• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If George W. Bush Started Arresting Peace Activists. .

Well?

• Yes. He has our best interests at heart

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No. Our civil liberties are being obliterated

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. If he assures us he had a real reason for it.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
GySgt said:
Look simpleton, I have no desire in "debating" with someone who is just merely looking for an argument.

I told you, I'm not just looking for an argument. I'm simply defending my point of view.

GySgt said:
College students go where the crowd is. College students do what their friends do. College is just a step up from High School. This is a long lasting fact that has existed for decades. This is not a notion of my design and I am sorry if that knowledge broke your heart for any aspirations for joining some great wave of ideology one day that barely exists. Maybe when you get to College they will be still be protesting "Save the Whale," or "Save the Rain Forest," or "Save the garden Gnome," "Morning After Pill Plan," etc. I'm sure there will be hundreds for you to choose from. Iraq won't last forever and the fad will choose a different topic.

My heart, broken? I, sir, am a simpleton, as you have said. If I am such, what on Earth makes you think I have been swayed by anything that you have posted?

What you have written is a hollow assertion. I presented the reasoning behind my beliefs; you have simply presented your beliefs. While I do not accuse you of being "not too good at this," given this state of affairs, I think that- in order for you to have supported your accusation of my incompetence- I am at least entitled to a look at the logic supporting your generalizations. The below link does not count for the reason given below, I should think.

GySgt said:
Enjoy a taste of what your not grasping....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/895617/posts

Welcome to the real world of college protesting.

This is a single professor in a single community college; how is it indicative of a nationwide trend? At any rate, it runs contrary to your actual argument, that protests tend to be based on fads. This one was based on the teacher's personal beliefs; participation would have been for a good grade, would it not have? The heading itself says "Protesting for Extra Credits " rather than "Protesting for the Love of Rebellion and in the Spirit of Coolness."

Last edited:
FinnMacCool said:
I don't doubt that its true for some but your conclusions are based on how you viewed the whole thing. I don't mean to generalize but your a soldier so that should speak for itself.

In order to make change, it has always been the young people that had to do actually do something. While the older folks sat idly around, it was the college students that went to war and protested. For good or for bad, that is how its always been. Every generation has had to do something like this. It can only be done at a young age for once you get older, the idealism of youth slowly die away with time. Followers were always the face of protestors and soldiers. The leaders were perhaps the one who really cared but no light was given on them. On the whole, each and every one of them was affected by their times and, as humans are made to conform, they would choose a side.

But basically what I'm trying to say is that protesting, at its core, is generally not dishonest, even if they have followers that are idiots.

This was never an arguement. It's only been trying to be made into one.

The reason "idealism" dies with age is that with age comes wisdom and the understanding of neccessity from time to time. The fact every generation has "had" to do this is erronous. They have chosen to do this and most of the protesters have no idea what they are talking about. Simply crying out "war is bad" is simplistic. These are the individuals that age and grow apart from ideoligies that cannot exist in today's world of threats and dangers.

The same goes for most forms of campus organized protests. How many protest to "Save the Whales," yet do it while wearing makeup? How many protest to "End animal testings," yet take their medicines as they get sick or give their future children medicines as they get sick? Most college protesting is a fad.

By the way, I'm a Marine, not a soldier.

Last edited:
Stupiderthanthou said:
I told you, I'm not just looking for an argument. I'm simply defending my point of view.

What's the point in defending it? Nobody is trying to argue it.

Stupiderthanthou said:
This is a single professor in a single community college; how is it indicative of a nationwide trend? At any rate, it runs contrary to your actual argument, that protests tend to be based on fads. This one was based on the teacher's personal beliefs; participation would have been for a good grade, would it not have? The heading itself says "Protesting for Extra Credits " rather than "Protesting for the Love of Rebellion and in the Spirit of Coolness."

Like I said...it was only a taste of College Campus protesting. Protesting for any other reason other than a belief in what your are protesting for...is dishonest. Wow, right back to my point.

GySgt said:
What's the point in defending it? Nobody is trying to argue it.

You are, and have been for some time. Your first post in reply to mine: "It definately can be...; No...; It matters a great deal..."

I disagreed with you, and you disagreed with me following that. That is debate, each person defending his view against the other's and seeking to discredit those, beside. I may not be "good at this," but I'm pretty sure that that is the nature of the beast.

GySgt said:
Like I said...it was only a taste of College Campus protesting. Protesting for any other reason than a belief in what your are protesting for...is dishonest. Wow, right back to my point.

The "taste" was an isolated incident, and it ran contrary to your argument. It is not anything like convincing evidence favoring your point of view.

Stupiderthanthou said:
You are, and have been for some time. Your first post in reply to mine: "It definately can be...; No...; It matters a great deal..."

I disagreed with you, and you disagreed with me following that. That is debate, each person defending his view against the other's and seeking to discredit those, beside. I may not be "good at this," but I'm pretty sure that that is the nature of the beast.

The "taste" was an isolated incident, and it ran contrary to your argument. It is not anything like convincing evidence favoring your point of view.

One day, you will see for yourself. Draw your own conclusions from the reality you experience, not on what you want it to be.

This was never an arguement. It's only been trying to be made into one.

The reason "idealism" dies with age is that with age comes wisdom and the understanding of neccessity from time to time. The fact every generation has "had" to do this is erronous. They have chosen to do this and most of the protesters have no idea what they are talking about. Simply crying out "war is bad" is simplistic. These are the individuals that age and grow apart from ideoligies that cannot exist in today's world of threats and dangers.

The same goes for most forms of campus organized protests. How many protest to "Save the Whales," yet do it while wearing makeup? How many protest to "End animal testings," yet take their medicines as they get sick or give their future children medicines as they get sick? Most college protesting is a fad.

By the way, I'm a Marine, not a soldier.

Your post is riddled with personal prejudices so its very hard to take seriously.

Human nature pushes people to conform with accepted practices. Rebellion is an acceptable practice in itself. The generalization that "college students" protest because its a fad is something that bothers me. But we may not be speaking on the same page because there are many different forms of protest. Running around with "save the whale" signs, as you say, is one example I suppose. But there are many forms of protest and it is not limited to just beer kegging, shout a slogan, **** your pants, and go home type protest. Protestors like that are what you see so thats why your anger is directed against them. THe same way liberals direct their anger on country singing rednecks. But all they do is encompass an ideal. They ultimately are the ones that fight for change.

Stupiderthanthou said:
I could say the same to you, I think. Agree to disagree?

Yeah, but I drew my conclusion years and years ago. You'll agree when you are exposed to it.

Back
Top Bottom