when it's raining outside. And to ask for what you need.

A long time ago, a friend who was an Admittance Coordinator at a nursing home told me this story she always used when talking to the adult children of a parent when they found out how much the nursing home was going to cost a month...

"Look, your parents saved all of their lives for a rainy day. Let's face it. It's pouring outside right now."

I've been living my life like that since I was diagnosed. And, as you read all of the I's, please don't think I'm bragging. No! I'm hoping to impart what I'm learning to others...

I use Uber frequently even though I can easily drive. They often get me closer to the venue I'm attending than I can if I drive.

I order most of my groceries from Peapod, an online delivery service. I'd bought a carload of groceries including 48 cans of cat food. I mean $250 worth of stuff. I dreaded putting them away, so I asked the delivery guy to put away the canned goods. There were plenty. I tipped him generously.

I use the complimentary wheelchair service at O'Hare. Without it I couldn't fly. A generous tip.

I tip valets twice. $5 for leaving my car at the curb. Another $5 when I retrieve it.

I have a handyman I call and start a new list as soon as he leaves. I have my house cleaned twice a month. I ask for restaurant tables in close proximity to the door. My grass gets mowed and edged weekly

If something is convenient, I buy it to make my life easier. I've streamlined my chores to conserve energy, always thinking of an easier way... even if it means donating something that doesn't work as well.

I'm quick to ask for accommodation when I need it wherever I go. People, complete strangers, are wonderful.

Why am I telling you this? Believe me, it's not to brag. Not at all. It's because I know many of our members are older and may, hopefully not, find themselves in a tough situation as I have.

Don't be like others I've known who seem to think they can take it with them. I've known more than a few. You can't. Spend it on yourself or a loved one. Get rid of the mindset that says, "That's wasteful," and make your life easier and fill it with as much joy as you can.

And, in the meantime, be the person you hope to run into when/if you ever get into a bad situation...

Sermon over. :lol:

Just make sure you leave enough for your old age.

"And, in the meantime, be the person you hope to run into when/if you ever get into a bad situation..."

That's great!

Back
Top Bottom