• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If China wasn't communist, would it still have human rights abuses?

What is the source of oppression in China?

• It's more cultural than communist.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It's both cultural and communist.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It's neither cultural nor communist.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It's less cultural than communist.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XDU

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Is human rights abuse in China a communist thing or a cultural thing?

Before communism, China had nationalistic, anti-communist, anti-capitalist rule under Chiang Kai Chek who "abused" millions to the point of death. Then, fleeing Mao Ze Dung and communism to Taiwan, he suppressed the locals, disallowing them from speaking their own local languages, as ruler of the then Republic of China. He was the longest serving non-royal leader of any country in the 20th century. Before that, China under warlord and royal rule also had human abuses. So, yeah, I'm just saying, IMO, it's just my guess, that there'd be human abuses in China if no longer communist, regardless of being what is now a communist-capitalist country.

Before communism, China had nationalistic, anti-communist, anti-capitalist rule under Chiang Kai Chek who "abused" millions to the point of death. Then, fleeing Mao Ze Dung and communism to Taiwan, he suppressed the locals, disallowing them from speaking their own local languages, as ruler of the then Republic of China. He was the longest serving non-royal leader of any country in the 20th century. Before that, China under warlord and royal rule also had human abuses. So, yeah, I'm just saying, IMO, it's just my guess, that there'd be human abuses in China if no longer communist, regardless of being what is now a communist-capitalist country.
I'm not sure. But they don't really seem to be communists at all. More like a continuation of the dynastic cycle.
Yea, I've always thought the communist regime was a follow-up from preceding Chinese values.

They say that Taiwan is a very democratic nation now.

So maybe the Chinese are as capable of democracy as any other people.

I have been to China multiple times and have many friends and colleagues there.......the Chinese after Chang Kai turned to Mao because they had essentially reached bottom......there was the ruling class and the rest of China.....the China I have seen is a modern prosperous nation with all the foils and troubles of any modern nation......the people are just like people everywhere.....they are free to make their fortune within government restraints just like here in the US......they are educated.....they are forging a future that will in global terms, always be a force to be reckoned with.....they imo do not want to 'conquer' the world.....at least not the everyday folks i know......their leaders know that they can, if it came down to it, 'conquer' the world because they have a third of the world's population along with all the modern weaponry......but they only want to do business and live in peace.....they do not have the some of the freedoms we have......unrestricted free speech and government criticism primarily......they are more interested in commerce and education......they have a 10000 year old culture and it works

If you keep reporting the truth nobody is going to read what you say...

China is a very different society from ours. This I know from marriage to a native born Taiwanese. In America, a common bumper sticker is "If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes". In China, a common saying is "The tallest blade of grass gets cut down". Traditional Chinese culture recognizes two groups of people, Chinese and Barbarians. The Chinese tend to view life as a zero sum game. For one to gain, another must lose. Your neighbors death is not a matter for sorrow, but an opportunity for you to acquire his land. This is probably due to the fact that China has been overcrowded for thousands of years. NYC seems to have similar attitudes. If the world becomes sufficiently overcrowded, this may be the future of Mankind. Not a pretty picture!

Human rights abuses occur in every political system,

Canada abused the native population, so did Australia
The US abused its native population and kept slaves for the first 100 years of its formal existence

Turkey had abused its Kurdish population

Right now a strong Democratic country is the least likely to abuse its citizens ( it can and will abuse foreigners in countries they have invaded) While authoritarian countries are more likely to abuse its citizens. Communism has nothing to do with it as capitalist countries with authoritarian governments can be just as abusive

I have been to China multiple times and have many friends and colleagues there.......the Chinese after Chang Kai turned to Mao because they had essentially reached bottom......there was the ruling class and the rest of China.....the China I have seen is a modern prosperous nation with all the foils and troubles of any modern nation......the people are just like people everywhere.....they are free to make their fortune within government restraints just like here in the US......they are educated.....they are forging a future that will in global terms, always be a force to be reckoned with.....they imo do not want to 'conquer' the world.....at least not the everyday folks i know......their leaders know that they can, if it came down to it, 'conquer' the world because they have a third of the world's population along with all the modern weaponry......but they only want to do business and live in peace.....they do not have the some of the freedoms we have......unrestricted free speech and government criticism primarily......they are more interested in commerce and education......they have a 10000 year old culture and it works

….so your cool with the record of human rights abuses and imprisoning political/freedom dissidents ?

Isn't that the point though?

A culture which ultimately focuses on what "works" is a culture which ultimately abuses human rights. It's willing to endure people getting hurt just to function.

Yea, I've always thought the communist regime was a follow-up from preceding Chinese values.

Every regime in China's history has conformed to and taken advantage of the peoples' values.

Reactions: XDU
If you keep reporting the truth nobody is going to read what you say...

Or object and make their alternative reality known.

It has nothing to do with being communist nor is it inherent in their culture. Its human nature, which would be in check with the rule of law and accountabilty, but the latter are not effect in an autocracy. If America allows is democracy to yield in favor of autocratic leaders, we will have equivalent human rights violations in the US.

That said, even with the democracy and the rule of law, American history is rich with human rights violations, including today.

It's a Han thing.

I'm not sure. But they don't really seem to be communists at all. More like a continuation of the dynastic cycle.

Good point, all Democrat controlled states are a better example of communism

This is probably due to the fact that China has been overcrowded for thousands of years.

I think this is an overlooked factor. China's population 2000 years ago was probably somewhere around 75 million; Europe's population didn't reach 75 million until after 1500.

"China" wasn't exactly unified either; there were rivalries and factions between various kingdoms, each of which was trying to figure out how to manage extremely large populations without having their subjects turn on them.

….so your cool with the record of human rights abuses and imprisoning political/freedom dissidents ?
absolutely not......however we Americans tend to overlook our own human rights abuses throughout history and even today......

Of course they would, just like if America was communist it would still have civil right abuses the way it does now, or worse.

Back
Top Bottom